What LEGO Should've Done With Bringing BIONICLE Back Instead

Overall G2 was alright in my opinion, nowhere near as good as G1 was. However, I think LEGO should've expanded G1 instead of making a lack luster reboot, but even if they did it still wouldn't work because most of the kids who grew up with G1 are already adults and kids of the modern generation have no clue of what BIONICLE is. Also the new generation doesn't even play with toys anymore, instead they play on phones and I-pads which might be why LEGO's sales have been dropping lately. I want to hear all of everyone's thoughts of what YOU think LEGO should've done with BIONICLE's revival, seeya! - FirespitterVakama

Edited by FirespitterVakama
  • Upvote 1

Leave G2 as was, but give us the third year at least, maybe even more following. Toss in some collectibles, and release masks in more colors. That's all I'd want.

2016 was really coming into its own, and I was really stoked for how 2017 would have turned out. 

I really think any possible continuation of G1 at this point would be doomed to fail unless it was set in the far-far-far-far-far future after the events of 2010. Seeing as G1 never properly ended and half a dozen plotlines were left open, picking up the threads directly would make absolutely zero sense. And if you're so far in the future that those unfinished stories don't matter anymore, you might as well hard reboot. 

:kakama:

• Upvote 2

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Maybe on BIONICLE's 25th Anniversary, well i hope. Also I really wished we could've gotten the Makuta titan!

Or 20th. Anyway, if either Lego didn’t cancel the supposed 2010 and 2011 storylines with the planned fifth and sixth direct-to-video Bionicle movies or Greg had finished up the unfinished serials in 2011 or 2012, either of these would make a satisfying ending to G1.

As for G2, a third year would’ve been nice. How G2 got cancelled is like The Amazing Spider-Man movie series in 2012 and 2014 all over again.

Let’s all hope that Lego will give us a G3 sometime, maybe in Bionicle’s 20th anniversary or a year after.

Right now, in this decade, it’s not a good time as it seems. In this decade, Bionicle got cancelled twice sadly without proper treatment and the constraction is failing in general. We are now facing a dark age/Great Depression of constraction now. Also right now, Bionicle’s minifigure counterpart, Ninjago, is this decade’s Bionicle (the 2000s have Bionicle). Ninjago is successful by toyline and TV show that Bionicle should’ve have these things. Hopefully, in the 2020s, Bionicle would come back and be that decade’s Bionicle again.:(

• Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I don't hate CCBS, I just don't think it suits Bionicle. I think they should have kept with the technic based system it feels more robotic than skeletal and 100% given all the collectibles needed. As for the story I think they should have kept away from already established names such as Tahu and Makuta and tried to be original. The story should've been more mysterious and technological to draw the interest of the computer loving 7 year olds. Maybe a space adventure?

• Upvote 1

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClo2J14RKmVtcnoJTv7g6PA , Bionicle films coming soon!

Lego's sales haven't really been falling in the long term—on the contrary, the past few years have been somewhat of a golden age for them (despite a decline in growth in 2016). Themes like Ninjago and Friends are bigger sellers than Bionicle ever was (even at its peak in 2002–2003). So the idea that kids becoming more engaged with digital entertainment spells the end for Lego sales probably isn't any more accurate than it was back around the turn of the millennium.

There are certainly things that would have made Bionicle G2 better from a fan perspective, but given Lego's capabilities and resources, plus the established reputation of Bionicle and constraction in general (both good and bad) with retailers and media partners, I don't really see how different or more successful a direction Lego could have realistically taken with it. If anything. Bionicle G2 may have just been the wrong theme at the wrong time. Maybe five years just wasn't enough time for an audience refresh, or maybe the decline in action figure sales meant that bringing it back then was misguided from the get-go. Either way, I certainly don't think bringing back G1 would have been any more effective.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I agree, however another issue was its advertising. BIONICLE G2 had poor advertising too. I think making the show a Netflix exclusive was a horrible idea. Why you may ask? It's because most people have cable or live television and Netflix is popular, but just not as popular on cable. If they would've aired it on CN, then that would've been a different story than what actually happened. Because of this, JTO only lasted 5 episodes!

• Upvote 1