Free the Band Videos

Tilius

I can point you to this one at least. I had no idea there even was a press conference video at the end of the campaign - I wonder if it's something that flew under most people's radars, might explain the lack of reference to it anywhere. 

We've got two versions of the Free the Band site on BMP, but neither have the vid unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

The only videos I remember are two TV commercials, the first reporting on the band’s disappearance, and the second where they all say “Thanks, Inika!”

...the whole campaign was just really weird. They were never referred to as “Toa” or “Toa Inika,” just “Inika,” and to top it all off, they didn’t even pronounce it right!

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

This doesn’t really help too much with the search for the video, but I actually talked with the band about it about seven years ago. They played a show in my hometown and I got a chance to hang out with them after the show.

Tyson wasn’t too interested in talking bonkles with me (there were a lot of attractive girls there and that seemed to be his priority), but I actually got a good little chat in with the guitarist Nick. He said that if the promotion had really earned him a loyal fan like me, then it was worth it. But he also said that overall, the promotion hadn’t seemed to have done them a lot of good, and they mostly regretted it.

So I guess it’s entirely possible that the band requested that those videos be taken down, as some kind of PR consideration.

• Upvote 3

The first Toa of Cereal

• 3 weeks later...

I assure you it was all too real. There was even a Nuparu guitar you could win. I found one on eBay later and asked for it for my birthday or something, but my dad, who knows a lot about guitars and even restores them on the side, said it was poor quality.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess we can bury the video alongside the music samples from bioniclemusic.com.

Which music samples? I remember a “music maker” minigame, but not samples.

Edit: I found another post by you on the subject. I assume you’re referring to the loops used in the Mixer program I mentioned. Were these samples only used there, and not ever again? (Perhaps we can get in touch with someone who worked on the site. I’m just not sure how to figure out who did).

Imagine trying to explain the whole Free The Band thing to some casual BIONICLE fan who had no idea what it was. Or the "The gang is on the loose" tagline.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

• 3 weeks later...

This just got me thinking, this isn’t the first time they used a famous person to promote the line. Anyone else remember circa 2002 when they did stuff with Andy Macdonald, the professional skateboarder? I think there was a BIONICLE skateboard released.

This just got me thinking, this isn’t the first time they used a famous person to promote the line. Anyone else remember circa 2002 when they did stuff with Andy Macdonald, the professional skateboarder? I think there was a BIONICLE skateboard released.

I think that was in the very first year when he skated with a Three Virtues logo on his board or something. I don't think it amounted to much.