How Do The Inika's Powers Work?

So, this is something I've noticed. The Toa Inika's elemental powers are supposed to be infused with lightning, but the books always seemed to flip-flop on that. Matoro uses an ice/lightning attack against Vezok, but later when he makes ice to combat Umbra, it doesn't seem to be electrically charged.

BS01 appears to confirm that the lightning infusion is involuntary, which just confounds the problem. I mean, shouldn't that mean the dirt fist Nuparu slammed Zaktan with should have been pumped full of lightning? And I never saw Hewkii tossing around lightning rocks.

I suppose one could say that it only applies when they're creating their element rather than manipulating existing samples, but that just brings me back to the Matoro question. And when Hahli created more moisture for him to work with, doesn't that mean it should have been charged as well?

Thoughts? Comments? Insane ramblings?

• Upvote 2

"If every porkchop were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs."

Some of those examples are under different circumstances. When Nuparu made a fist of dirt, he wasn't creating the earth with his power. He was manipulating pre-existing dirt. When Hahli generates water from her weapon, it would be fused with lightning.
In the Matoro example, there's nothing to say there was no lightning when he froze Umbra's cave. It's likely that he used existing moisture in the cave (caves tend to be kinda damp, in case you've never been in one), so he would have simply dropped the temperature and froze the water that was already there. Or, he generated the ice really quickly and the lightning dissipated before it could harm Umbra.

The other answer is that Greg may have just forgotten that particular detail every once in a while.

Edited by The 1st Shadow
  • Upvote 3

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~