Deep-dive LOMN article with Developer Interview

Pohaturon

Hey guys! While the buzz around the recently rediscovered and restored Legend of Mata Nui game isn't at its height anymore, following months of research and a pair of interviews, a lengthy article I wrote about the game was published just now. 

For those of you who followed the events surrounding the game's re-emergence, there might not be too much new in there, but I did get an exclusive interview with Darvell Hunt, a programmer who worked for Saffire and on the LOMN project way back when, and there are other interesting tidbits in there. 

You can give it a read here: http://quillstreak.com/index.php/2018/09/15/bionicle-legend-mata-nui/

I'd be glad it hear what you think!

:kakama:

• Upvote 6

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

This is great! I haven't had a chance to read the whole thing yet, but I can already see how thorough the whole thing is. Easy to read, but still well-written, informative, and with some humor thrown in as well. Thanks for sharing! I've actually been meaning to check out some of your writing on Quillstreak for a while, but never got around to it until now.

Oh, and thanks so much for linking the Biological Chronicle compilation! I love any opportunities for it to reach more people.

• Upvote 1

sigbanner.gif

That was a great and informative read, I learned quite a bit I didn't know before. What an amazing story this game's has been.

Just one thing:

"Bionicle was cancelled in 2010 and ended on a cliffhanger with multiple story threads left unfinished"

Yes, there were some other stories left to be continued in the serials, but surely the basic story did end with Makuta/Teridax's destruction.

• Upvote 2

huh, always something new trivia and facts that still trickle out after all these years. That's a cool find man!

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Just one thing:

"Bionicle was cancelled in 2010 and ended on a cliffhanger with multiple story threads left unfinished"

Yes, there were some other stories left to be continued in the serials, but surely the basic story did end with Makuta/Teridax's destruction.

Except those threads were all part of a larger pucture that involved planet-wide conflict and inevitable civil war.

Yes, I’m still bitter.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 4

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Just one thing:

Except those threads were all part of a larger pucture that involved planet-wide conflict and inevitable civil war.

Yes, I’m still bitter.

I'm not saying there wasn't anything to happen at all after Makuta's destruction, just that that was the end of Bionicle's central plot and so the line didn't overall "end on a cliffhanger".

• Upvote 2

Just one thing:

Yes, I’m still bitter.

I'm not saying there wasn't anything to happen at all after Makuta's destruction, just that that was the end of Bionicle's central plot and so the line didn't overall "end on a cliffhanger".

And I’m saying it did.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Just one thing:

Yes, I’m still bitter.

And I’m saying it did.

Would you care to say why? What desperate situation was hanging in the balance after Journey's End?

The Bionicle story, right from 2001, was always about the threat from Makuta. That's why almost all the story media didn't continue past Makuta's destruction, and even the serials which were going to stopped only a little over a year after.

• Upvote 1

In all honesty, it's very doubtful the loose ends in the serials would ever have been resolved even if the serials continued longer than they did. Or rather, some things would've been resolved, but a dozen other plot threads would've been opened and left unfinished. Greg didn't plan anything ahead with the serials, and just kept going according to his whim. Contrary to what has been stated here, nothing was actually "hinted at", because Greg had no idea where he would take the stories he was writing. That inevitably makes any future "revelations" less impactful, since we would know them to be spur-of-the-moment decisions.

You're better off ignoring most of the serials.

• Upvote 2

I'm not contesting that, my point is that whatever story ideas he would've introduced, they would never have reached a conclusion. Sooner or later Greg would stop writing the serials, and then the story would be left in the middle of, for example, the civil war you mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I finished reading it and wow, that was a lot of stuff I just found out about. I never actually heard of the game until I heard TTV talk about it in one of their videos, but I didn’t give it much attention. Although, I didn’t realize how significant the game was to the early Bionicle lore! It’s also cool that you got in touch with one of the programmers for the game (I honestly feel sorry for Hunt, though. Being let go must’ve took a huge toll on him and his family). Thank you so much for writing this!

And to pretty much everyone on the thread arguing about Greg not completing the online serials and whether or not the storyline ended on a cliffhanger, my simple answer is; That’s the reason why fanfiction exists (GSR’s fanfics are my headcanon they are just so good).