Bionicle Quest for the Toa Jala has different masks?!

Tobbison

Most NPCs in the game have randomized masks, including Jala when you meet him at the start.

The main exceptions to this rule ive been able to spot are Onepu, and Jala when he appears in Ta Koro.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

This is true. Even most of the named Matoran have random masks. Strangely, I believe the now-famous Podu always has a Huna.

That might be - though with some characters there seems to be a greater chance they'll have one mask over others. Like Jala on the beach *usually* still has a Hau for me. Could be the case for Podu but he's harder to check since he's in the middle of a level.

That guy who grows the vuata maca trees always has a miru

oh true! I wasn't even mentally counting the wizards since they have a unique sprite that doesn't do the random mask generation.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

I don't think it is Jaller. His mannerisms and treatment toward Takua differ from how he acts when he meets Takua in Ta-Koro. He might look like Jaller and I think there's a Macku look-a-like in the training sequence as well, but I don't know that they're supposed to be the same characters.

As an aside, does anyone else get Hau and Akaku wearing Matoran whose mask changes based on which way they are facing?

• Upvote 1

Stories I wrote

Parts of a Whole Series: An Alternate Ending

Part 1: Fight for Freedom                        Wisps of Memory

Part 2: Army of One (In Progress)

Short Stories:
The Great Takara          
Tale of the Toa Stones          Masks

As an aside, does anyone else get Hau and Akaku wearing Matoran whose mask changes based on which way they are facing?

That's a slightly separate thing - they just never made a 'back angle' sprite for the Hau, so any Hau-wearing villagers use the Akaku sprite for that angle. Once you've seen it there's no unseeing it, lol

Also, does anyone know for sure what mask Podu has? I was never able to figure it out.

https://biosector01.com/w/images/bs01/2/20/Maku-Podu_Comparison.png

I made this comparison for BS01’s Podu talk page. That’s Macku on the left.

It wasn’t accepted because they want definitive proof that Podu’s mask isn’t randomly generated. I’ve never seen gameplay footage where he looks different.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

https://biosector01.com/w/images/bs01/2/20/Maku-Podu_Comparison.png

I made this comparison for BS01’s Podu talk page. That’s Macku on the left.

It wasn’t accepted because they want definitive proof that Podu’s mask isn’t randomly generated. I’ve never seen gameplay footage where he looks different.

Just did a 5x check, the other two villagers in the scene switched masks, Podu always had a Huna. It'd be good if someone else could try it out to verify, but its looking like he's one of the ones with a consistent mask. Neat!

Thats what I was talking about, Akaku at the top left, kakama at the bottom left, but I forgot where I saw the miru on him.

ZZmmcZQ.gif

Does this look like a van?