Selling G2: A serious dilemma for me

Allow me to explain my issue. At the moment I have an entire collection of G2 bionicle sets. It's still in very good condition and I am debating with myself if I should sell it or not. I spent hundreds getting the collection together. However much like many things from over the years it nowadays sits in a plastic container like my all my other Lego from 15 years ago. I have been a bionicle fan since the age of around 3 and a half and the series always meant a lot to me. So for that reason I went to great efforts to support it's reboot. However now that the initial excitement for it's comeback has died down I see a lot of the reboot's flaws and don't have as much of a positive outlook on it. If I sell it in it's current state not only can I get a lot of money I can also stop it from taking up space in the future. My older sets are all in terrible condition and as such are tough sells. But there is still some emotional connection for me and I do fear regretting this decision in the future. So I wonder if anyone here has any advice on if I should sell my G2 collection or not.

Edited by masterchirox580

It's time to move on.

If you're not getting enjoyment out of it, and don't foresee yourself enjoying it more in the future, there's little reason not to sell it.

A better question might be whether it's best to sell it now or to hold onto it to sell later. If you really need the money or the space, selling sooner might be better, but otherwise there's a decent likelihood that the sets will appreciate in value if you put them into storage to sell at a later date.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

If you have no actual use for them now or in the near future, they might as well go to somebody who does have. There's no point in them sitting there in a container gathering dust until you make the same decision in five, ten or twenty years.

And as it's only been a few years since they came along and it doesn't sound like you've done very much with them, I don't think you'll miss them as much as you might think, or perhaps even miss them at all.

• Upvote 1

If you're not getting enjoyment out of it, and don't foresee yourself enjoying it more in the future, there's little reason not to sell it.

A better question might be whether it's best to sell it now or to hold onto it to sell later. If you really need the money or the space, selling sooner might be better, but otherwise there's a decent likelihood that the sets will appreciate in value if you put them into storage to sell at a later date.

If you have no actual use for them now or in the near future, they might as well go to somebody who does have. There's no point in them sitting there in a container gathering dust until you make the same decision in five, ten or twenty years.

And as it's only been a few years since they came along and it doesn't sound like you've done very much with them, I don't think you'll miss them as much as you might think, or perhaps even miss them at all.

Thank you for the re-assuring words. Due to my current situation I don't really have much space to store it in so it's best I sell it sooner. Adding to that the possibility of the pieces cracking. And yeah I was basically just being a collector with them. A collection that I don't think I can take with me to the grave. Besides I'll always have the G1 stuff (plenty of it). Do you think I should list them on the buy/sell section or exclusively on ebay?

It's time to move on.

• 1 month later...

I think it really depends on where you are in life. Whenever I see questions like this I'm reminded of Brandon Griffith, the LEGO builder who put together some incredible Star Trek MOC's. I read his story in some AFOL magazine years ago, and basically he talked a bit about his dark age and how he dropped out of LEGO during high school and probably (this was a while ago so I don't remember all the details exactly) college. Eventually he got the desire to build a model of the USS Enterprise and found that LEGO bricks were to easiest medium to do it with. Despite not having built in years he called his parents for his collection and made an incredible model.

I'm going through a dark age myself, in fact I've been going through it since probably about 2014. I got excited about LEGO again when G2 came out, but when that ended up being a complete let down I sort of just receded from that interest. I still check flickr everyday, sometimes listen to TTV, and take a quick stroll through the conversations on BZP, but it's not the same.

However I refuse to get rid of any of my LEGO. My collection comparison to other fans is pretty small. I've only got a few boxes of parts and a few MOC's, few of which actually hold up to my current standards. Every time I update my flickr I make promises of coming back and posting new MOC's and updates but I just can't do it. I'm in college now and I haven't had free time or space since middle school. I've begun my own personal projects and started a new chapter in my life that LEGO just isn't a big part of.

However I can't let go of any of my parts. Not my G2 toa, not the old parts, none of it. LEGO played such a huge part of my life, and as I grow older more and more of my past dies and is lost. I hold onto them because I hope one day I'll be free enough to pick the bricks back up like Griffith and make something really awesome. I don't know if I'll even need stuff like my G2 sets, but I remember the feeling as a kid of not having any of the parts I wanted and always being limited, unable to finish models or explore ideas.

I don't know what the state of your life is, and this is just about your G2 sets and not your entire interest in LEGO, but my personal advice would be to hold on to them. They've got some great parts and designs and all I know is that I would regret getting rid of them because (for me) it'd be symbolic of me officially ruling out the possibility of LEGO becoming a part of my life again. That's probably not the case for you, and I don't know your relationship with LEGO, but I can only speak to what I know and feel. The others here are right in that there's no point in hoarding something if it doesn't mean anything to you or have a significant place in your collection. Either way, I hope you find the answers you're looking for!

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 1

I think it really depends on where you are in life. Whenever I see questions like this I'm reminded of Brandon Griffith, the LEGO builder who put together some incredible Star Trek MOC's. I read his story in some AFOL magazine years ago, and basically he talked a bit about his dark age and how he dropped out of LEGO during high school and probably (this was a while ago so I don't remember all the details exactly) college. Eventually he got the desire to build a model of the USS Enterprise and found that LEGO bricks were to easiest medium to do it with. Despite not having built in years he called his parents for his collection and made an incredible model.

I'm going through a dark age myself, in fact I've been going through it since probably about 2014. I got excited about LEGO again when G2 came out, but when that ended up being a complete let down I sort of just receded from that interest. I still check flickr everyday, sometimes listen to TTV, and take a quick stroll through the conversations on BZP, but it's not the same.

However I refuse to get rid of any of my LEGO. My collection comparison to other fans is pretty small. I've only got a few boxes of parts and a few MOC's, few of which actually hold up to my current standards. Every time I update my flickr I make promises of coming back and posting new MOC's and updates but I just can't do it. I'm in college now and I haven't had free time or space since middle school. I've begun my own personal projects and started a new chapter in my life that LEGO just isn't a big part of.

However I can't let go of any of my parts. Not my G2 toa, not the old parts, none of it. LEGO played such a huge part of my life, and as I grow older more and more of my past dies and is lost. I hold onto them because I hope one day I'll be free enough to pick the bricks back up like Griffith and make something really awesome. I don't know if I'll even need stuff like my G2 sets, but I remember the feeling as a kid of not having any of the parts I wanted and always being limited, unable to finish models or explore ideas.

I don't know what the state of your life is, and this is just about your G2 sets and not your entire interest in LEGO, but my personal advice would be to hold on to them. They've got some great parts and designs and all I know is that I would regret getting rid of them because (for me) it'd be symbolic of me officially ruling out the possibility of LEGO becoming a part of my life again. That's probably not the case for you, and I don't know your relationship with LEGO, but I can only speak to what I know and feel. The others here are right in that there's no point in hoarding something if it doesn't mean anything to you or have a significant place in your collection. Either way, I hope you find the answers you're looking for!

Yeah I never intend to get rid of the G1 stuff. That stays with me. For me it's just the fact that I have no real connection to 2010s Lego. I mean I only bought G2 as a way to show support for bionicle's comeback. Now it's over I think I can sell this stuff. Despite the history I have with Lego products I have no intention of getting back into them. They're expensive and room consuming. I simply don't see a way I could have the cash and time to get back into the stuff. Anyway I do appreciate what you've said though. Maybe I'll regret it down the line but at this rate it's unlikely. 

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.