Makuta rotating Kanohi

No, I'm not talking about the spinnies. :P

We know some Makuta possessed armouries with various weapons and such, and that they rotated them on a regular basis. Did they do the same with Kanohi?

I wouldn't be too surprised considering Icarax and Tridax both used different Kanohi to what was considered to be their 'primary' Kanohi. But were their Kanohi really primary Kanohi, or did they have multiple Kanohi which they rotated regularly like their weapons?

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

It would make sense. I mean, if you have 42 powers by default, it's easy to get carried away with even more  :P

Though in all seriousness, since Toa are known to use multiple masks as well, and many Kanohi covering purposes that do not fall into the 42 Makuta powers, why would they restrict themselves from using multiple masks depending on the situation and what is needed?

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

It would make sense. I mean, if you have 42 powers by default, it's easy to get carried away with even more  :P

Though in all seriousness, since Toa are known to use multiple masks as well, and many Kanohi covering purposes that do not fall into the 42 Makuta powers, why would they restrict themselves from using multiple masks depending on the situation and what is needed?

And yet, no Makuta ever used a mask of speed... :P

Raises another question, could makuta use Suvas?

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

But even Toa had primary Kanohi. That's the question: Makuta did not have primary weapons; did they not have primary Kanohi either?

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Teridax seemed pretty fond of the Kraahkan, mostly for symbolic reasons. And Icarax only ditched his original mask for the Kraahkan, and presumably for the same reason: symbolism.

Keep in mind that Makuta can’t take off their masks without some of their antidermis leaking out (in Legacy of Evil, when they remove the Kraahkan from Teridax’s head armor, there was an empty hole behind it, meaning the mask acts as part of the armor’s seal).

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Teridax seemed pretty fond of the Kraahkan, mostly for symbolic reasons. And Icarax only ditched his original mask for the Kraahkan, and presumably for the same reason: symbolism.

Keep in mind that Makuta can’t take off their masks without some of their antidermis leaking out (in Legacy of Evil, when they remove the Kraahkan from Teridax’s head armor, there was an empty hole behind it, meaning the mask acts as part of the armor’s seal).

Not being able to take off masks doesn't necessarily matter if they could use Suvas, though, as Iron_Man5 suggests. That would allow them to swap between masks without removing and replacing their masks. There's also the fact that Teridax's armor was for all intents and purposes crippled in Legacy of Evil—the hole behind the mask may have been a result of being crushed, or, alternatively, an impermanent feature that a Makuta's shapeshifting power might be able to correct for.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

There's also the fact that Teridax's armor was for all intents and purposes crippled in Legacy of Evil—the hole behind the mask may have been a result of being crushed, or, alternatively, an impermanent feature that a Makuta's shapeshifting power might be able to correct for.

BS01 Wiki:

If a Makuta's Kanohi is removed, Antidermis will also leak out.

There's no source though.

There's also the fact that Teridax's armor was for all intents and purposes crippled in Legacy of Evil—the hole behind the mask may have been a result of being crushed, or, alternatively, an impermanent feature that a Makuta's shapeshifting power might be able to correct for.

BS01 Wiki:

If a Makuta's Kanohi is removed, Antidermis will also leak out.

There's no source though.

Fun fact, but when the 2003 Makuta set first came out, I'm pretty sure that in the product description it mentioned this saying that Makuta's power was tied to his mask and armor, hinting that if either were taken or destroyed it would weaken him.

To be honest, each Makuta's mask choice does lead one to wonder why some chose certain masks over others. Bitil we know loved and hated his mask for the sheer power it gave him, but it also had major setbacks. Mutran and Chirox hated each other, but they still used the exact same mask for just a couple of examples.

Formerly Iron_Man5

I personally think they COULD, but chose not to. The makuta were probably one of the politcally stongest and wealthiest groups in the matoran universe. So I feel like their members could probably choose their masks and keep the one they liked the best or the most useful. I feel like using the same mask time after time would make it second nature (a big help in battle), as opposed to trying to discover new powers new masks have (the turaga literally had to trick some of the Toa into discovering some of their mask powers). Also, many makuta have expressed that speed is pretty much the one power they DONT have. Theyce also said that the only reason they don't use the kakama, is because they don't want to be like pathetic Toa. Since pathetic Toa need to rely on the extra powerups of extra masks, and need to use suvas, I doubt any self-respecting makuta would do either. They could, but would choose not to over pride.

Fun fact, but when the 2003 Makuta set first came out, I'm pretty sure that in the product description it mentioned this saying that Makuta's power was tied to his mask and armor, hinting that if either were taken or destroyed it would weaken him.

So we were getting hints at the Makuta’s true nature that early?

I would believe so yes. Unfortunately I have no concrete way to prove it, as I don't currently own my copy of the catalog anymore, and I've scoured the internet for an image and turned up nil. :(

Formerly Iron_Man5

I would believe so yes. Unfortunately I have no concrete way to prove it, as I don't currently own my copy of the catalog anymore, and I've scoured the internet for an image and turned up nil. :(

I might have it somewhere.