2015 Reboot Toa fragility issues

9TL

So back at the start of the Bionicle reboot I purchased a Gali Master of Water (70786-1), I put the set together and for the most part I've just left it on the shelf and haven't really messed with it because I find the new sets floppy and not particularly fun to mess with.

However, recently I got back into building mocs after losing pretty much all of my sets several years ago so I decided to pull it off the shelf and mess around a bit, only to discover that some pieces had become very lose. In particular several of the axle connectors (32039) and one of the translucent, short hero factor arms (90612) had cracked in such a way that they no longer produce enough friction to be useful just from sitting still on a shelf in the configuration the instructions specified.

Do I just have a bad copy of the Gali set or is this a common issue?

If it is a common issue it it just common to Gali or is it common to a lot of the reboot line's sets?

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this, I am new to the site (literally made an account so I could ask this question).

• Upvote 1

Actually, the new parts have a good reputation for being mighty sturdy, especially compared to the 2007-2009 parts. 

However, was the set perchance displayed in a way that it got a lot of direct sunshine, or relatively more heat? Even the minute heat expansion and subsequent contraction is enough to, over a long period of time, wear down the parts. Otherwise, it would be something of a unique occurrence - as I said, these parts should be really endurant. 

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Actually, the new parts have a good reputation for being mighty sturdy, especially compared to the 2007-2009 parts. 

However, was the set perchance displayed in a way that it got a lot of direct sunshine, or relatively more heat? Even the minute heat expansion and subsequent contraction is enough to, over a long period of time, wear down the parts. Otherwise, it would be something of a unique occurrence - as I said, these parts should be really endurant. 

:kakama:

Thanks for the reply, it's good to hear that this is fairly uncommon.

No the shelf on which the parts were displayed doesn't really get any direct sunlight and we are usually running the ac so it isn't particularly hot.

It's probably just a fluke.

The only thing I could think of is to flip the gears around because I've noticed that sometimes the friction gears (those really small dark grey ones) can have a slightly smoother side compared to the other. Just mess around with those till you find them interlocking better.

If worst happens and nothing works you could but replacements off Bricklink.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

The only thing I could think of is to flip the gears around because I've noticed that sometimes the friction gears (those really small dark grey ones) can have a slightly smoother side compared to the other. Just mess around with those till you find them interlocking better.

If worst happens and nothing works you could but replacements off Bricklink.

Cool thanks, I'll give that a shot after I get my replacement parts. The ones I currently have I am already going to have to replace via Bricklink due to them being too broken to use.