Toy Fair 2018: Harry Potter

TF18_Harry_Potter_teaser.jpg

LEGO Harry Potter is back! I mean, it was already kind of back with the Dimensions packs, but now we're getting real sets! Right before Toy Fair LEGO announced the impending return and at the event we got to see the Great Hall set in person. Unfortunately that was the only set on display, but the LEGO reps did say that we would be seeing more sets and BrickHeadz later this year. To check out the iconic hall of Hogwarts from every angle, read on!

View the full article

Interestingly, the model on display differed quite a bit from the one in the official images. Unfortunately, Lego designer Mark Stafford explained on Reddit that the display model was an earlier prototype from when Lego was aiming for a $120 price point instead of a $100 price point, suggesting that the official pics are probably more accurate. That means a less substantial base (without the added landscaping or gear functions of the display model) and probably none of those very interesting little arch pieces from the railing of the display model, either. -_-

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Interestingly, the model on display differed quite a bit from the one in the official images. Unfortunately, Lego designer Mark Stafford explained on Reddit that the display model was an earlier prototype from when Lego was aiming for a $120 price point instead of a $100 price point, suggesting that the official pics are probably more accurate. That means a less substantial base (without the added landscaping or gear functions of the display model) and probably none of those very interesting little arch pieces from the railing of the display model, either. -_-

This makes me feel more confident in my conspiracy theory that the Susan Bones minifig was originally meant to be Ginny but then they scaled back the Chamber of Secrets stuff so they were like "uhhhhhh she's this other red-haired character now".

OpAXNpl.jpg

Oooh!

To the great surprise of no-one who knows me, the minifigures are the first thing to catch my eye. I am LOVING the redesigns; Hermione looks adorable with her new hairpiece, and is certainly the most Emma-Watson-looking minifigure to date. Harry and Ron's new hairpieces are vast improvements over their 2001 versions, and Hagrid and Dumbledore's hair parts, too, look superb - although if this set is meant to represent Philosopher's Stone, it's a little surprising to see a Gambon-based Dumbledore design, as opposed to a Richard Harris one. I suppose that's just so they can use the same minifigure of him across the whole line, though. Quirrel, too, has been long overdue for a redesign and looks much more impressive than his original self.

And yet? I feel a tiny bit disappointed by them, too? There are so many characters in the Harry Potter franchise who haven't been touched in plastic form at all, and while I understand that the familiar characters are undoubtedly the most popular... it's a missed opportunity that this set doesn't include a single Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw student, who have so far been absent in every Lego Harry Potter set apart from the one in the Games line, when the great hall would have been an ideal place to include a representative from each house.

I'd like to hope that the other sets in the line will remedy that, but I still feel like this would have been the best set to show off some students who weren't Gryffs or Slyths.

In any case, though, I'll continue to watch for further news of this line with much interest ^^

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

And yet? I feel a tiny bit disappointed by them, too? There are so many characters in the Harry Potter franchise who haven't been touched in plastic form at all, and while I understand that the familiar characters are undoubtedly the most popular... it's a missed opportunity that this set doesn't include a single Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw student, who have so far been absent in every Lego Harry Potter set apart from the one in the Games line, when the great hall would have been an ideal place to include a representative from each house.

It actually does include a Hufflepuff student (Susan Bones). Though a lot of people have mistaken her for Ginny due to her long red hair. As the designer explained on Reddit, there aren't many Hufflepuffs in the first two movies.

It actually does include a Hufflepuff student (Susan Bones). Though a lot of people have mistaken her for Ginny due to her long red hair. As the designer explained on Reddit, there aren't many Hufflepuffs in the first two movies.

Huh. Was she in the Toy Fair photos? I didn't notice her - but then, I did skip over a few of them, too.

Still, as a proud Hufflepuff, this pleases me; and Susan is one of my favourite minor characters, too. Cool to know that she's going to be represented in minifigure form. Thanks for telling me :D

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Am I the only one that noticed the two grey pin hole bricks on the right side of the interior photo and thought this could connect to a future set.

You are not, and since there are other Harry Potter sets coming out I wouldn't be surprised if we see some classrooms, dormitories, and/or offices. The one part of Hogwarts I don't expect to see as a set again is the Chamber of Secrets since the Basilisk is included in this set, and if there were a separate Chamber of Secrets set planned they would probably save it for that one.

Huh. Was she in the Toy Fair photos? I didn't notice her - but then, I did skip over a few of them, too.

Still, as a proud Hufflepuff, this pleases me; and Susan is one of my favourite minor characters, too. Cool to know that she's going to be represented in minifigure form. Thanks for telling me :D

I didn't see her in any of the photos from various sites, so I don't think she was included. (Which is disappointing; I wanted to see what the Hufflepuff torso looked like, since they didn't release any clear shots of it in the promotion material, but alas it wasn't at toy fair either.

Not a dis on Susan Bones, but it would've been cooler to include a non red / orange haired character from the various houses. They had plenty of options to choose from, and they went with the most Weasley looking one. Hoping that we get some more new Hufflepuff and / or Ravenclaw students in the other sets, but they'll probably only show up in the rumored UCS set and not any of the affordable ones. :\ (Ironically, I just got some fan-made Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw torsos, just before they release official versions. Yay.)

Um, anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic about this theme. I managed to collect the main cast in figs from the 2010-2011 line, so it's not like I need more of these, but a few new models of the castle might be nice for a display, especially if they start reaching into all the various side characters that are available. (Like they've done with Star Wars.)

:music:

:music:

• Upvote 1