Set Review: 75201 First Order AT-ST

75201_First-Order_AT-ST_Review_teaser.jp

Today we're getting into some 2018 LEGO set reviews, and to tie into the recently-announced Art Contest: The Definitive Edition!, they're going to be about Star Wars! To start off, Ta-metru_defender takes a look at 75201 First Order AT-ST, which in a way is a revamp of the chicken walker we've seen several times over the years. Will this iteration avoid the insurgent attacks and tree trunks of its predecessors, or will it succumb to the same design flaws? While you're thinking about that and what to enter into the contest, come see how this set stacks up!

View the full article

• Upvote 1

AFOLs do not seem to enjoy this set.  It's just a figs pack with some spare gray parts; that's what about half of all Star Wars sets are.  (I haven't bought it yet, but I kinda want to... for the figs.)

Beyond that, good review, TMD, thanks!

:music:

AFOLs do not seem to enjoy this set.  It's just a figs pack with some spare gray parts; that's what about half of all Star Wars sets are.  (I haven't bought it yet, but I kinda want to... for the figs.)

Aaaand a dope elevator!

But I think it's because I/we take a longer view of it all; an AT-ST just came out not too long ago and this one pales in comparison. Maybe if that other one hadn't come out so recently I wouldn't have such a harsh opinion. 'cuz, like, it's not bad bad, it's just... pointless?

• Upvote 1

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

Aaaand a dope elevator!

But I think it's because I/we take a longer view of it all; an AT-ST just came out not too long ago and this one pales in comparison. Maybe if that other one hadn't come out so recently I wouldn't have such a harsh opinion. 'cuz, like, it's not bad bad, it's just... pointless?

It wouldn't totally surprise me if the lack of a complete AT-ST might be partly BECAUSE a complete AT-ST (granted, an Imperial one rather than a First Order one) came out so recently... it certainly makes this one harder to confuse with the older model than it would otherwise.

Of course, another more likely scenario is the possibility that Lego just didn't get accurate reference material on the full thing in time to incorporate an upper canopy. There have been plenty of inaccuracies of that sort that can be traced back to secrecy or late-game changes to the movie. Perhaps an earlier draft of that scene did not feature the walker actually coming apart on camera. :notsure:

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Aaaand a dope elevator!

It wouldn't totally surprise me if the lack of a complete AT-ST might be partly BECAUSE a complete AT-ST (granted, an Imperial one rather than a First Order one) came out so recently... it certainly makes this one harder to confuse with the older model than it would otherwise.

Of course, another more likely scenario is the possibility that Lego just didn't get accurate reference material on the full thing in time to incorporate an upper canopy. There have been plenty of inaccuracies of that sort that can be traced back to secrecy or late-game changes to the movie. Perhaps an earlier draft of that scene did not feature the walker actually coming apart on camera. :notsure:

I'd give it that, except the prior AT-ST was due to be off shelves quite a few months before the new one hit. Way it was planned, they wouldn't have been on store shelves at the same time.

Also, given that it's a January set rather than a Force Friday one (and also one with a hard street date), I'm given to think that they did have the stuff. 

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky