Official My Little Pony topic

~Allegretto~

Wow, I'm watching the episode right now, and I have to say that the first magic duel was really impressive. My favorite part was that it reused elements from the first season: Twilight had a Parasprite summon and she reprised the facial hair-growth spell from "Boast Busters".

Also, the reference to Trixie working at a rock farm and Pinkie speaking up in defense rock farming was absolutely brilliant. :D

EDIT: Wait a second....did Twilight just create a portal through the fourth wall? :o WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?

Edited by Keizah the Kaleidoscope

steven-giantwoman-b.gif

[æzɚæθ mɛtriɔn zɪnθos]

Much enjoyment was had during this episode.

Male!Applejack aka painted Big Macintosh had me in stitches.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Wow, that was a very GREAT AND POWERFUL episode, but it totally didn't match any of the possible scenarios I was expecting.

Twilight taking Zecora as a mentor was a great plot element. I recall Lauren Faust mentioning that she was intended to play a mentor role to the Mane Six back when the series was imagined with more adventure-driven episodes and fewer slice-of-life episodes, but that had never really been utilized until now.Trixie's characterization was mostly good, but it felt a bit jarring at times. For starters, she was no longer speaking in the third person or using her dramatic stage voice, which made her sound VERY different on average. But additionally, I'm not sure her "corruption" was really portrayed in such a way as to seem gradual. She acted pretty consistently mean up until the very end of the episode. And then when she sought Twilight's forgiveness, her change in characterization seemed totally abrupt. I think if the camera had focused on her looking thoughtful at some point after her defeat, it would have been a lot easier to understand her "redemption". On a side note, when she mentioned that she "didn't trust wheels", it sounded less like she was simply becoming cruel and more like she was literally descending into madness. It would have been neat if that had been followed up on in the final magical duel.Twilight Sparkle's method of defeating Trixie was innovative. While a simple deception might not have been a particularly good lesson on its own, the fact that she depended on her friends for this made it an epic way of "leading by example" and showing Trixie that not all magic was just about raw ability. Again, it would have been excellent if we had seen Trixie meditating on this lesson a bit before asking for Twilight's forgiveness, to really drive the point home that it was Twilight's friendship lesson, not just the memories of that awful amulet, that motivated her to seek redemption.Lots of callbacks in this episode-- the mustache spell, the parasprite, Trixie (of course), and even Spike referencing Winter Wrap Up. I wonder if this is going to become a trend. It would make sense to start making more callbacks this season, since it seems that so many characters are reaching new stages of development and it is important to recall the steps they took to get there.Also, the term "alicorn" was made canon in this episode. Who'd've thunk?

Alicorn was a word to describe a wings unicorn, not a word the fanon made up, so I don't see why it being used as canon would be a surprise.

Mainly because we'd seen "Pegacorn" used in an episode script's decription of Queen Chrysalis, and "Unicorn Pegasus" used in some other media. Also, "alicorn" used to refer to winged unicorns is a bit of a neologism-- traditionally, it refers to a unicorn horn or the material of which unicorns' horns are made. Which isn't to say the writers should really care whether the meaning they assign to it is "traditional". But I can easily imagine that they were using "pegacorn" or "unicorn pegasus" internally and just decided to use "alicorn" based on fan approval of that term, much like how they used the name Derpy rather than Ditzy Doo in "The Last Roundup".

Alicorn was a word to describe a wings unicorn, not a word the fanon made up, so I don't see why it being used as canon would be a surprise.

Mainly because we'd seen "Pegacorn" used in an episode script's decription of Queen Chrysalis, and "Unicorn Pegasus" used in some other media. Also, "alicorn" used to refer to winged unicorns is a bit of a neologism-- traditionally, it refers to a unicorn horn or the material of which unicorns' horns are made. Which isn't to say the writers should really care whether the meaning they assign to it is "traditional". But I can easily imagine that they were using "pegacorn" or "unicorn pegasus" internally and just decided to use "alicorn" based on fan approval of that term, much like how they used the name Derpy rather than Ditzy Doo in "The Last Roundup".

Additionally, since it was only seen used to increase magical ability in unicorns, it could very well refer to the traditional meaning of alicorn and not the newer meaning adopted by the fans. For that matter, that brings up some Fridge Horror: What if the amulet is actually crafted from a unicorn horn? That would certainly fall in line with its known dark attributes.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Yum, corn made from a pegasus.

I think I know what fanfic I'm gonna be writing now... kidding... or am I?

Additionally, since it was only seen used to increase magical ability in unicorns, it could very well refer to the traditional meaning of alicorn and not the newer meaning adopted by the fans. For that matter, that brings up some Fridge Horror: What if the amulet is actually crafted from a unicorn horn? That would certainly fall in line with its known dark attributes.

...That's a little more of a disturbing thing, than I'd like in MLP. D:

I liked this week's episode, though I was technically right to an extent when I said that [spoiler, highlight to see] Trixie's actions were being controlled by the necklace, in a sense.

For another brony thing, there is a group (with an account on both facebook and that certain video site) called FOB Equestria. They are bronies who are also in the Military, they do a lot of stuff, but what I like so far are the militarized images of ponies that they make, their website is http://www.fobequestria.com/]here.[/url]

Oh and here is their Mission, right from their website.

Our Mission
MILITARY BRONIES
HEADQUARTERS EQUESTRIA
FORWARD OPERATING BASE EQUESTRIA
FOBEQMS 1.0.1
06 July 2012
Greetings bronies and non-bronies,
We are FOB Equestria, a website of active and non-active armed forces personnel gathered together from all over the world under a single banner. We are members of the military, and we love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Seems contradictory doesn’t it?
We do not believe so.
Our mission as military bronies is to help stop the stigma that My Little Pony is for little girls and that it’s wrong for anyone outside this demographic to enjoy the show. This is a show about values, good values, that every person young and old should know and adhere by.
Bronies are not detrimental to society and we are not antisocial basement dwellers. Just look at us. We can march for 12 miles with 90 pounds on our backs. We can kill a man from 500 yards away. We can tell you the difference between a 5,56 mm NATO round and a 12,7 mm AP round. We can take apart aircraft engines and put them back together again. We drive things that are bigger than your house. We can still perform our jobs adequately, and being a fan of this show changes nothing. If anything, it makes our lives better and makes us forget the hardships we sometimes have to face.
The military has many ideals in common with the Elements of Harmony. Traits like Honesty, Loyalty, and basic comradery are paramount values to the common soldier. These traits promote strong displays of comradery between very different personalities. In the military, you get people from all over the country, even from all over the world, together. People of differing backgrounds, ancestry, beliefs, personalities, and these people suddenly have to work together towards a common goal. We see the same sort of comradery displayed in the show, and that’s part of the reason we love it so much.
We’re also sure a lot of you military bronies can feel pretty lonely out there. During BronyCon 2012, 50+ military bronies gathered together and shared their life experiences with each other over an excellent lunch provided by the BronyCon Documentary. This let us know that we were not alone. Our mission with this website is to gather all military bronies and to let them know that they too have someone to share their experiences and feelings with. And someone that has your back when you get picked on.
We are also here to stop a growing trend in perception of the military. Most people see the common military member as a heartless, insensitive, screaming lunatic firing weapons off in random directions and killing everyone who doesn’t agree with them. The military is more than that. We have feelings, emotions, hopes, dreams, and families we love and cherish. Some of us even watch a show called My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Laughter in our comradery and overcoming our hardships together.Kindness to our allies and non-combatants and mercy to our enemies.Generosity in dealing with the less fortunate, sacrificing ourselves for others.Honesty and integrity in our actions bringing honor to us all.Loyalty to our country and fellow soldier.The Magic of Friendship that unites us all.SEMPER FILLY MY BRONIES

-Commander Firebrand

I would suggest reading it, it's quite touching. Their website/accounts are pretty nice too and I recommend those as well.

In other stuff, anyone who has Google Chrome, they do have MLP themes that you can use to customize it. I bring this up because I don't recall anyone bringing it up here, but I would think most characters have at least one, I have a Luna one for instance and it is really nice.

2qtjy8j.jpg

Just in case any of this is of interest to anyone here anyway.

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

Great episode. I still like to think there's some connection between the Alicorn Amulet and Sombra. In any case, I'd like the Amulet to be featured again (maybe in a prequel episode about how that shopkeeper got it).

I've always thought Trixie was a bit overrated. Still, it was nice to have her return. Seeing her descend into madness was fun.

This episode has also reinforced my love for Fluttershy (we even get a Flutterrage moment!).

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Interestingly enough the person who made the image of Luna in that theme goes by the name "Karzahnii", I wonder if he/she ever goes here.

If anyone wants the background image by itself, the link is in the info page for the theme itself, if you do not have chrome and still want it, http://oi48.tinypic.com/11cgsbd.jpg]here it is.[/url]

Edited by Samhain

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

Oh yeah, he's an artist. I don't think he goes here, but he did confirm his name was from Bionicle.

Quite surprising how many BIONICLE artists have gone on to become prominent pony artists... I wonder if it's because of MLP:FiM beginning shortly after BIONICLE ended, or the similarities in the stories for each of them, or just a complete coincidence (since I'm sure a lot of other fandoms can likewise claim to have artists who went on to become pony artists-- pony is just that ubiquitous here on the Internet).

In other stuff, anyone who has Google Chrome, they do have MLP themes that you can use to customize it.

I think I had a Luna one a year ago before my old laptop died. Since then I forgot they even did themes for Google Chrome. I probably ought to check them out. I know they do themes for other websites as a rather obsessed friend of mine got one for that social networking site which centres around individual characters and changes stuff like "like" to "brohoof". Needless to say, I passed.

As for the episode...Actually, I really enjoyed it. Not that I doubted I would but the quality of the writing was actually a lot better than I'd have expected. It was a pretty interesting story and the jokes were pretty funny. I'm not one to fear that the fanbase is influencing the episodes, though I do wonder if there were one too many callbacks. I've nothing against continuity but the usage of a parasprite made my jaw drop in surprise.

Oh, and now Twilight's confirmed that a spell exists to change the gender of a pony. Fear for the fanbase, everyone. Fear for the OC it will be creating now.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

As for the episode...Actually, I really enjoyed it. Not that I doubted I would but the quality of the writing was actually a lot better than I'd have expected. It was a pretty interesting story and the jokes were pretty funny. I'm not one to fear that the fanbase is influencing the episodes, though I do wonder if there were one too many callbacks. I've nothing against continuity but the usage of a parasprite made my jaw drop in surprise.

Oh, and now Twilight's confirmed that a spell exists to change the gender of a pony. Fear for the fanbase, everyone. Fear for the OC it will be creating now.

I'm not sure the gender change spell does exist. After all, if it existed, there would be a risk of Trixie copying it with her amulet-boosted magic. Twilight would know she'd be more likely to win by using "spells" she knew Trixie couldn't reproduce if she tried.

Of course, the fandom's certainly going to interpret it as existing. Heck, they've been operating under the assumption that it could exist for some time now. And frankly, I don't really mind that.

I'm not sure the gender change spell does exist. After all, if it existed, there would be a risk of Trixie copying it with her amulet-boosted magic. Twilight would know she'd be more likely to win by using "spells" she knew Trixie couldn't reproduce if she tried.

Of course, the fandom's certainly going to interpret it as existing. Heck, they've been operating under the assumption that it could exist for some time now. And frankly, I don't really mind that.

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

I must say, I loved the latest episode. But I was thinking, it could have been even greater if it had been twice as long...

...which got me to thinking that hey, those Crystal Kingdoms would've been better shrunk into a single episode.

Basically, if Magic Duel had been the two-part season premiere, it would've made everything ten times better.

But everything's still cool regardless.

-ibrow

I must say, I loved the latest episode. But I was thinking, it could have been even greater if it had been twice as long...

...which got me to thinking that hey, those Crystal Kingdoms would've been better shrunk into a single episode.

Basically, if Magic Duel had been the two-part season premiere, it would've made everything ten times better.

But everything's still cool regardless.

-ibrow

I agree that this episode might have been better as a two-parter (since the pacing was maybe its only flaw), but I disagree that the Crystal Empire should have been compressed into one episode. As it is, the main criticism of it was that it focused primarily on Twilight at the expense of the rest of the mane six and King Sombra. While I disagree with that to some extent (because I feel the episode was meant to be primarily about Twilight's conflict anyway), I feel trying to compress all that into one episode would only exacerbate these problems while taking away from Twilight's story as well.

Edited by Lyichir

They could've compressed the wedding episodes into one, then used the first Crystal Empire episode as a season ending, with the second one being a season opener... :P

Edit: So if the Crystal Empire is an empire, and King Sombra is its king, who is the Emperor or Empress?

Edited by Valenti

f9Qcky7.png

They could've compressed the wedding episodes into one, then used the first Crystal Empire episode as a season ending, with the second one being a season opener... :P

Edit: So if the Crystal Empire is an empire, and King Sombra is its king, who is the Emperor or Empress?

Not the wedding! D:

Maybe he was the Emperor-King. He was so awesome he was both! :P jk

So um... For some reason I'm watching Littlest Pet Shop... some more... And apparently a lot of people are. Is this the next MLP?

Edited by Rarity

Not the wedding! D:

Maybe he was the Emperor-King. He was so awesome he was both! :P jk

So um... For some reason I'm watching Littlest Pet Shop... some more... And apparently a lot of people are. Is this the next MLP?

I don't think it will have as large a following as MLP. I know that that may be weird to hear from a brony but I just honestly believe it doesn't have enough stuff to work with to do it. Part of this is how the internet seems to really go for the kids shows with fantasy elements (FiM, Gravity Falls, the Avatar series) and I'm not sure LPS has that. Still, I suppose it could gather a sizable fanbase. It depends if it's good. Is it good?

The season premiere was pretty terrible, but every episode since has been pretty good. The last one especially.As for LPS, ehh. It looks like it could be interesting, maybe, but its visual style does not appeal to me at all.

Sort of the same here. I've only seen the first episode (and the visual style works a LOT better animated than it did in the screenshots I had seen previously), but there's still something seriously uncanny-valley about the character designs. Additionally, while the humor is very self aware, the first episode felt a lot more silly than MLP:FiM, in that the ways in which characters reacted to things seemed to be entirely based on what would be funniest rather than according to their unique character traits.I ought to watch more episodes sometime, but since I don't have the Hub at college, I find it easier to just watch the MLP:FiM episodes on YouTube and not spend another 22-minute chunk of my time watching a show I have less interest in.Overall, I doubt there will ever be a community for LPS as strong as the bronies. Part of this is just a matter of luck-- a lot of factors conspired to get MLP:FiM as much internet notoriety as it achieved-- and part of it is that the show just doesn't seem to have quite the same cutesy art style and idealistic charm.

I never thought LPS could become its own fandom. If anything, it'll be a sub-fandom of MLP.

True...regardless of "Littlest Pet Shop"'s quality as a show, I doubt that it will generate the amount of discussion and original content that MLP has. Although I guess some brony artists, writers, and musicians might cross over if they see a big enough audience for it.

Edited by Keizah the Kaleidoscope

steven-giantwoman-b.gif

[æzɚæθ mɛtriɔn zɪnθos]

It wasn't luck that create bronies.There's something hidden in the show.

Even if MLP has gained its fans completely through the show's own merit, it shouldn't be ignored that most potential bronies probably wouldn't have ever even considered watching it if it hadn't spread through the internet like it did, which was wholly a result of someone posting an alarmist article about Lauren Faust more or less "selling out", and that article being read on a certain notorious online imageboard. Perhaps it might eventually have developed the brony fandom on its own, but it might have taken several years to have reached that point. Instead, its success mushroomed shortly after the series began and has grown consistently ever since. I'd say "luck" is a big part of that, because if someone hadn't had a negative opinion about the show before it even aired, or if that negative opinion hadn't been discovered by the same community that has been responsible for launching many of the most famous internet memes, then that success with the "bronies" might not have been nearly as sudden as it was.On a side note, Meghan McCarthy has confirmed that the premise for Magic Duel was submitted back in January 2011-- back before the show's writers were nearly as aware of the brony community as they later became. It was originally intended as a Season 2 episode. Needless to say, while this doesn't mean that there wasn't ANY brony fanservice in the episode (I'm sure that with Trixie being a fan-favorite character, the writers worked extra hard to make sure the episode didn't disappoint that audience), it does reinforce something I've been saying, which is that the writers love Trixie as a character just as much as the fans do, and it was their own idea that she should be brought back. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

I can't see bronies going en masse to LPS, it seems like a massive stretch and I doubt you are anymore likely to consider it whether you are a Brony or not, the main reason I believe this (among others) is that Lauren Faust has nothing to do with it. @ AanchirI would not call it luck, at least not more any other show, the main thing that seemed to draw at least some people into MLP (at least initially) in the first place is Lauren Faust having a major hand in the show itself. Also, having read that article, it brought up numerous shows and while MLP was among them, it did not give so much as a plot synopsis at all, and quite honestly, I don't even think that if the article didn't existence that it would have impacted the Brony founding all that much because of that. People would have tried it and were likely to bring it to Site with forums removed. -B6 where it would have ignited anyway (but more because of Lauren Faust having her name on it), at least if you ask me.

Edited by Black Six

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

Just rewatched The Royal Wedding. If the compelling storyline to Daniel Ingram music wasn't what got manly tears out of me, the nostalgia trip from hearing Jaller and Roodaka's voices did.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Just rewatched The Royal Wedding. If the compelling storyline to Daniel Ingram music wasn't what got manly tears out of me, the nostalgia trip from hearing Jaller and Roodaka's voices did.

That always makes me smile when I watch those episodes.But the part that makes me give manly tears is always the ending.

So currently in my design class, we're making 2013 calendars using Adobe InDesign (CS4 in class, and CS6 when I work on it at home). It needed to have a theme, and I couldn't think of much besides ponies. Thankfully I'm not the only one in class doing ponies. :P If you are interested, I exported my progress to a PDF and uploaded it to Google Drive. Here it is.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.