Bionicle: The Legend of Mata Nui Beta released!

And we know that Templar had access to the LOMN assets - many of the early characters in MNOG are actually traced from the LOMN models. It seems reasonable they could have deployed those models to mock up some additional scenes they felt they needed, including one showing their version of the Makuta fight.

This sounds likely to me.

Like I said, that was what was suggested in the last thread, and wasn’t my idea. I’m not that knowledgeable about the development of MNOG. Where did we learn they had Saffire assets?

The earliest giveaway was when Deep Brick shared the Onua model from his copy of the game. Here's an image of the Pakari model - the normal holes in the mask are detailed in the texture, so the model itself has just got those slits in the cheeks. Since Templar was just porting the models, several of their early Pakari-wearers have got that (e.g. this dude).

Now that the whole game is out, people have compared other models and such and they'll line up exactly in the geometry and everything.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Like I said, that was what was suggested in the last thread, and wasn’t my idea. I’m not that knowledgeable about the development of MNOG. Where did we learn they had Saffire assets?

The earliest giveaway was when Deep Brick shared the Onua model from his copy of the game. Here's an image of the Pakari model - the normal holes in the mask are detailed in the texture, so the model itself has just got those slits in the cheeks. Since Templar was just porting the models, several of their early Pakari-wearers have got that (e.g. this dude).

Now that the whole game is out, people have compared other models and such and they'll line up exactly in the geometry and everything.

So they had the models, but not necessarily the textures?

Oh, and just while we’re on the subject of MNOG/Templar, are there any kind of developer credits for MNOG? I know there aren’t any in-game credits, but is there a complete list of people confirmed to have worked on it?

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Oh, and just while we’re on the subject of MNOG/Templar, are there any kind of developer credits for MNOG? I know there aren’t any in-game credits, but is there a complete list of people confirmed to have worked on it?

They probably had access to textures too, but the method for converting the 3D models to vectors that they used seems to have only read the models themselves. They would redraw details onto the vectors but things got confused sometimes, like in the case of the Ta-Koronan Guards where they've got the Pakari models but Templar drew Ruru details over them from a forward angle. 

Can't say I've ever seen a list of MNOG devs, official or otherwise.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

They probably had access to textures too, but the method for converting the 3D models to vectors that they used seems to have only read the models themselves. They would redraw details onto the vectors but things got confused sometimes, like in the case of the Ta-Koronan Guards where they've got the Pakari models but Templar drew Ruru details over them from a forward angle. 

Can't say I've ever seen a list of MNOG devs, official or otherwise.

Thanks for explaining why the game Pakari looked so different to the official one.

I don't know who every last person involved in MNOLG was, but Peter Mack, Gordon Klimes and Nathan Acheson were perhaps the most important of them. And we can't forget Justin Luchter's music.

Could the alpha and beta ever be combined into one game?

The beaverhouse is already hard at work on this. Currently they are mostly in the investigative phase, as they have yet to fully figure out the source code. Of particular interest to the team is attempting to put Nobua (the purple Hau villager at the beginning of the alpha) and the dancing Tohnuga into the beta - both are much loved among the Beaverhouse community,

Also, there are intentions to not only combine the content of the two builds, but also to finish the game. Concepts are currently being brainstormed for a final boss, and porting the cut alpha Makuta levels to the beta is a priority.[/quote

Don’t you guys have contact with the original developers of the game? Surely they must have an Ideia or concepts of how the fight with Teridax should have been. Why not ask them?

Don’t you guys have contact with the original developers of the game? Surely they must have an Ideia or concepts of how the fight with Teridax should have been. Why not ask them?

So far we have not found anyone who knew of any real plans for the ending, besides the platforming challenges.

Are signatures still a thing?

So far we have not found anyone who knew of any real plans for the ending, besides the platforming challenges.
Are there any plans to throw something together for the Shadow Toa and/or Teridax?

Oh, and are the Manas/Mana Ko programmed in as enemies? Or playable Toa Kaita?

Playable Kaita? Weren't they and the Manas confined to a cutscene?

The one that starts at Kini Nui and ends with the six Toa disappearing and the masks left on the floor.

Both Kaita were playable in the alpha. I use "playable" loosely, their section of the Makuta level is easily the most broken part of the game

I wonder how that fits with the cutscene I mentioned.

Edited by Sir Kohran

Playable Kaita? Weren't they and the Manas confined to a cutscene?

The one that starts at Kini Nui and ends with the six Toa disappearing and the masks left on the floor.

Both Kaita were playable in the alpha. I use "playable" loosely, their section of the Makuta level is easily the most broken part of the game

I wonder how that fits with the cutscene I mentioned.

There was no cutscene in that build. We think those levels were cut and replaced with a cutscene.

Are signatures still a thing?

Would it be possible to make the final release modifiable? Like, include all content from alpha and beta and have an external executable that lets you choose which levels from each you want to play? Just throwing it in, I have no idea if that's even possible.

I also wonder if this project could generate the interest to make a completely finished version of BIONICLE: The Game where all thirteen levels are included and playable...

• Upvote 2

We think those levels were cut and replaced with a cutscene.

Do you have any idea why?

I also wonder if this project could generate the interest to make a completely finished version of BIONICLE: The Game where all thirteen levels are included and playable...

I assume you'd need at least some content from the missing levels to do that properly.

I assume you'd need at least some content from the missing levels to do that properly.

As I understand it, a lot of the "missing" content is actually present in the game files.

Would it be possible to make the final release modifiable? Like, include all content from alpha and beta and have an external executable that lets you choose which levels from each you want to play? Just throwing it in, I have no idea if that's even possible.

The current plan is to get the alpha and beta playable from start to end as much as possible and then provide a third build with the best content from each combined (although not customizable as you said), hopefully (if they can ever mod the game that deeply) with a new Makuta final boss. Edited by OmegaLucasNuva

Visit my MOC page:

Toa Hiru!!

and the

Tahu Nuva Revamp

See my Epic:

Aki-Nui

and its Review Topic

I wonder if we could potentially get official support from LEGO for our dedication to save. If they show interest in it...it could be released to the public on modern systems.
Perhaps Travellers Tales who are used to creating LEGO games could be trusted to take over and finish properly coding it.

And if it gets approved optimized and released on PS4, XBOX ONE, Nintendo Switch and PC then it might spark real interest in the bionicle series again.  :br:

Edited by Toa of Ice - 1987

qs3135.jpg

I wonder if we could potentially get official support from LEGO for our dedication to save. If they show interest in it...it could be released to the public on modern systems.

Perhaps Travellers Tales who are used to creating LEGO games could be trusted to take over and finish properly coding it.

And if it gets approved optimized and released on PS4, XBOX ONE, Nintendo Switch and PC then it might spark real interest in the bionicle series again.  :br:

Sorry, but there is absolutely no way that would ever happen in a billion years

And if it gets approved optimized and released on PS4, XBOX ONE, Nintendo Switch and PC then it might spark real interest in the bionicle series again. :br:

This particular game would never happen, but I wish they’d at least reissue some of their older games patched for modern PCs via Steam or something (LEGO Island series, BtG, Heroes, etc). They’re bound to make at least some profit in today’s nostalgia-obsessed society.

And if it gets approved optimized and released on PS4, XBOX ONE, Nintendo Switch and PC then it might spark real interest in the bionicle series again. :br:

This particular game would never happen, but I wish they’d at least reissue some of their older games patched for modern PCs via Steam or something (LEGO Island series, BtG, Heroes, etc). They’re bound to make at least some profit in today’s nostalgia-obsessed society.

Theres always opportunity, the game was cancelled because the management shut-down the old lego pc game brand from the 90's Edited by Toa of Ice - 1987

qs3135.jpg

Theres always opportunity, the game was cancelled because the management shut-down the old lego pc game brand from the 90's

Not for this game. It's unlikely they'll even do that for games that were released, so an unreleased and unfinished game for a dead franchise has zero chance.

• Upvote 3

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

Theres always opportunity, the game was cancelled because the management shut-down the old lego pc game brand from the 90's

Not for this game. It's unlikely they'll even do that for games that were released, so an unreleased and unfinished game for a dead franchise has zero chance.

They also refused, in pretty strong words, to even give permission for Deep Brick to share the game with fans. I think they really want nothing more to do with it.

There's already a petition for that but its for BIONICLE: Heroes

Lego video games exist to advertise their product lines. That's why they're almost always quickly slapped together trash. When the line no longer exists, the game might as well not exist anymore as far as Lego is concerned.

And this far down the line, you'd think people would realise petitions for Bionicle related things are pointless.

How many petitions popped up when G1 was first announced to be ending to try and stop it? Look how those worked out.

• Upvote 2

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

Lego video games exist to advertise their product lines. That's why they're almost always quickly slapped together trash. When the line no longer exists, the game might as well not exist anymore as far as Lego is concerned.

And this far down the line, you'd think people would realise petitions for Bionicle related things are pointless.

How many petitions popped up when G1 was first announced to be ending to try and stop it? Look how those worked out.

And even before that there was the campaign to stop that Invasion book being cancelled, which of course also didn't work.

Let's face it, decisions are usually made for reasons that fan feelings don't overrule.