G1-G2 continuation axioms i'm just gonna throw out there

People have done a ton of G1-G2 continuation theories, when they get really specific it just ends up being fanfiction; I have some ideas about potential plotpoints that could be used to connect the two if BIONICLE were ever to be revived again (unlikely I know, but we can imagine) that I haven't heard from anybody else, so I'm gonna put them out there:

1) The big one. Many people have speculated about Okoto being on Spherus Magna in the future. But with the description of the G2 Mask of Time, which was definitely the single solitary thing in G2 that was actually intended to be a G1 connection, it's said that the mask is "older than the world of Okoto and the stars in its sky", and I doubt the top half of the Vahi existed throughout G1 and we just didn't know about it. Plus the Temple of Time was said to be a bridge to other worlds, so it's clear that G2 is meant to take place on/in a different world than G1. But one thing that everybody I've seen theorize on connections overlooks, that really makes this very easy, is the Golden-Skinned Being. He was clearly being set up for a major role in the contimuing story before it was cut short, and he had incredible power. In Sahmad's Tale, he creates a world far away from Spherus Magna full of beings like Annona, and then sends her to it. So we know he has the power to create distant planets, determine what's on them, and teleport people from Spherus Magna to them. Given the metaphysical descriptions of the formation of Okoto, and the fact that the Toa fell to Okoto from the stars, I think that's something to keep in mind.

2) The G2 Toa have no elemental powers; their power comes from their masks. In The Yesterday Quest, Kabura, who also was clearly being set up for a major role, had a launcher that could deactivate a Toa's elemental powers that was given to him by Velika, who was being groomed as the new main antagonist. Plus we know that there is a Kanohi mask for each element, but of the we've only seen the Avohkii, Kraahkan, and Garai. Maybe the Toa Nuva got their elemental powers deactivated and then get new masks corresponding to the Spherus Magna elements (for whatever reason) to compensate?

3) There was a big party of characters that Velika tried to kill in the Great Being fortress that escaped; of the group, the two most powerful were Artakha, bearer of the Mask of Creation, and Miserix, the last of the Makuta. These two could have some connection to G2's Ekimu and Makuta, though I'd stop short of saying they're the same characters.

4) Biggest longshot - Velika wears a powerless Komau, the Mask of Mind Control. Maybe he picked out that mask because he had some kind of Great Being trick up his sleeve to use that mask power to aid in his world domination schemes? And then you could connect that to G2's Mask of Control. Somehow.

What do you guys think of these ideas?

Edited by onionfarb
I miss BIONICLE.

I never really followed the G2 story (I’ll have to put that on my to-do list) but I always had the idea that either:

A) Okoto was an island on Spherus Magna really, really far into the future and that the Masters were either the Toa Nuva transformed and given amnesia (again!) or simply named after them.

Or B) The G2 reality was a really different alternate universe/pocket dimension, and any connection to G1 would be through the Olmak (either the one inside Vezon or one from yet another alternate universe).

Oh, and are you proposing that G2 Makuta is really Velika?

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

I never really followed the G2 story (I’ll have to put that on my to-do list) but I always had the idea that either:

A) Okoto was an island on Spherus Magna really, really far into the future and that the Masters were either the Toa Nuva transformed and given amnesia (again!) or simply named after them.

Or B) The G2 reality was a really different alternate universe/pocket dimension, and any connection to G1 would be through the Olmak (either the one inside Vezon or one from yet another alternate universe).

Oh, and are you proposing that G2 Makuta is really Velika?

Not necessarily that he is Velika, just that his Mask of Control is Velika's Komau, transformed somehow. It's just an idea, like, if the story were to ever be continued whoever was writing it could link those two plot points, if they were concerned with that.

And having G2 be an alternate universe, thats also an idea a lot of people say, but the thing is alternate universes were always timelines that branched off of the main continuity, where different decisions were made that led to different outcomes, not just other realities where the whole thing was different for no reason, so I personally never liked that idea

Edited by onionfarb
I miss BIONICLE.

Well, I would go with G2 being another universe because that’s how reboots happen. I mean, look at the Spider-Man movies TV shows and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TV shows and movies, for example. They’re like that, though I wish the Spider-Man shows could make crossovers to the others, like the TMNT ones.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Well, I would go with G2 being another universe because that’s how reboots happen. I mean, look at the Spider-Man movies TV shows and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TV shows and movies, for example. They’re like that, though I wish the Spider-Man shows could make crossovers to the others, like the TMNT ones.

Yeah, I mean obviously that's what the creators of G2 were doing. I'm just saying, if you wanted to connect them, these ways make the most sense to me.

• Upvote 1
I miss BIONICLE.

I personally like the head-canon that G2 was the ancient history of the Great Beings' ancestors. In the G2 online serial animations there is Vahi iconography hidden everywhere in the background, and I like to imagine that could be a hinting from the story team that time is the key variable here, i.e. G1 and G2 would be separated by time. It being in the past rather than the future makes more sense to me too. The Okotans clearly reproduce biologically as the title of Protector is passed from parent to child, and we know that the Glatorian species - of which the Great Beings are a part of - also reproduce biologically. Additionally, Jungle rather than Air is a prime element in G2, just as it was among the species of Spherus Magna. I like to imagine G2 is "the time before time" to the Great Beings, their own legends that are told around campfires and whatnot. They would have then woven hints of these legends into their creations, such as naming the Toa Mata after the ancient Toa of their own legends.

I've worked out a pretty detailed web of connections for head-canon purposes that I won't scrawl out here, but it's definitely doable without going too far out in left field, and I selfishly think it's more satisfying than just saying G2 was simply another dimension or reality. Also I don't consider the top half of the Vahi being absent in G1 a major issue as it could have been left behind on Spherus Magna and therefore totally outside the main story.

Except that the G1 Vahi was totally created from scratch, not from modifying an already existing mask.

That would be one element that would take some re-working, true. The solution I like to imagine is that Artakha was given the ancient Vahi/lower half by the Great Beings and split it up into the Great Kanoka and hid them to keep it safe until the time was right. Splitting up powerful artifacts seems to be a running theme, as with the Makoki stones or the Keystones. BS01 does say that Artakha made the Great Disks, and he is one of the most ancient beings in the MU, so I don't think it would be a huge stretch. 

I'm not really comfortable with the idea that the G2 story team would alter the G1 story like that, though (and I'm not sure they'd be comfortable doing that either).

But one thing that everybody I've seen theorize on connections overlooks, that really makes this very easy, is the Golden-Skinned Being. He was clearly being set up for a major role in the contimuing story before it was cut short, and he had incredible power. In Sahmad's Tale, he creates a world far away from Spherus Magna full of beings like Annona, and then sends her to it. So we know he has the power to create distant planets, determine what's on them, and teleport people from Spherus Magna to them.

So maybe the Golden-Skinned Being created Okoto because someone "wished" for it, is that another idea you're getting at?

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 1

I'm not really comfortable with the idea that the G2 story team would alter the G1 story like that, though (and I'm not sure they'd be comfortable doing that either).

Oh I have no illusion they would haha, the theory is entirely for my own entertainment and head canon. I favor it cause I think it makes sense and is fun not cause LEGO would ever back it or actually use it.

Except that the G1 Vahi was totally created from scratch, not from modifying an already existing mask.

The thing about the Vahi (in G1) is that the other two Legendary Masks, the Mask of Life and the Mask of Creation, were created by the Great Beings at the dawn of the Matoran Universe, but the Mask of Time was created 99,000 years after the fact. The Legendary Masks are tied to fundemental aspects of reality, so what I had always figured is that part of the nature of the Vahi, as part of the Great Beings' design, was that it didn't exist yet, but it would one day be created in the future, because it's the Mask of Time.

So maybe the Golden-Skinned Being created Okoto because someone "wished" for it, is that another idea you're getting at?

Exactly. Or more specifically that he created the planet that Okoto is on, and sent the Toa to it, which would be why the G2 Toa fall from the stars and return to them at the end of Journey to One. Edited by onionfarb
I miss BIONICLE.

• 3 weeks later...

I just found a quote from Greg that kind of ruins all connection theories, and although many BZP members like to dispute what Greg says, they don't really have any grounds to dispute this:

For what it's worth, I was told on more than one occasion that there was no connection between G1 and G2.

However...

We must not lose all hope, as we already know that Greg's involvement in G2 was limited to reading the story bible and giving a few pointers before the line was launched. Therefore, it can be argued that the connection was decided upon later, toward the end.

I don't quite get why everyone even wants a G1-G2 connection. G2 was really bad story-wise and I can't conceive of what G1 would have to benefit from being connected to G2. G2 would be more interesting from a connection but in the process would create a whole slew of continuity problems for both generations.

I wish G2 were better too but connecting it to G1 wouldn't really make it better. It would make it more significant, but not particularly more entertaining or meaningful. It would just invite fruitless debate about how it even fits into the canon. Even those debates would never be satisfying considering I doubt the story-tellers would have put that much thought in the connection if they had gone that route. G1 already has enough problems with its own canon, I have no desire to see it further confused.

Edited by Banana Gunz

I don't quite get why everyone even wants a G1-G2 connection. G2 was really bad story-wise and I can't conceive of what G1 would have to benefit from being connected to G2. G2 would be more interesting from a connection but in the process would create a whole slew of continuity problems for both generations.

I wish G2 were better too but connecting it to G1 wouldn't really make it better. It would make it more significant, but not particularly more entertaining or meaningful. It would just invite fruitless debate about how it even fits into the canon. Even those debates would never be satisfying considering I doubt the story-tellers would have put that much thought in the connection if they had gone that route. G1 already has enough problems with its own canon, I have no desire to see it further confused.

i mean youre right honestly

• Upvote 1
I miss BIONICLE.

I think a continuation is interesting just because it grants G2 more validity. I never heard any of these fan theories, but I love that thought of the gold skinned being creating the G2 universe!

It was such a waste to introduce a character like that and then cancel everything, honestly.