Onua: Tol or Smol?

Sir Keksalot

So one thing that caught me off-guard with G2 was the fact that, at least for one year, Onua was decidedly short. Jacked, but short. I thought this odd, since he'd always come off as "the big guy" more than anything; but it occurs to me that, with his original "hunchback" design, not everyone may agree. Thus is this thread: I want to know what you guys think is more appropriate for Onua's design. Should he be a giant or a swole dwarf?

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

I really loved the 2015 Onua, since he felt so huge and powerful while still being decidedly shorter than the other Toa (well, except Pohatu, who was the same height but much leaner). I was a little disappointed that all the media went ahead and portrayed Onua as a giant, although they made it work within the context of the story.

• Upvote 2

Swole dwarf all the way. In my mind, Onua is always hugely buff, but the smallest Toa of the six in terms of height.

:kakama:

He is short and ripped. He also has a hammer.

Onua is Torbjörn confirmed.

I really loved the 2015 Onua, since he felt so huge and powerful while still being decidedly shorter than the other Toa (well, except Pohatu, who was the same height but much leaner). I was a little disappointed that all the media went ahead and portrayed Onua as a giant, although they made it work within the context of the story.

Now that I think about it, I actually love this. The "earth guy beeg and stronk" thing is kinda cliche, and it makes sense that the guy with earth powers would be closer to the ground. If he's the oldest of the Toa, as was originally planned for G1, then that kinda works if he's hunched over, too; like he really is an old man, he's just jacked.

like he really is an old man, he's just jacked.

So he's Master Roshi instead?

Isn't Roshi scrawny as heck, though?

maestro-roshi-6.jpg

I have several questions and I doubt I actually want to know the answer to any of them

MAXIMUM_POWER_MASTER_ROSHI.jpeg

yeah roshi's pretty jacked

but yeah onua's almost always been a bit shorter, right? and even without his pakari he's still stronger than the other toa, right? i think swol dorf is the only option here.

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

MAXIMUM_POWER_MASTER_ROSHI.jpeg

yeah roshi's pretty jacked

but yeah onua's almost always been a bit shorter, right? and even without his pakari he's still stronger than the other toa, right? i think swol dorf is the only option here.

I might be incorrect here, but I recall that sans mask powers Onua and Pohatu are either equally matched or Pohatu comes out on top, but with the Pakari, Onua is (clearly) the strongest in terms of pure physical strength.

Don't quote me though.

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

like he really is an old man, he's just jacked.

So he's Master Roshi instead?

Isn't Roshi scrawny as heck, though?

maestro-roshi-6.jpg

I have several questions and I doubt I actually want to know the answer to any of them

Swole Roshi is a transformation that he used maybe once in the original series, then used again in Resurrection F (though IIRC, in that movie he acted more as a strategist than brute force). I think he uses it in the Broly movie too but to no effect.

I like Onua as Master Roshi.

I thought that the reasoning behind most of the G1 Onu-based sets being shorter (at least when they weren't clones) was because they were frequently underground and in tunnels. The shorter you are, the less volume you need to displace to make a tunnel comfortable for you, as well as being easier to fit in tunnels that may not have been made specifically for someone your height. This may have been a thing that in universe was intended when the matoran universe was created.

I also seem to recall (though since I don't remember the source, I would not take it as canon unless you can confirm elsewhere) that G1 Onua, even without the Paraki, was one of the strongest of the Toa Mata (can't recall if Pohatu was stronger, but If I had to bet, Pohatu had more leg strength with Onua had more upper body strength.)

As for the first G2 Onua, his chest is clearly much larger than the others. I felt it was a good balance between showing that he was very strong (but able to do so better than G1 sets of the era would allow) but also not being as tall as the others, as to harken to the original set.

For both, I agree with most everyone else in that he is powerful, but in terms of height would still be shorter than your average Non-Earth toa.

Being associated with underground caves and tunnels doesn't exactly lend itself to a "big guy" impression.  We wouldn't want him hitting his head now, would we?  That's why I've always seen him as shorter and/or hunched over, but definitely still quite strong.  It always seemed to fit him, and I had never even considered that he could be taller or bigger than the others.  It just seemed he was meant to be small but powerful.

I might be incorrect here, but I recall that sans mask powers Onua and Pohatu are either equally matched or Pohatu comes out on top, but with the Pakari, Onua is (clearly) the strongest in terms of pure physical strength.

Don't quote me though.

Here I am, quoting you.

I also remember reading that Pohatu was the strongest Toa in sheer physical strength as well. Imagine the might he had with a Pakari. It could have been in one of the guide books, but I do remember reading it. 

• Upvote 1

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y: