Skrall armour colours

As you know, Skrall have black armour. But they also have a second colour, such as red, maroon or lime green. What I want to know is, what, if anything, do those secondary colours mean? Are they like clan colours or something?

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I don't know of an official explanation. My best guess is that they're an indication of rank, though Stars Skrall kinda screws that up. If you ignore the Stars, though (whose exact designs weren't completely canon anyway), I think it being a sign of rank also explains why Tuma is the only Skrall we've seen with a green rock steed: it's reserved for him since green is the color of the Skrall Chief.

• Upvote 2

sigbanner.gif

I don't know of an official explanation. My best guess is that they're an indication of rank, though Stars Skrall kinda screws that up. If you ignore the Stars, though (whose exact designs weren't completely canon anyway), I think it being a sign of rank also explains why Tuma is the only Skrall we've seen with a green rock steed: it's reserved for him since green is the color of the Skrall Chief.

This is probably our best bet. Additionally, Stronius uses Metru Red while Skrall (the set) used Mata Red. Based on how Tuma and Stronius interacted in that serial, I'm guessing Stronius is of higher rank than the usual Skrall, so this supports the theory as well. 

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

This is probably our best bet. Additionally, Stronius uses Metru Red while Skrall (the set) used Mata Red. Based on how Tuma and Stronius interacted in that serial, I'm guessing Stronius is of higher rank than the usual Skrall, so this supports the theory as well. 

Yeah, Stronius is a more elite Skrall, hence why he has a name. Typical Skrall don't get individual names.

sigbanner.gif

Personally, I'd like to think it's more a clan color. But, since they don't even have names unless they earn one, and they're bred solely for the purpose of being soldiers, I doubt clans would even exist.

Denoting rank is probably more likely. I can't imagine what else it would be, aside from the out-of-canon explanation of "blame the set designers."

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Rank would be my guess too...only weird part, is where does that leave the rank of stars Skrall? Where they the highest rank under Tuma himself because of the green, or does lime green represent both the lowest and highest? I'd like to think the stars Skrall were Tuma's best of the best going in for vengeance.

Rank would be my guess too...only weird part, is where does that leave the rank of stars Skrall? Where they the highest rank under Tuma himself because of the green, or does lime green represent both the lowest and highest? I'd like to think the stars Skrall were Tuma's best of the best going in for vengeance.

Why were there so many then?

I just think the Stars Skrall were semi-canon, or one of those things that would have been retconned had the importance of this been brought to light soon enough

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Why were there so many then?

I just think the Stars Skrall were semi-canon, or one of those things that would have been retconned had the importance of this been brought to light soon enough

Everything about the stars sets was a a bit noncanon and weird...but were there really that many? We have no idea how large the entire skrall army was to begin with. I don't think it was an absurd amount, definitely less than the amount of rahkshi there were.

I always imagined that the color indicated position. The lime green Skrall were scouts, the mata red Skrall were warriors, and elite Skrall were metru red.

The only wierd part though, is Tuma is the elite of the elite, and he has lime green too

I always imagined that the color indicated position. The lime green Skrall were scouts, the mata red Skrall were warriors, and elite Skrall were metru red.

I also always thought it was connected to position, with shades of red being warriors, green representing leader, another color for a scout, a farmer (did Skrall farm?), another color for hunters, and so on.  I just choose to ignore the appearance of the stars skrall for most purposes.

• 4 weeks later...

Am I the only one who thinks that assuming color signifies rank would be redundant, since the sets are already arranged by rank via size/bulk? I've always assumed that any Skrall of any class could be any color, and they were only depicted the way there were in visual media to match up with their set forms. So, while there does seem to be a convenient association of red with regular Skrall, dark red with elite warriors, and lime for leaders in regards to the sets, I never thought that carried over into the story. If I'm allowed to speculate a little bit as to what significance the colors can mean, it could have to do with geography or special division affiliations. For instance, maybe the Skrall's homeland on Bota Magna was divided into provinces, and each Skrall of a certain province shared a color. Or maybe it's similar to Phase II clone trooper armor from Star Wars, where all men in a certain unit (from the commander to the grunts) have the same color, like orange for Commander Cody's troops or blue for the 501st.

I always assumed the Stars Skrall was simply a reimagining of a regular Skrall, and since I never connected color with rank I just assumed LEGO wanted to add some variety and made him green.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

• 4 weeks later...

Am I the only one who thinks that assuming color signifies rank would be redundant, since the sets are already arranged by rank via size/bulk? I've always assumed that any Skrall of any class could be any color, and they were only depicted the way there were in visual media to match up with their set forms. So, while there does seem to be a convenient association of red with regular Skrall, dark red with elite warriors, and lime for leaders in regards to the sets, I never thought that carried over into the story. If I'm allowed to speculate a little bit as to what significance the colors can mean, it could have to do with geography or special division affiliations. For instance, maybe the Skrall's homeland on Bota Magna was divided into provinces, and each Skrall of a certain province shared a color. Or maybe it's similar to Phase II clone trooper armor from Star Wars, where all men in a certain unit (from the commander to the grunts) have the same color, like orange for Commander Cody's troops or blue for the 501st.

I always assumed the Stars Skrall was simply a reimagining of a regular Skrall, and since I never connected color with rank I just assumed LEGO wanted to add some variety and made him green.

Could be true and Tuma was stated to be the last from his clan but the stars designers forgot about it when making these minor sets and make him a lower rank member of Tuma's lost clan.

qs3135.jpg

size of set doesn't necessarily signify rank though. Tahu, Takanuva, and Gresh all got downsized in the stars sets, but I don't think anyone would argue they have low rank. Plus I've heard it said that the piraka stars set was never meant to be an in general skakdi set, but was actually meant to be a Nektann set (as a powerful skakdi leader, his rank is high).

On the other hand, Lego probably just had green pieces leftover and didn't want to spend money to print red ones..

(snip)

Could be true and Tuma was stated to be the last from his clan but the stars designers forgot about it when making these minor sets and make him a lower rank member of Tuma's lost clan.

I only recall it said that Tuma was the last leader-class Skrall. If there was a lime green division of Skrall, there could be other non-leaders alive.

(snip)

size of set doesn't necessarily signify rank though. Tahu, Takanuva, and Gresh all got downsized in the stars sets, but I don't think anyone would argue they have low rank. Plus I've heard it said that the piraka stars set was never meant to be an in general skakdi set, but was actually meant to be a Nektann set (as a powerful skakdi leader, his rank is high).

On the other hand, Lego probably just had green pieces leftover and didn't want to spend money to print red ones..

The sizes of the Stars were skewed, but before that all canister-sized sets since 2006 were roughly the same size both as actual sets and in the storyline. In the storyline, the size/bulk of a Skrall was definitely part of their rank. Edited by Master Inika

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

mabye the green skrall from the stars were like agori to the leader class skrall (the skrall class that tuma belonged to)

this would explain their green colouring and supposed rank as they do rank higher than regular agori but only in terms of 

agori heirachy

S    Q       U    I       D     M     A     S     T     E    R

check out my imgur gallery for bionicle photography: https://mahatparthiban.imgur.com/all/

mabye the green skrall from the stars were like agori to the leader class skrall (the skrall class that tuma belonged to)

this would explain their green colouring and supposed rank as they do rank higher than regular agori but only in terms of 

agori heirachy

Canonically, the Stars were all canister-size characters. Gresh also has an Agori build, but it's still the same Glatorian Gresh.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

I made a bit of a story reason.

Green had come to mean a sacred color in Skrall society, but red is the usual color for their people since ancient times (the metal they cast is of a dark, near black or plain black steel). There was once a mythical skrall who united his people to fight against a greater threat, he was born "wrong" (according to the customs of the day) and had green skin rather than the usual red to red-pink, which is what he is remembered by sicne his name is forgotten, called the Green One, Greani, Khlorhan, etc. Most is forgotten about his life and deeds, now being famous for being famous and wielding a glowing sword of white-silver (which would be lost to time).

Ages later nearer to the present, you have Tuma, last of his line from the ancient giant dynasties, and as king he is clad in green as according to their culture. After his fall prior to the Battle of Roxtus, however, the skrall were divided amongst warlords, they being the prestigious named skralls, all vying for control to become king. The first to adopt the color green as his banner was Stronius, and by this symbology and his strategic brutality he defeated the rest of the Skrall warlords one by one until it was only the blue banner of Branar. After a bloodgushing ambush this force was wiped out is a single fell strike, the blue king of the black north running away, a ruler in exile eventually to be captured. During the wars in the north, the Battle of Bara Magna broke out and the mountainous lands of the north were ruined by the stomping feet and energy blasts fo those alien colossus gods, and in the middle of the fighting Stronius conducted raids to attack both the allies of the united Agori Kingdom and the invading robotic aliens. Once the battle ended, he took his forces back up north.

Edited by The Hip Historian Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

• 1 year later...

I like the idea of them being different clans. After all, if there were lots of leader class, they had to lead some sort of group. So I think those groups would be armies, or I suppose something like cohorts or legions to stick with the subtle Roman themes of the Skrall (at least I think there are, like with the name Stronius). There’s a red one, a maroon one, a green one, and maybe more.

On 3/14/2020 at 12:39 PM, Glace said:

I like the idea of them being different clans. After all, if there were lots of leader class, they had to lead some sort of group. So I think those groups would be armies, or I suppose something like cohorts or legions to stick with the subtle Roman themes of the Skrall (at least I think there are, like with the name Stronius). There’s a red one, a maroon one, a green one, and maybe more.

@Glace, please remember to check the date of the last post in a topic before you reply. This topic has been inactive since August 2018—that's over a year and a half! If you'd like to continue the discussion, please feel free to start a new topic. :)

Revived topic closed.

• Eyru locked this topic