Bionicle Music (Hypothetical)

Hello! I realize I don't post much on this site anymore, I've been busy with college and such, but I've been poking around every once in a while to check in.

So it's 2018 everyone! 12 years ago, Bionicle released the Inika sets and they were marketed with the help of popular music in the form of "Move Along" by The All-American Rejects.

Looking past gen 1 or gen 2 or whatever gen, if you were releasing a Bionicle wave in 2018 and you were in charge of the marketing for it, would you use a modern artist to help promote the sets? Would you hire a composer to just make some original background music for the commercials? What style/direction would you take the music for said marketing wave? And while we're at it, would you try to capture the atmosphere of the storyline in the song or just try to get something catchy to your target audience to push sales?

There are no right or wrong answers. I'm asking to a) just get some good ole' discussion going and b) I'm studying business at my university (and I'm a musician) and using music for marketing interests me quite a bit.

• Upvote 3

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I'd bring back the music from G1 for background music in Bionicle-related productions, and the marketing would be a ripoff of Immortalized except the guitar solo is that song from the LoMN credits. I think an evolution from Cryoshell's generic, edgy, meaningless alt rock is in order. Just as the franchise should grow and improve, so too should the promotional music mature a little, developing into metal with lyrics directly relating to that year's saga.

• Upvote 2

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

I'd probably just license some good rock and/or metal songs that fit the general atmosphere of the Bionicle universe, at least as a start. Starset and Breaking Benjamin are two such bands that I feel would definitely fit this criterion. Killswitch Engage would also work really well, and perhaps even a few songs by Born of Osiris and The Contortionist (though I know not everyone would be on board with the screaming parts).

Of course, I'd also mix in Nathan Furst's music from the trilogy. I might even have someone remix some songs and include pieces of the score in the remixes, as well as other classics like the Power Pack music and the MNOG/MNOG II soundtracks.

• Upvote 2

Previous usernames:

Joffrey

IAmGroot

I'd bring back the music from G1 for background music in Bionicle-related productions, and the marketing would be a ripoff of Immortalized except the guitar solo is that song from the LoMN credits. I think an evolution from Cryoshell's generic, edgy, meaningless alt rock is in order. Just as the franchise should grow and improve, so too should the promotional music mature a little, developing into metal with lyrics directly relating to that year's saga.

I think Cryoshell's music was good for the time, specifically Gravity Hurts, but I do see the point/argument of growth and improvement. I LOVE metal music and I can assume because the use of metal music signifies catering more marketing on the storyline and therefore targeting more of the older fans than the promotion of the toys?

I'd probably just license some good rock and/or metal songs that fit the general atmosphere of the Bionicle universe, at least as a start. Starset and Breaking Benjamin are two such bands that I feel would definitely fit this criterion. Killswitch Engage would also work really well, and perhaps even a few songs by Born of Osiris and The Contortionist (though I know not everyone would be on board with the screaming parts).

Of course, I'd also mix in Nathan Furst's music from the trilogy. I might even have someone remix some songs and include pieces of the score in the remixes, as well as other classics like the Power Pack music and the MNOG/MNOG II soundtracks.

Breaking Benjamin would be a good fit depending upon the story setting. I do think it would be clever to throw in some musical easter eggs like parts of Furst's score from the original movies as instrumental sections in a rock arrangement or a guitar solo or something. I also think on top of mixing some of the older music into new rock arrangements, it'd be cool to arrange some tracks with a full orchestra and rock group. And like the other post, I'm getting the vibe that the music is more focused on targeting the story followers than the younger ones who'll buy the toys?

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Hrm.  I'm a sucker for MNOG, and I love the music they used there, especially for the fight scenes.  Admittedly, it's so compressed it's hard to make out what instruments are what... but say, Pohatu's fight with the Nui-Jaga.  It's a catchy, fierce tune; it kinda feels like rock, except instead of an electric guitar you have some sort of Middle Eastern-sounding plucked strings, electronic synth notes instead of drums, and the snake-charmer flute instead of a keyboard or a voice.  That's kinda what I think Bionicle music should be - the energy of a rock song, but played on unconventional instruments paired with tech sound.

On another note, one thing I love about the RWBY soundtrack is how each character has their own theme song - not just a melody that plays when they enter the room, but a full on song with lyrics relating to their life/personality.  I think it'd be sweet if that was one thing Bionicle copied, with characters like the Toa and Makuta each getting their own unique songs, with voice-less, acoustic versions if the situation demands it.

• Upvote 2

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

On another note, one thing I love about the RWBY soundtrack is how each character has their own theme song - not just a melody that plays when they enter the room, but a full on song with lyrics relating to their life/personality.  I think it'd be sweet if that was one thing Bionicle copied, with characters like the Toa and Makuta each getting their own unique songs, with voice-less, acoustic versions if the situation demands it.

Agreed. Jeff Williams is a musical mastermind.

Previous usernames:

Joffrey

IAmGroot

Ideally, I'd want new songs to be written specifically for Bionicle, rather than licensing existing songs. The Fold's Ninjago songs or Cryoshell's Bionicle songs are a good example. Something catchy with lyrics would be ideal from a promotional standpoint — after all, look at how much more widespread nostalgia there tends to be for theme songs to shows like Power Rangers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Pokémon, and Transformers than for the parts of their soundtracks that lacked lyrics. The instrumentation, however, ought to feel distinctively Bionicle, bringing together mystical and mechanical sounds.

I don't really follow much in the way of popular music so I have no idea what artists would have the best style for Bionicle or generate the best marketing buzz.

• Upvote 1

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to music, so bear with me...

Having read through your options, I would choose to hire a composer and try to create songs that capture the unique atmosphere of the BIONICLE story. Although I liked the promotional songs from 2006 and onward, I always thought that licensing existing bands seemed against the creative nature of LEGO. I loved the Move Along commercial back in 2006, but in hindsight, it might have been cooler to have had an original song for that year instead. I would ditch the lyrics (no more Piraka rap :P) in favor of instrumental tracks, preferably with some heavy beats and a sort of techno-vibe a la MNOLG. I would try to give the songs a sweeping, cinematic feel that captures the epic scale of the good vs evil conflicts within the BIONICLE storyline.

The only recent example I could think of was an instrumental track from the Mad Max: Fury Road movie. It's one of the more memorable tracks from a movie I've heard in the last few years, and I think it captures the intense atmosphere of the BIONICLE 2006-2008 storyline. I was inspired by your question, so I threw it together into this video. :)

Edited by Disciple
  • Upvote 1

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to music, so bear with me...

Having read through your options, I would choose to hire a composer and try to create songs that capture the unique atmosphere of the BIONICLE story. Although I liked the promotional songs from 2006 and onward, I always thought that licensing existing bands seemed against the creative nature of LEGO. I loved the Move Along commercial back in 2006, but in hindsight, it might have been cooler to have had an original song for that year instead. I would ditch the lyrics (no more Piraka rap :P) in favor of instrumental tracks, preferably with some heavy beats and a sort of techno-vibe a la MNOLG. I would try to give the songs a sweeping, cinematic feel that captures the epic scale of the good vs evil conflicts within the BIONICLE storyline.

The only recent example I could think of was an instrumental track from the Mad Max: Fury Road movie. It's one of the more memorable tracks from a movie I've heard in the last few years, and I think it captures the intense atmosphere of the BIONICLE 2006-2008 storyline. I was inspired by your question, so I threw it together into this video. :)

Wow! There's something extremely fitting about this! The vid honestly mixes great dramatic music to perfectly describe what's going on in the video! From a storytelling standpoint, it's amazing! From a marketing standpoint, however, it isn't infectious. For example, say a kid likes Dora the Explorer. You want the music to be so catchy that the kid goes to the store with "Do da Dora" stuck in his/her head. I applaud the creativity for your video, however! I really liked how well it mixed with the older Bionicle ads

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

I really loved basically all music related to Bionicle pre-2006. Save for that one actual song during the Web of Shadows credits, they didn't really do traditional music w/ lyrics, and I feel that fit the theme better than the latter direction. 2006 and the All-American Rejects was really... odd. The music wasn't bad, but the two just really really didn't fit. 

As for Cryoshell, I like their music and am nostalgically attached as most Bionicle fans, but it's still not on the level of the 2001 commercial music, the 2004 Vahki animation music (which is a re-edit of Bionicle music from 2001 I believe), the soundtracks from The Game or Nathan Furst's work from the films. 

Incidentally, I really liked what little music G2 got. The JtO soundtrack is pretty great, as is the music running under the Mask of Creation phone game (though it gets really repetitive).

So basically, that's the direction I'd go in. No lyrics, more soundtrack-sounding music than music-sounding music. Tribal elements mixed with epic style for some cases, more of a MNOG soundtrack direction in others. 

HOWEVER, if I were to pick an existing performer, and go the way of actual songs with lyrics and so on, I'd go with one that I always felt fit Bionicle - Iron Savior. They're a power metal band whose songs and albums tell an on-going story, which happens to have many similarities with Bionicle. The whole story itself - which is about a living spaceship, the lost civilisation of atlantis and a space war - doesn't share many aspects, however the way the lyrics are worded a bunch of parallels arise.

Me associating them with Bionicle might stem from listening to their stuff a lot while reading Bionicle books, building MOCs and playing Bionicle games, but I really feel a thematic compatibility between them. Also, Bionicle with an epic power metal soundtrack? That sounds like all the awesome.

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I think Cryoshell's music was good for the time, specifically Gravity Hurts, but I do see the point/argument of growth and improvement. I LOVE metal music and I can assume because the use of metal music signifies catering more marketing on the storyline and therefore targeting more of the older fans than the promotion of the toys?

I didn't think of it that way, but yeah. The thought was more rooted in showing that Bionicle's more than a kid's toy now more than ever; it's a work anyone can appreciate.

• Upvote 3

Ok, I just wanna throw this out there:

https://open.spotify.com/track/294CKNlQ3KDDIo1a2s1M61

Gravity Hurts has an orchestral version. Somehow. If this fits the bill for what any of you were thinking, here it is.

• Upvote 2

Ok, I just wanna throw this out there:

https://open.spotify.com/track/294CKNlQ3KDDIo1a2s1M61

Gravity Hurts has an orchestral version. Somehow. If this fits the bill for what any of you were thinking, here it is.

This is so dope! I love the way this sounds! 

Ideally I would've tried to make it sound a little more like Nightwish by keeping some of the rock elements and mixing the orchestra with it rather than just one or the other. But again, this version is also really good.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Oh my word, that was twelve years ago? I remember seeing the teaser for the Inika in back of one of the comics and being so hyped about it for the six months or whatever until they were released.

Anyway, I would probably stick with 2001-era-style music, a mix of electronic (like the "Bionicle Music" 3-track CD) and orchestral-ish stuff (like the MNOG soundtrack). I still do really love the lyrical tracks they did for Bionicle as well (Hero, Face Me, and anything by Cryoshell, specifically), but I sort of feel like they don't fit into the atmosphere of Bionicle as well.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

As a drummer, I would love to hear something very rhythmic. Whether it's got hints of techno/electronica or not, I want the drums to do a lot of the talking, especially if it's about the Le-Wahi or jungle aspects. As for the other 5 elements, I can't think of anything specific at the moment, but definitely some drum-driven tunes for the jungle toa in the story or commercials

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, for Le-Wahi, drums seem right. For Ta-Koro, a motif like one used in their sound effect sounds okay. Really, MNOG style music is the way I might go. There was a topic with an album, which should be in Fan-Created Media, or a search for Bandcamp on the front page. The first album, at least, is very good for Mata Nui. Metru Nui should sound rather industrial, I think. For Mahri, Voya, and Karda Nui, I don't really know.

:smilematoro:

Something electronic/rhythmic would be nice, but I think LEGO is too kid/family-oriented to push as far as LCD Soundsystem, never mind something with more of a Nine Inch Nails sound. That leaves, what, pop singers produced by Jack Antonoff? Actually, a female voice would be appealingly different here...

Based on things LEGO is goofy enough to try, I'm going to say they'd shoot for something more like Jackie Chan playing Guns'N'Roses on a flute.

Based on things LEGO is goofy enough to try, I'm going to say they'd shoot for something more like Jackie Chan playing Guns'N'Roses on a flute.

It wouldn't be too far of a stretch, considering Bionicle started out with (among other things) Flight of the Valkyries on a synthesizer. :P

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

It wouldn't be too far of a stretch, considering Bionicle started out with (among other things) Flight of the Valkyries on a synthesizer. :P

I had no clue of this. I have to listen to this!

I also think that possibilities are endless with goofy combo's like the GNR on a flute. You could have an 80's drum beat mixed with djent being played on a tuba or whatever else.

Side note, I think that the Ga-Koro music motif should be soft, atmospheric keys with a soft, but driving beat under it: symbolizing the water is calm towards the surface (hence the melody being in the higher notes) while there is trouble brewing in the depths (the underlying percussion beat)

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

• 2 weeks later...