Set Review: 10758 T-Rex Breakout

Baby dino

Sometimes the dinosaurs are big, sometimes they're small, and sometimes they're in big boxes meant for little kids but are being reviewed by adult kids. Today BZPower Reporter Chocolate Frogs reviews 10758 Jurassic World's T-Rex Breakout Juniors set; a big set with a few pieces that packs a punch. Is this set worth buying for big and little kids alike? Or should it stay in its pen? Read, and watch, to find out.

View the full article

Why are Juniors sets so far above the 10-cents a piece average, even for a licensed theme?

The reason for this is obvious, isn't it? Most of the bricks in Juniors sets are bigger on average than in normal System sets, and many of them are printed bricks, complex molds, or both. This has an even bigger impact when you have giant molded, printed, pre-assembled elements like the T-Rex head, tail, and body in the mix, because parts like that tend to be be pricy even in normal System sets. It's basically all the reasons out there for why one brick might cost more than another except for the presence or absence of electronics.

For comparison's sake, last year's Demolition Site set was $30, 175 pieces, and weighed 0.56kilograms. Manta Ray Bomber at $30, 341 bricks (nearly twice as many), and still weighed only 0.54 kilograms. Even without considering the other factors like printing or complex molds, it doesn't make sense to expect the same price per piece when the average part in the demolition site weighs more than twice as much as the average piece in the bomber.

Why are Juniors sets so far above the 10-cents a piece average, even for a licensed theme?

The reason for this is obvious, isn't it? Most of the bricks in Juniors sets are bigger on average than in normal System sets, and many of them are printed bricks, complex molds, or both. This has an even bigger impact when you have giant molded, printed, pre-assembled elements like the T-Rex head, tail, and body in the mix, because parts like that tend to be be pricy even in normal System sets. It's basically all the reasons out there for why one brick might cost more than another except for the presence or absence of electronics.

For comparison's sake, last year's Demolition Site set was $30, 175 pieces, and weighed 0.56kilograms. Manta Ray Bomber at $30, 341 bricks (nearly twice as many), and still weighed only 0.54 kilograms. Even without considering the other factors like printing or complex molds, it doesn't make sense to expect the same price per piece when the average part in the demolition site weighs more than twice as much as the average piece in the bomber.

I realize Juniors have some pricier parts. Which is why I mentioned that, given a few larger pieces, $30 seems more reasonable for this 150 piece set.

nexo_shields_9.jpg

I realize Juniors have some pricier parts. Which is why I mentioned that, given a few larger pieces, $30 seems more reasonable for this 150 piece set.

$30 seems like a lowball estimate to me. Juniors sets in general have some pricier parts. But the T-Rex in this set is above and beyond even the usual for Juniors. Considering its size and weight is comparable to 31058 (subtracting the weight of that set's instructions and box) I think it would easily cost between $10 and $15 on its own.

With the van and one minifigure, even being conservative you're looking at at least a $5 set (compare the price of similar-sized vehicle sets, even ones from a decade ago like 7731 or 7236), and the same with the lab/nursery (compare with sets like the Friends animal packs). So the only way the set ends up being priced at $30 is if you think that the entire gate and fence structure (including ground plates) would cost below $10. I certainly don't think I could make that case.

Edited by Aanchir