Official My Little Pony topic

~Allegretto~

Does anyone here by any chance play Halo Custom Edition or Halo PC? I've been trying to meet with some bronies to play with for a while now.

Attention: Due to some confusion regarding my name, it is meant to be read as d-h-i-k. However, I will not adjust my user name, unless the mods ask me to, because it most likely would be extremely annoying for everyone who had to type it.

• 3 weeks later...

Right - I want out; I'm done. Hasbro has failed me for the last time!

JanAnimation's Cease and Desist, right? From what I can tell, the legal department did this without consulting any other part of the company, so I say let's see how this plays out.

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

I'm pretty sure hasbro isn't stupid enough to Cease and Desist JanAnimation.

Unfortunately you underestimated their stupidity

Real shame, honestly can't understand it. I get why they'd C&D Fighting is Magic, as it hurt their brand's image. But Jan's videos were perfectly respectful and high quality; it was just free advertising. I suspect it's the result of a rogue legal department, perhaps tipped off by a troll. I've heard it's being looked into by Mike Vogel (a Hasbro dude), so we'll wait and see.

Could be because Jan's visual style was waaaay too close to MLP's offical show style.

It's not ideal, but it was expected, to be honest.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Hola fellow bronies. I'm an old member of the site from back in 2005 but stopped for years.I'm back! Just wantign to see how this community of bronies here is.

jtbspinny.gif <thanks to Keratu for the spinny.
darkcomixbanner.jpg< my favorite comic writer. thanks to - vahki commander - for the banner.

I'm back from the grave. Last time I was on was in 2005. I'm back now and hoping to return to the first fandom community I invested myself in.

Real shame, honestly can't understand it. I get why they'd C&D Fighting is Magic, as it hurt their brand's image. But Jan's videos were perfectly respectful and high quality; it was just free advertising. I suspect it's the result of a rogue legal department, perhaps tipped off by a troll. I've heard it's being looked into by Mike Vogel (a Hasbro dude), so we'll wait and see.

Let's hope they back off the community. There is alot of things they used from us, why can't we use their things. I WANT NICE THINGS TOO.

~UntitledModel_9.png.a8adc254dbd8da1586473030e7c7d30e.png~

Let's hope they back off the community. There is alot of things they used from us, why can't we use their things. I WANT NICE THINGS TOO.

Because we make money of it and that's not good for Hasbro.

All they want is cash-money.

Looks like it's the end of the line for 21.

That's not how this kind of thing works at all, frankly. They own the characters, they own the franchise, they own everything. Nothing we fans created is purely "ours" as long as it uses the characters and universe that Hasbro owns. To use a metaphor, it's their sandbox.

Most of the time, they let us play in their sandbox as much as we like. But sometimes we create things so close to their own work, that it can get mistaken for something they make. You've probably witnessed this exact problem if you have seen photos where people refer to Mega Bloks, Playmobil, Kre-O, or anything like that as "Lego". It's NOT, but it's close enough for people to get confused, and that's a problem for the actual LEGO company because it means that people will blame THEM if they have a problem with a product that is outside their control.

The same is true of "Fighting is Magic", or certain fan-created plushies, or many of JanAnimations' projects. These things are so high-quality that they could easily be mistaken for officially-licensed Hasbro projects from a quick glance. The only way Hasbro can actually control these projects without buying them out is to shut them down.

Furthermore, the way U.S. trademark law is written, Hasbro needs to control unlicensed use of their trademarks or they forfeit their rights to them. After all, you can't really tell a competing company that they need official permission to use your characters in merchandise and media if hundreds of other entities are using those characters in merchandise and media without official permission. It sucks, but that's the way it works.

If Hasbro could let these high-quality fan creations exist without losing the ability to enforce their trademarks, they probably would. After all, as the old aphorism says, "all publicity is good publicity". It's a bit of an oversimplification (Hasbro doesn't benefit from My Little Pony fanworks that most of their audience considers offensive), but for the most part, the franchise becomes stronger and more well-known if fans are spreading the word about it in any way. That's one reason why Hasbro has been remarkably laissez-faire about the things bronies create. Of all the thousands of things bronies have created, Hasbro has only shut down a small handful of them that are a bit too close to the things they create officially.

Hasbro doesn't have to let us play in their sandbox at all, but they do. They just reserve the right to knock down the things we build if they pose a threat to Hasbro's own creations. It's unfortunate when that happens, but that's the peril of playing in a sandbox you don't own.

• Upvote 1

That's not how this kind of thing works at all, frankly. They own the characters, they own the franchise, they own everything. Nothing we fans created is purely "ours" as long as it uses the characters and universe that Hasbro owns. To use a metaphor, it's their sandbox.

Most of the time, they let us play in their sandbox as much as we like. But sometimes we create things so close to their own work, that it can get mistaken for something they make. You've probably witnessed this exact problem if you have seen photos where people refer to Mega Bloks, Playmobil, Kre-O, or anything like that as "Lego". It's NOT, but it's close enough for people to get confused, and that's a problem for the actual LEGO company because it means that people will blame THEM if they have a problem with a product that is outside their control.

The same is true of "Fighting is Magic", or certain fan-created plushies, or many of JanAnimations' projects. These things are so high-quality that they could easily be mistaken for officially-licensed Hasbro projects from a quick glance. The only way Hasbro can actually control these projects without buying them out is to shut them down.

Furthermore, the way U.S. trademark law is written, Hasbro needs to control unlicensed use of their trademarks or they forfeit their rights to them. After all, you can't really tell a competing company that they need official permission to use your characters in merchandise and media if hundreds of other entities are using those characters in merchandise and media without official permission. It sucks, but that's the way it works.

If Hasbro could let these high-quality fan creations exist without losing the ability to enforce their trademarks, they probably would. After all, as the old aphorism says, "all publicity is good publicity". It's a bit of an oversimplification (Hasbro doesn't benefit from My Little Pony fanworks that most of their audience considers offensive), but for the most part, the franchise becomes stronger and more well-known if fans are spreading the word about it in any way. That's one reason why Hasbro has been remarkably laissez-faire about the things bronies create. Of all the thousands of things bronies have created, Hasbro has only shut down a small handful of them that are a bit too close to the things they create officially.

Hasbro doesn't have to let us play in their sandbox at all, but they do. They just reserve the right to knock down the things we build if they pose a threat to Hasbro's own creations. It's unfortunate when that happens, but that's the peril of playing in a sandbox you don't own.

Well then. :I

I think this guy makes sense. Hasbro owns the sandbox. They have all the cards. it's like we're borrowing the chips, and using them up. (not eating chips, card chips)

When we use what's theirs, we can't claim it as our own.

Equestria Girls short number two of eight is up! This one is written by Amy Keating Rogers and features Rainbow Dash and the Great and Powerful Trixie!

I can't help but notice that Twilight Sparkle's not with the rest of the Mane Six in this video. I'm still curious how the next film will integrate her. The first movie went out of its way to establish that the magic portal will not be open again for a long time. It seemed to hint at one point that there is a Twilight Sparkle native to the Equestria Girls universe, so she could be integrated that way... but introducing her that way could be tricky, since the others will be strangers to her, but she won't really be a stranger to them. Not to mention that she wasn't there for the whole elements of harmony magical girl transformation sequence, so that could complicate things.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that the writers had an explanation ready when they wrote the first movie. After all, they knew this would be launching a toy line and that there would be more Equestria Girls to come if the movie and the toy line were both successful. But it's still going to be interesting to see exactly how they pull it off.

Equestria Girls short number two of eight is up! This one is written by Amy Keating Rogers and features Rainbow Dash and the Great and Powerful Trixie!

I can't help but notice that Twilight Sparkle's not with the rest of the Mane Six in this video. I'm still curious how the next film will integrate her. The first movie went out of its way to establish that the magic portal will not be open again for a long time. It seemed to hint at one point that there is a Twilight Sparkle native to the Equestria Girls universe, so she could be integrated that way... but introducing her that way could be tricky, since the others will be strangers to her, but she won't really be a stranger to them. Not to mention that she wasn't there for the whole elements of harmony magical girl transformation sequence, so that could complicate things.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that the writers had an explanation ready when they wrote the first movie. After all, they knew this would be launching a toy line and that there would be more Equestria Girls to come if the movie and the toy line were both successful. But it's still going to be interesting to see exactly how they pull it off.

Huh! It seems actually REALLY AWESOME! I like it! I didn't expect it to be all that, I even almost scrolled over it! Glad I didn't! :D

Getting back to the show, the 2 part season finale is revealed.

Twilight's Kingdom - Part 1

Air Date: May 10th

Synopsis: Princess Celestia chooses Discord over Princess Twilight to help track down a villain.

Twilight's Kingdom - Part 2

Synopsis: The other princesses transfer all of their magical power to Twilight in hopes of saving Equestria.

Enjoy.

Getting back to the show, the 2 part season finale is revealed.

Twilight's Kingdom - Part 1

Synopsis: Princess Celestia chooses Discord over Princess Twilight to help track down a villain.

Twilight's Kingdom - Part 2

Synopsis: The other princesses transfer all of their magical power to Twilight in hopes of saving Equestria.

Enjoy.

Ooooh! how splendid, let's rainbowfy.

I can't help but notice that Twilight Sparkle's not with the rest of the Mane Six in this video. I'm still curious how the next film will integrate her.

Simple: they won't.

Nonsense. Some form of Twilight Sparkle is a major character in the toys and has already appeared in trailers for the movie. So we know for sure that she'll be appearing.

I can't help but notice that Twilight Sparkle's not with the rest of the Mane Six in this video. I'm still curious how the next film will integrate her.

Nonsense. Some form of Twilight Sparkle is a major character in the toys and has already appeared in trailers for the movie. So we know for sure that she'll be appearing.

So how will she appear? As the mirror's Twlight or Pony Twlight? Because I'm pretty sure that the mirror only works on every 30 moons or something like that. I have 5 short theories on that.

1. They wait.

2. It's a (day)dream.

3. It's a different Twlight.

4. They force it with magic.

5. No good reason, it just works.

So how will she appear? As the mirror's Twlight or Pony Twlight? Because I'm pretty sure that the mirror only works on every 30 moons or something like that. I have 5 short theories on that.

1. They wait.

2. It's a (day)dream.

This is what I'm waiting to see. If it's the mirror world's Twilight, then what needs to be explained is how she becomes a part of the group. That seems like it'd be the best strategic decision if this is going to remain an ongoing franchise, since otherwise each and every major Equestria Girls story would have to be in the form of a Friendship is Magic crossover.

If it's the pony Twilight, then it would require coming up with a new way for her to enter the Equestria Girls universe. Unlikely, in my opinion, because if the writers wanted to continue using the pony Twilight in future Equestria Girls adventures, they could have set up a reliable mechanism for doing so in the first movie instead of closing off the only established gateway between the two universes.

Naturally, some fantasy franchises DO create a new means of traveling between universes in each and every adventure. The Oz books or the Chronicles of Narnia are good examples. The characters pretty much never travel between universes the same way twice. But I dunno... for some reason, it just seems a lot less likely to me that a merchandise-driven franchise would do this.

1. They wait.

2. It's a (day)dream.

This is what I'm waiting to see. If it's the mirror world's Twilight, then what needs to be explained is how she becomes a part of the group. That seems like it'd be the best strategic decision if this is going to remain an ongoing franchise, since otherwise each and every major Equestria Girls story would have to be in the form of a Friendship is Magic crossover.

If it's the pony Twilight, then it would require coming up with a new way for her to enter the Equestria Girls universe. Unlikely, in my opinion, because if the writers wanted to continue using the pony Twilight in future Equestria Girls adventures, they could have set up a reliable mechanism for doing so in the first movie instead of closing off the only established gateway between the two universes.

Naturally, some fantasy franchises DO create a new means of traveling between universes in each and every adventure. The Oz books or the Chronicles of Narnia are good examples. The characters pretty much never travel between universes the same way twice. But I dunno... for some reason, it just seems a lot less likely to me that a merchandise-driven franchise would do this.

I personally think the twilight in equestrian city moves into the school, meeting new friends and having daily adventures. :3

Crazy thought—what if in the new Equestria Girls movie, human Twilight moves to town... and gets recruited into the "bad guy" group? Would make for an interesting story, I think, with the rest of the human Mane Six knowing she's supposed to be their friend and having to show her that her new "friends" really aren't the kind of friends she should be making.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Plot twist: the Time limit was a lie so ponies won't be going in all the time and disrupting the balance.

Kinda cheesy but that's all I can come up with.

If it was a lie, revealing that this soon would make it kind of pointless.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I feel like it's obvious they'll use the Twilight from the human dimension. From the way Flash Sentry has been (mostly) ignored in the TV series, and the writer's claim that EG won't influence the actual show, I don't think Hasbro plans to integrate the two worlds further. Which is probably best for everybody. Even among the bronies who liked it, I've never heard of any who thought it matched the show's quality. I think Pinkie's line about Twilight's twin was a safeguard in case the movie wasn't as popular as Hasbro hoped so they could keep them disconnected henceforth.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I feel like it's obvious they'll use the Twilight from the human dimension. From the way Flash Sentry has been (mostly) ignored in the TV series, and the writer's claim that EG won't influence the actual show, I don't think Hasbro plans to integrate the two worlds further. Which is probably best for everybody. Even among the bronies who liked it, I've never heard of any who thought it matched the show's quality. I think Pinkie's line about Twilight's twin was a safeguard in case the movie wasn't as popular as Hasbro hoped so they could keep them disconnected henceforth.

I thought it matched the show's quality. Not as good as the best episodes maybe, but better than the worst episodes.

And if it hadn't been so successful, that'd be MORE reason to keep the universes connected in future Equestria Girls stories, not less. Nothing boosts the reputation of a struggling franchise quite like ties to an already proven franchise. That's part of the reason for "the Wolverine effect" in comics. After Wolverine became wildly popular, Marvel started putting him on the cover of as many comics as they could in order to draw more attention to their less popular characters and storylines. Meanwhile, if the movie were wildly successful, future installments wouldn't need to use FiM as a crutch.

But I agree that it's best if Equestria Girls starts to express a modicum of independence. And introducing its own Twilight Sparkle would be a great start.

Crazy thought—what if in the new Equestria Girls movie, human Twilight moves to town... and gets recruited into the "bad guy" group? Would make for an interesting story, I think, with the rest of the human Mane Six knowing she's supposed to be their friend and having to show her that her new "friends" really aren't the kind of friends she should be making.

Dat wud be Kewl. LOGANTO APPROVAL.

I got a Blind Bag today. It was awesome. I went online to make sure I got the one with Fluttershy's code, and it was her. I'm trying to convert another friend to the fandom. He seems open.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!