• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes
  • Participate in raffles to win LEGO prizes
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Whetu and Onupi

matoran g1 mata nui onu koro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Pohaturon

Pohaturon
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 11-March 07
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 29 2018 - 01:49 PM

Whetu and Onupi are two very different, yet very similar Matoran. 

Spoiler

Whetu is a miner, a grunt worker toiling in the vast mines of Onu-Wahi, digging for Lightstones, protodermis and other valuable minerals. He's down-to-earth with the heart and mind of a worker, much like the countless other miners he works with.

Spoiler

Onupi, on the other hand, has more in common in terms of personality with Ko-Matoran than his Onu-Matoran comrades. Not much of a speaker, Onupi is Onu-Koro's most skilled surveyor, and his name is known across Mata Nui for never making a mistake and always finding the best veins. Not he, nor the other Matoran, and not even Turaga Whenua know that this isn't talent, but rather a glitch that allows him to minimally utilize his Kanohi Akaku, a feat no other Matoran is capable of. 

Spoiler

Despite being so different, Whetu and Onupi are bound by a friendship unlike any on the island of Mata Nui. For outsiders, it might often seem like they hate each other, as constant insults aimed at their different positions fly between them, but it's all in good fun and their way of communicating. They would be willing to die for one another, their friendship more like brotherhood. 

---

This theme of "similar yet different" continues in their builds. They have similar body shapes and sizes, however Whetu's torso is Slizer-based, Onupi's is fully custom using small Technic doodads. 
Whetu's drill has a working gear function, and his security frame still allows minimal head motion, and he can actually see out of it too. Onupi, when carrying his tablet "wears" his thumb on his back, concealed by the cape.

Flickr album:  https://flic.kr/s/aHsmbUEzt6

As always, comments and criticisms much appreciated!

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

I write stories, which you can read at A Beach, Somewhere

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

#2 Offline Obsessionist

Obsessionist
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Pretty OK

• 28-January 10
  • 1,347 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Jan 29 2018 - 04:13 PM

I love slizer-based matoran! Very cool to see that.Nifty and compact gear function. Nice use of that system Bionicle tile for the slate!

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

#3 Offline The Mugbearer

The Mugbearer
  • Members
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 26-February 07
  • 896 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 05 2018 - 03:18 PM

Nice builds, and cool bios for both of them! I like the idea of a "glitch" that allows to somehow access the fraction of one's Kanohi, even though canonically all Matoran Masks are powerless.

#4 Offline Valendale

Valendale
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Chugger of all that is Icy

• 03-October 08
  • 822 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 11 2018 - 03:17 PM

As someone studying surveying myself, Onupi looking at that slate reminds me a lot of looking at my own field book. I felt the similarity, but I didn't put my finger on it until I read the description.

I really like both of these.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users