Official My Little Pony topic

~Allegretto~

Did the delay have anything to do with Derpgate?

It's entirely possible - but remember, they've skipped weeks before, with no controversy as impetus to do so. I think there was a two-week break between Return of Harmony Part 2 and Lesson Zero ...

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

The only constant is change. =/Well, an animator for the show said the following:On the issue on Derpy whether she'll have the same Derp face expression and stuff. As an animator of the show, rest assured, she'll be fine.Watching the edited version of TLR, I can say that the change is not as grating as I feared. I shall miss the old Derpy, though. The new one lacks depth and emotion.

Why does everypony want a scootaloo episode?She's annoying. :P

Well, you can see a Scootaloo episode as a chance for her to become less annoying. ;)In other news, the Smile Song even makes non-bronies smile. :PNew episode info:

Title: Hurricane FluttershyAir Date: March 24, 2012Synopsis: Fluttershy needs to overcome her self consciousness in order to help Rainbow Dash and the other pegasi with the Rainy Season.

So... Derpy is dead? Sniff......grrrrrr that stupid brony! Why was that so offensive?!?!?!

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

The only constant is change. =/Well, an animator for the show said the following:On the issue on Derpy whether she'll have the same Derp face expression and stuff. As an animator of the show, rest assured, she'll be fine.Watching the edited version of TLR, I can say that the change is not as grating as I feared. I shall miss the old Derpy, though. The new one lacks depth and emotion.

Well, you can see a Scootaloo episode as a chance for her to become less annoying. ;)In other news, the Smile Song even makes non-bronies smile. :PNew episode info:

Title: Hurricane FluttershyAir Date: March 24, 2012Synopsis: Fluttershy needs to overcome her self consciousness in order to help Rainbow Dash and the other pegasi with the Rainy Season.

So... Derpy is dead? Sniff......grrrrrr that stupid brony! Why was that so offensive?!?!?!
Don't go blaming and insulting other bronies. Firstly, it's much more likely to be due to parent complaints than any one brony. Secondly, remember to love and tolerate. And above all, remember that until The Last Roundup Derpy was just a background pony. It doesn't seem like she's going anywhere; but her speaking role has been altered to omit her name and it's unlikely that she'll be named again. That doesn't mean the show is any less the one we know and love.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Don't go blaming and insulting other bronies. Firstly, it's much more likely to be due to parent complaints than any one brony. Secondly, remember to love and tolerate. And above all, remember that until The Last Roundup Derpy was just a background pony. It doesn't seem like she's going anywhere; but her speaking role has been altered to omit her name and it's unlikely that she'll be named again. That doesn't mean the show is any less the one we know and love.
It actually was some Bronies who complained. =PAnd he's not insulting them. He stating fact.

Well, I read some words in an outside forum that are practically, of wisdom. It's about love and tolerance:133015710992_2.pngWe can be upset about Derpy, and we can say it out loud. However, there is no need of bad words and rage, that apparently are coming out of some people there.We want to adress Hasbro, who are responsible for this change, with a calm head, so they figure that the rational part of the fandom is the one they should listen to.This Derpy thing is upsetting, but love and tolerance doesn't mean "accept everything bad that rains over you, shut up, and deal with it".

"cool dude"

Well, I read some words in an outside forum that are practically, of wisdom. It's about love and tolerance:133015710992_2.pngWe can be upset about Derpy, and we can say it out loud. However, there is no need of bad words and rage, that apparently are coming out of some people there.We want to adress Hasbro, who are responsible for this change, with a calm head, so they figure that the rational part of the fandom is the one they should listen to.This Derpy thing is upsetting, but love and tolerance doesn't mean "accept everything bad that rains over you, shut up, and deal with it".

Yeah, cuz you totally didn't freak out on Skype. :POh well, Derpy was good while she lasted. Guess she's Ditzy Doo now.

Yeah, cuz you totally didn't freak out on Skype. :POh well, Derpy was good while she lasted. Guess she's Ditzy Doo now.
Shh, you'll blow my cover. XPAnd well, the mention of Derpy made her official official, but she is still Derpy. The animators refer to her as such.

"cool dude"

Buh, I didn't find Derpy offensive in the least bit, not her name, not her voice, not her character, nothing.And she was censored for being 'offensive' to people who are mentally retarded... correct? Why start censoring these kinds of characters now? Ed from Ed Edd n' Eddy was clearly retarded, and he was a star character in his show. -_-(Yes I did just rip off that video on that unmentionable site)-Skar

Edited by Skarloth

@Skar: You're talking about Ed, not Edd (Edd was the smart one), and in actuality, Ed was not retarded, either.Though the point does stand that this whole situation is silly, FiM is aimed at a younger audience. I think Lychir is probably right, and it was parent reaction that caused the change.

AXKP5KC.png

Buh, I didn't find Derpy offensive in the least bit, not her name, not her voice, not her character, nothing.And she was censored for being 'offensive' to people who are mentally retarded... correct? Why start censoring these kinds of characters now? Edd from Ed Edd n' Eddy was clearly retarded, and he was a star character in his show. -_-(Yes I did just rip off that video on that unmentionable site)-Skar

Mentally retarded guys = OkayMentally retarded girls = Not okayshrugpony.pngAlso this "removing" can give the message that people like this can not be accepted and should be removed by media.If Hasbro told us that they were going to do this, the backlash could have not been this huge. I remember they said that "Derpy would not be changed" a week before. Edited by DerpLight

"cool dude"

What bothers me is that people didn't find these things offensive:ScrewlooseFluttershy seemingly snapping a bear's neck. Twilight in the Third Act of "Lesson Zero".Sweetie Belle interrupting a FUNERAL.There are much worse things than Derpy, and I'm not saying these aren't offensive or needing to be offended by anyone.

@Skar: You're talking about Ed, not Edd (Edd was the smart one), and in actuality, Ed was not retarded, either.Though the point does stand that this whole situation is silly, FiM is aimed at a younger audience. I think Lychir is probably right, and it was parent reaction that caused the change.

BUH, I knew I had it wrong. I knew it. ... then what do you call Ed? Just dull? Not the sharpest knife in the kitchen? 'Think'. Well, nobody knows what caused Hasbro to do this, not for sure, and they won't until we get some sort of official statement from Hasbro. And we're 100% sure it was Hasbro that did this, right? -Skar

BUH, I knew I had it wrong. I knew it.... then what do you call Ed? Just dull? Not the sharpest knife in the kitchen?'Think'. Well, nobody knows what caused Hasbro to do this, not for sure, and they won't until we get some sort of official statement from Hasbro.And we're 100% sure it was Hasbro that did this, right?-Skar
Yes, Sabrina Alberghetti (the storyboard artist) confirmed it was Hasbro. Edited by DerpLight

"cool dude"

It actually was some Bronies who complained. =PAnd he's not insulting them. He stating fact.
They clearly said "that stupid brony". That's not a particularly bad insult, but it's still an insult, and in light of the amount of hate said bronies are getting lately I think we should all pay attention to what we say lest we lose the positivity that makes this fandom so awesome.

I'm pretty sure that one of the FiM staff said it had nothing to do with them anyway; they were just expressing their opinion, and there's no need to go persecuting them over it. Something like that anyway.

Yup, got that quote in my blog. :PSo far, no one at Hasbro etc. has released a reason for the edit. It's all just speculation at this point.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

They clearly said "that stupid brony". That's not a particularly bad insult, but it's still an insult, and in light of the amount of hate said bronies are getting lately I think we should all pay attention to what we say lest we lose the positivity that makes this fandom so awesome.
So bout rage thing. But he was being stupid yes and we should stay calm and continue to sprees derpiness everywhere!!! Me and my friend are working on saving Derpy not with rage but with awesomeness, so let's always remember Derpy on Derpy day thursday!

What bothers me is that people didn't find these things offensive:ScrewlooseFluttershy seemingly snapping a bear's neck. Twilight in the Third Act of "Lesson Zero".Sweetie Belle interrupting a FUNERAL.There are much worse things than Derpy, and I'm not saying these aren't offensive or needing to be offended by anyone.

What episode did sweetie belle do that? Anywho, the first three are comedic, not "insulting" because it's the reverse an numerous side of something. And the funeral thing is used a lot in adult movies and cartoons.

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

So bout rage thing. But he was being stupid yes and we should stay calm and continue to sprees derpiness everywhere!!! Me and my friend are working on saving Derpy not with rage but with awesomeness, so let's always remember Derpy on Derpy day thursday!

What bothers me is that people didn't find these things offensive:ScrewlooseFluttershy seemingly snapping a bear's neck.Twilight in the Third Act of "Lesson Zero".Sweetie Belle interrupting a FUNERAL.There are much worse things than Derpy, and I'm not saying these aren't offensive or needing to be offended by anyone.

What episode did sweetie belle do that? Anywho, the first three are comedic, not "insulting" because it's the reverse an numerous side of something. And the funeral thing is used a lot in adult movies and cartoons.
Hearts and Hooves, during the song.

In general I think the controversy over Derpy being changed is a bit overblown, based on what we've heard. Granted, the controversy that caused the change was also a bit overblown, but it's not as though the thoughts behind the gesture of giving Derpy a name and speaking role in the first place went away. The writers and animators still love the brony community and Derpy. Meanwhile, her clumsiness, one of her principal character traits, was maintained in full.The voice she was given and her being mentioned by name weren't universally accepted by bronies anyway, whether or not they were offended. I certainly liked both the voice and the naming, and haven't heard the redubbed version of the episode, but it doesn't sound like a travesty at all. Derpy still has a scripted speaking role, more than she ever had before the episode first aired, and I see no reason to think she will not continue to play a role in the future.

What bothers me is that people didn't find these things offensive:ScrewlooseFluttershy seemingly snapping a bear's neck.Twilight in the Third Act of "Lesson Zero".Sweetie Belle interrupting a FUNERAL.There are much worse things than Derpy, and I'm not saying these aren't offensive or needing to be offended by anyone.

Hearts and Hooves, during the song.
That 'twas a funeral? Looked more like a speech

BUH, I knew I had it wrong. I knew it.... then what do you call Ed? Just dull? Not the sharpest knife in the kitchen?'Think'. Well, nobody knows what caused Hasbro to do this, not for sure, and they won't until we get some sort of official statement from Hasbro.And we're 100% sure it was Hasbro that did this, right?-Skar
Yes, that is exactly what I would call him. At the beginning of the show, Ed was not nearly as dumb or destructive as he was portrayed in later seasons. He was slow, and definitely not the smartest, but not full-blown dumbfest spectacular as he was later. (The first half of the third episode, Sir-Ed-A-Lot, better illustrates this.) He was not retarded.In any case, the point is moot. EEnE was a surreal and inherently immoral Cartoon Network series aimed at boys, and included a whole lot of other saucy content, while MLP: FiM is an early morning little girls' series about pretty ponies and friendship, so the comparison is fruitless, and would be even if it applied. And that's saying nothing of the fact that the censors for cartoons are all over the place nowadays, when compared to the past two decades. But yeah, ultimately, it all comes down to what we hear from Hasbro, sooner or later.

AXKP5KC.png

Yes, that is exactly what I would call him. At the beginning of the show, Ed was not nearly as dumb or destructive as he was portrayed in later seasons. He was slow, and definitely not the smartest, but not full-blown dumbfest spectacular as he was later. (The first half of the third episode, Sir-Ed-A-Lot, better illustrates this.) He was not retarded.In any case, the point is moot. EEnE was a surreal and inherently immoral Cartoon Network series aimed at boys, and included a whole lot of other saucy content, while MLP: FiM is an early morning little girls' series about pretty ponies and friendship, so the comparison is fruitless, and would be even if it applied. And that's saying nothing of the fact that the censors for cartoons are all over the place nowadays, when compared to the past two decades.But yeah, ultimately, it all comes down to what we hear from Hasbro, sooner or later.
We could compare it to Patrick Star.So, who saw the new McPonies display? T'was amazing. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png

Yes, that is exactly what I would call him. At the beginning of the show, Ed was not nearly as dumb or destructive as he was portrayed in later seasons. He was slow, and definitely not the smartest, but not full-blown dumbfest spectacular as he was later. (The first half of the third episode, Sir-Ed-A-Lot, better illustrates this.) He was not retarded.In any case, the point is moot. EEnE was a surreal and inherently immoral Cartoon Network series aimed at boys, and included a whole lot of other saucy content, while MLP: FiM is an early morning little girls' series about pretty ponies and friendship, so the comparison is fruitless, and would be even if it applied. And that's saying nothing of the fact that the censors for cartoons are all over the place nowadays, when compared to the past two decades.But yeah, ultimately, it all comes down to what we hear from Hasbro, sooner or later.
We could compare it to Patrick Star.So, who saw the new McPonies display? T'was amazing. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png
Or Snails. Everybody seems to forget about Snails.

G A Y   A S   H E C K

That 'twas a funeral? Looked more like a speech

There's a casket.
I never saw it

Off-topic from the main discussion here, but ... notice how the old pony at the funeral has a pipe with bubbles as a cutie mark? Anyone else think that's a possible reference to the popcorn-producing pipe for the Season One farmer pony that was shot down by higher-ups?

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Or Snails. Everybody seems to forget about Snails.
Snails freaks me out. :PMaybe it's a reference to cancer? D=(No, I'm not serious)

Am I the only one who doesn't understand why Derpgate produced the gigantic brouhaha that it did? :huh:The edits weren't that severe, and I'm sure that the original voice and animation will continue to exist on the internet in some form. And even if they could erase that scene from all media somehow, Derpy would simply go back to what she was before "The Last Roundup": a fan-favorite character with "where's waldo" type appearances. Most of the content featuring her was fanmade, anyway, and Hasbro doesn't have any control over that. :shrugs:

Edited by Keizah the Kaleidoscope

steven-giantwoman-b.gif

[æzɚæθ mɛtriɔn zɪnθos]

Among all the Derpy talk, I decided to whip this up:derpy.jpgWhat do ya think of my Pony art-style?Kalhiki

Edited by kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

(that's sarcasm, by the way)

Among all the Derpy talk, I decided to whip this up:derpy.jpgWhat do ya think of my Pony art-style?Kalhiki

omg so awesum <3<3<3<3

Off-topic from the main discussion here, but ... notice how the old pony at the funeral has a pipe with bubbles as a cutie mark? Anyone else think that's a possible reference to the popcorn-producing pipe for the Season One farmer pony that was shot down by higher-ups?

Huh? Edited by DerpLight

"cool dude"

I've decided to take a moot point to the whole Derpy thing. I'm still not sure if it was a Hasbro or an iTunes mandate that the episode was changed, and until they come out with an official statement, we won't know for sure. As long as Derpy is still in the show as a background pony/ where's waldo pony, I'm content. Though I do feel Hasbro missed a chance to have a valuable lesson on differences with Derpy as she was, it's their company and they run it as they see fit. Also, Kalhiki, love the Derpy picture.

Scootaloo,

the greatest chicken/dodo/scooter riding Pegasus ever

I've decided to take a moot point to the whole Derpy thing. I'm still not sure if it was a Hasbro or an iTunes mandate that the episode was changed, and until they come out with an official statement, we won't know for sure. As long as Derpy is still in the show as a background pony/ where's waldo pony, I'm content. Though I do feel Hasbro missed a chance to have a valuable lesson on differences with Derpy as she was, it's their company and they run it as they see fit.

Me tooAlso, Kalhiki, I'm gonna be Applejack here, it's not bad...

I'll be perfectly honest: I am glad Derpy's voice was changed.Her true/original voice just... isn't right for a kids show. Often when I visit a big shopping centre, I see someone in a wheelchair with contorted features who is clearly 'differently abled'. Sometimes you can't help overhear when they talk and... it's disturbling similar to how Derpy talked.Sounding differenty abled, acting differently abled, looking differently abled and basically being shown as nothing but a liability on those around her (she pretty much destroyed a whole building when allowed to do as she pleased) really adds up to some really weird messages. When I saw the episode I legitimatly changed my opinion from Derpy is clumsy to Derpy isn't right in the head.I like Derpy, she's unique but I totally understand why people felt insulted... her portrayl was too close to my experiance of an actual "differently abled" person. Her new voice I like, it suceeds in making her seem... well, normal. It wasn't their intention to make her "like that" but the voice just crossed the line between clumsy and having a condition. My view; I hope they keep the new voice and just stress Derpy's a klutzy girl with googly eyes... and she's a girl, right... she should really sound more like one =/

Edited by Transairion

breakdown_signature.jpg

The light becomes the dark...

I'll be perfectly honest: I am glad Derpy's voice was changed.Her true/original voice just... isn't right for a kids show. Often when I visit a big shopping centre, I see someone in a wheelchair with contorted features who is clearly 'differently abled'. Sometimes you can't help overhear when they talk and... it's disturbling similar to how Derpy talked.Sounding differenty abled, acting differently abled, looking differently abled and basically being shown as nothing but a liability on those around her (she pretty much destroyed a whole building when allowed to do as she pleased) really adds up to some really weird messages. When I saw the episode I legitimatly changed my opinion from Derpy is clumsy to Derpy isn't right in the head.I like Derpy, she's unique but I totally understand why people felt insulted... her portrayl was too close to my experiance of an actual "differently abled" person. Her new voice I like, it suceeds in making her seem... well, normal. It wasn't their intention to make her "like that" but the voice just crossed the line between clumsy and having a condition. My view; I hope they keep the new voice and just stress Derpy's a klutzy girl with googly eyes... and she's a girl, right... she should really sound more like one =/

That's a fair point, but honestly I wasn't all that offended by her voice. I went to a college for students with disabilities, and many of the students there were altogether willing to make jokes about their own differences.That said, there's a huge difference between college-age kids in a safe environment and the target audience of My Little Pony. And frankly, it didn't help that Rainbow Dash didn't show any patience for Derpy's difficulties. Mind, if Rainbow had done so it would be fairly out of character for her, but they could've at least had a pony like Fluttershy there as well to call out Rainbow and show Derpy a little more genuine kindness.