Toys R Us to Sell or Liquidate All Stores

After filing for bankruptcy last year, closing almost 200 stores early this year, and fielding market rumors this past week, Toys "R" Us has announced it will be closing all of its locations in the US. As reported by USA Today, stores will be liquidated, and locations are to be sold or closed, which means some stores could be bought by a smaller buyer. What this means for us LEGO fans is an immediate chance at some sales, but a long-term struggle to find LEGO sets and promotions around town. While TRU was notorious for marking up their prices, they also had exclusives not found anywhere else. As the last retail chain toy store, everyone is left wondering how the toy industry will be shaped after these events. Personally, I have been shopping a TRU near my home since I was a kid, and will be sad to see this childhood staple off the map. How will you remember this toy store?

View the full article

Another store I haven't bought from in years, but have many childhood memories of, closing down, and making me feel sad for no rational reason. Welcome to the club, TRU. Kmart and Blockbuster have been waiting for you.

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I'm sad to see the shops go. Toys' R Us was where I got my very first Lego Set. I have some good memories of going to the one in Edmonton with my family. Perhaps I should help it out by buying a bunch of toys from them and giving them to charity.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

This makes me especially sad. I loved going there as a kid, and I also associate the store strongly with BIONICLE (many sets were bought there). It's Blockbuster all over again...

Not to mention this is the last major toy store chain in America. There's nothing else left except a few specialty stores.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Let's take a moment to remember all the Bionicle sets that were exclusively sold by Toys 'R' Us, shall we?

First was the Takutanuva combo set with the Mask of Light movie-designed Kanohi Kraahkan. Next came the Ultimate Teridax/Dume set, which included another movie-inspired Kanohi Kraahkan. Then there was Makuta Icarax, whose Kraahkan was NOT modeled after the movies. Finally, there was the Karzahni set which included Sarda, Idris, and their makeshift trap.

Did I miss any?

Let's take a moment to remember all the Bionicle sets that were exclusively sold by Toys 'R' Us, shall we?

Did I miss any?

I have some nice TRU-branded Bionicle gear. The kanohi collector's case and the book Makuta's Guide to the Universe both come to mind.