The Protectors have no jaws in The Journey to One

Nobody had moving mouths in JtO, which would remove the necessity of a jaw. Why give a character a visible jaw if their mouth won't move when speaking? This is a very thin topic for discussion mate. You could have at least put more effort into the OP than just one image and one word.

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Don’t characters need jaws to speak? Well, I think they do. The Protectors and their kind are mostly organic, like the Agori, so they must need nourishment. It’s not like watching a Waddle Dee from a TV show called Kirby: Right Back at Ya! absorbing food when it doesn’t have a mouth.

You may also ask yourself this: Can characters from The Legend Reborn smile and frown? Lol. But, seriously.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

• 4 weeks later...

Trust me, you're not missing much, Toa Doublebee.

I believe they should have left the face design alone. Tahu looked plain freaky with his mask off in ep. 3.

• Upvote 1
Evil knows, that hope is afloat.

Where life is enslaved, all can be saved.

Light will unite, what now darkness divides.

Spark the flame of the heart

FOR THE FUTURE TO START.

Read my epic G2 fanfic, Beyond Okoto, and find out what happened after the Toa left Okoto!

I believe they should have left the face design alone.

So it’s like the G2 equivalent of the Miramax trilogy?

The classic trilogy took several liberties, but they mostly felt like good decisions. Imagine how inexpressive the characters woulda been had their masks not shown the movements of their mouths and eyes. It would just be weird and uncomfortable--rather like Matoran with no mouths, perhaps...

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Imagine how inexpressive the characters woulda been had their masks not shown the movements of their mouths and eyes. It would just be weird and uncomfortable--rather like Matoran with no mouths, perhaps...

Templar managed to do it rather well. Just use body language and eye-based expressions

(the comics did this too). No verbal dialogue though...

• Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

So, being that I’m on a medical leave of absence from work due to surgery, I have plenty of free time for a week. I finally sat down and watched the entire series today, and my feelings are...mixed, to say the least.

First, I’ll address the topic: NOT all the characters are lacking jaws. Umarak has a jaw when he becomes the Destroyer. But does he ever actually use it? Nope. His mouth remains closed the whole time, even when screaming “NOOOO!!!!!”

The topic of religion was banned from discussion in G1, but in this show, they mention “the gods.”

And what, no real final battle with Makuta? They just pull an MNOLG/LoMN and combine their powers to defeat him instantly.

And lastly, I consider these people to be completely different characters from their G1 namesakes. Pohatu, who will forever have a special place in my heart as my first set from both G1 and G2, has a totally opposite personality to the original. The most serious Toa? In G1, he was basically the least serious Toa. In G1, he was happy to make friends with everyone, but in G2, he’s basically a loner. And why can he fly, again? And to a lesser extent, Kopaka is basically the opposite of the original. He was definitely the most serious Toa in G1, while in G2, he’s a clumsy oaf. And with returning the Toa to the stars, it’s pretty clear they wanted to bury BIONICLE quickly without leaving the possibility of continuation.

Lewa’s liberal use of “ain’t” was rather jarring. I don’t remember “ain’t” being used even once in the entirety of G1. And speaking of jarring, what was with making the characters 3D but basically everything else 2D? Either technique by itself can look great, but it always bothers me to see them conspicuously used together. And the character models/animation had about the same quality as the Search for the Mask of Light and Piraka animations from 2005 and 2006, kind of a weird cel-shaded look. The flexible chest armor was a nice touch, though.

Despite all this, it still managed to hold my attention for the very, very short amount of time it lasted, and I’ll give at least the designation of being a fun little distraction.

By the way, did Gali really call Tahu “Thau” at the beginning of the first non-prologue episode? That’s certainly what I was hearing.

Sorry about the long, review-like post. But I guess that’s it. The BIONICLE story is over for me now.

EDIT: I hate typing on an iPhone... but my computer’s in another room and moving isn’t easy right now...stupid tiny typo-prone keyboard...

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Imagine how inexpressive the characters woulda been had their masks not shown the movements of their mouths and eyes. It would just be weird and uncomfortable--rather like Matoran with no mouths, perhaps...

Templar managed to do it rather well. Just use body language and eye-based expressions

(the comics did this too). No verbal dialogue though...

They're still a lot harder to read than something with a visible mouth. They can be read, sure; but a lot less information can be gleaned from their face. Whether or not a character's mouth is open, for example, can be an indicator of shock.

• Upvote 1

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

• 1 month later...