Are G2 characters biomechanical?

SamDrew

Title covers my main question: are the characters in G2 - Toa, Protectors, Okotan villagers, Mask Makers, Skull Raiders, Elemental Creatures, etc. - biomechanical? Or perhaps fully organic but wearing armor? They have to at the very least be somewhat organic as they can reproduce biologically.

I can't seem to find an official answer anywhere and so wanted to pose the question here.

Thanks!

I don't think there ever was official mention either way, but I doubt they'd change such a core, underlying element of what makes Bionicle, well... Bionicle. It's kinda the base premise. I think it's safe to assume they were biomechanical, but as said above, maybe at a different ratio than G1.

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I would say that the Okotans and their island’s animals are mostly organic because they can reproduce. I think Ekimu, Makuta, the Toa, the Elemental Creatures, and others are mostly robotic because they don’t seem to reproduce. That’s all I could say.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Tbh, I don't know if we can even assume that biological reproduction tells us anything about the characters' organic/mechanical ratios. Just because creatures can't be "born" with pistons or gears or metal plating in our world doesn't mean it would have to be the same way in a fantasy world.

That said, I do think that we can pretty safely assume that a lot of the G2 characters' exterior details are "clothing" and not a part of their bodies, just based on the fact that the Toa changed most of their armor between years one and two, and it didn't happen by way of a supernatural transformation like most armor redesigns in G1 Bionicle. Instead, Ekimu just crafted them new armor.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't really follow the G2 story much, but I assume they didn't go into a lot of detail about most things in order to avoid being overly complicated (which, ironically, is exactly what gave G1 much of its charm).

Edit: Revenge of the Skull Spiders, page 22:

“The clouds cleared briefly, allowing the Protectors to glimpse a pair of biomechanical cliff vultures that soared through the chasm, looking for food.”

So, yes, I guess, or at least cliff vultures are.

Edit 2: the books also described Ekimu, the Toa and the Okotans as biomechanical. I guess that means just about eveybody is. Since they reproduce biologically, I’d say they’re probably somewhere between Matoran Universe beings and mechanically-enhanced Spherus Magnans on the organic scale.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water