PutYaGunsOn

As long as it's related to K-pop and fits in BZP's rules, bring it this way! Post your favorites! Feel free to share song cover videos, dance cover videos, stories about your experiences with the genre and the fandom, whatever.

A few guidelines:

• Keep the fandom wars out of here. I don't care if you're old guard or new guard, boy band or girl group fan, ARMY or EXO-L, whatever. We're all K-pop fans here, let's just enjoy the genre together. So what if someone likes a group you don't like, or dislikes your stan/bias group? Let them be.
  • No bashing. If you absolutely must express your criticisms of a group or even the genre as a whole, do so in a way that is respectful and constructive.
  • Let's avoid discussing the politics of the industry. I'm pretty sure that's a recipe for disaster, especially around these parts.

Now, about me.

Discovered it in 2006 through BoA and a few hip hop artists (Drunken Tiger, for instance). Sorta forgot about it from 2006-2010 until a friend showed me Abracadabra. Consistently became a fan of the genre between 2011-2016.

Jumped on the Gangnam Style hype train in 2012, but now I hate that song because of how much it was milked. Went borderline Koreaboo in 2013 (never went full Koreaboo). Did dance covers for college talent shows between 2013-2016.

Was very on-and-off in 2017 because I was losing my spark with it, and it was starting to feel very "been there, done that". Very slowly getting back into it because Red Velvet's new stuff are my jams.

I don't like to just identify as one fanclub (SONE, ARMY, EXO-L, whatever). I just like whatever appeals to me. I don't have any strong dislike towards any group.

While I genuinely respect the current industry giants BTS and Twice, and like a good chunk of their songs, I personally find them overrated. I think they're good at what they do, but I personally don't see what makes them stand out as much as everyone is making them out to. If someone would like to enlighten me, please feel free to.

All that said, let's talk!

Mmkay.  Let's chat.

I don't consider myself a real K-pop fan, mostly because I don't listen to too much of it.  That being said, here are my favorite K-pop-related things.

My favorite artist would have to be PSY, of "Gangnam Style" fame.  While I do like "Gangnam Style" for the sheer memeyness of it, I can't say that it's my favorite of his songs.  That honor goes to "Daddy."

I also enjoy listening to 2NE1.  My favorite song of theirs is "I Am The Best."

And last... I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but... I like Girls Generation.  And my favorite song of theirs is "I Got A Boy."

Other than that, I don't listen to too much K-pop, so I'm open to any recommendations.

Mmkay.  Let's chat.

I don't consider myself a real K-pop fan, mostly because I don't listen to too much of it.  That being said, here are my favorite K-pop-related things.

My favorite artist would have to be PSY, of "Gangnam Style" fame.  While I do like "Gangnam Style" for the sheer memeyness of it, I can't say that it's my favorite of his songs.  That honor goes to "Daddy."

I also enjoy listening to 2NE1.  My favorite song of theirs is "I Am The Best."

And last... I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but... I like Girls Generation.  And my favorite song of theirs is "I Got A Boy."

Other than that, I don't listen to too much K-pop, so I'm open to any recommendations.

While I hate most of Psy's post-Gangnam Style stuff, I do like Daddy myself.

Good choice of a favorite 2NE1 song. I just adore their entire Crush album too, though. I know quite a few people felt those songs all sounded the same and weren't great, but personally I love that album.

What shame should there be in liking Girls Generation? If anyone has a problem with you liking them, that's entirely on them, not you. I love them!

You seem to gravitate towards girl groups, so I can help you there. 2NE1 is disbanded now, but I'd give their successor group Blackpink a chance. Their style isn't identical to 2NE1, but I can definitely see the influences.

If you like Girls Generation's style, I'd give f(x) and Red Velvet a chance. They're both from the same label. Red Velvet's two recent singles (Peek-A-Boo and Bad Boy) are my jams. One of f(x)'s members is former Girls Generation member Jessica's younger sister, but personally my favorite member is their rapper Amber. She just seems like someone I'd wanna hang with.

r.i.p f(x) they'll never get a real comeback this year or the next probably

i'm on that twice bandwagon tho

Like I've said, I respect TWICE. I like a few of their songs, but I just don't see what makes them revolutionary compared to past groups, besides maybe being more diverse (having 3 Japanese members and a Taiwanese member).

Fun fact: In the movie 3 Ninjas Kick Back, the music they use to establish the Japanese setting is Korean, not Japanese. So if you're a 90s kid who saw that movie, you've been exposed to K-pop long before the Hallyu Wave. Word has it that one of the producers was Korean and wanted to expose Americans to Korean music.

Some of those old 90s Korean songs are jams. Sure they're full of more 90s cheese than Will Smith and Jaleel White trading Pogs with the Saved By The Bell cast, but I love 'em.

• 2 weeks later...

I mean this might not be the entirely right place to ask this, but does anyone know of  any Korean Metal/Hard Rock groups they could recommend? Maybe with some traditional/folk elements? ^^'

Otherwise, and more on topic, I don't know the slightest bit about the fandoms out there, but stuff I like to listen to includes Big Bang, G-Dragon's stuff, and Norazo. ^_^

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

I mean this might not be the entirely right place to ask this, but does anyone know of  any Korean Metal/Hard Rock groups they could recommend? Maybe with some traditional/folk elements? ^^'

I couldn't tell you myself, but now you've got me curious. I personally like different types of Asian traditional music (including Korean), so that would be pretty cool.

On the subject of Korean rock, I particularly like this group called Guyz. They did the opening theme for the Korean dub of Bleach, and they can sing in Japanese as well. I love that they have that J-rock soudn I used to love in high school, but with the sound of the Korean language.

Otherwise, and more on topic, I don't know the slightest bit about the fandoms out there, but stuff I like to listen to includes Big Bang, G-Dragon's stuff, and Norazo. ^_^

Never heard of Norazo, but I was a huge Big Bang fan in 2012-2013ish. I'll still jam to them.