Official My Little Pony topic

~Allegretto~

My explanation is that when Celestia used the Elements, she did so alone, and consequently they did not have enough power to purify Luna of her corruption, just enough to imprison her. In contrast, when the Mane 6 used them, the Elements were able to power themselves through their friendship, which as we all know is equivalent to Magic in Equestria.

Simply put, the Mane 6 put much more juice into their usage of the Elements.

My explanation is that when Celestia used the Elements, she did so alone, and consequently they did not have enough power to purify Luna of her corruption, just enough to imprison her. In contrast, when the Mane 6 used them, the Elements were able to power themselves through their friendship, which as we all know is equivalent to Magic in Equestria.

Simply put, the Mane 6 put much more juice into their usage of the Elements.

i definitely agree with this. celestia and luna were powerful enough to each use the elements but since neither were destined to wield them, their power couldn't be fully tapped. it was only when they found themselves in the hands (hooves?) of the mane six, the rightful bearers of the elements, that their power could be used to their full extent. this is because they were able to power the elements with friendship, an incredibly powerful and unique form of magic that even a pony like star swirl, who has created many intense and complex spells such as time travel, couldn't discover.

G A Y   A S   H E C K

Pinkie Pie has risen a bit in my opinion since last time I touched upon this. At times she's impossible not to like, while other times she can be really annoying.

That sentence sorta reminds me of MAD's My Little War Horse. Lol her cake changed from "Yay Friends!" to "Go Bronies!".

Edited by Toa Kranan: TOUAB

So as of today, my MLP/Doctor Who fanfiction, Dr. Hooves and the Broken Box, is finally complete and published. It's not perfect by any means, but I'm pretty proud of it all things considered.

Not sure when I'll get around to writing something else, but I do hope to do so eventually.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I really enjoyed this episode. I see the new writer Josh Haber understands how the characters play off of each other. I think the castle also might be my favorite location on the show ever. In general, the comedy alone makes this a good episode.

It does have its flaws, however. One, I'm getting kind of annoyed with Pinkie Pie's recent depictions. I tolerated her human counterpart accurately guessing Twilight's secret because it didn't really influence the plot (either way, Twilight decides to tell her human friends, and they find out). However, her haunted castle organ party idea just seemed odd and unfunny. Not to mention I figured out she was the mysterious pony before the episode was halfway over. I'm not sure if Pinkie's becoming Flanderized, however, because I felt similarly that her zaniness was exaggerated for plot convenience in "Swarm of the Century." To Haber's credit, the bell-ringing cutaway did get a laugh from me.

Also, the introduction seemed incredibly forced. All the Mane Six going to the castle ruins at the same time? In the tabooed Everfree Forest? I want to say it was worth it to get the comedic antics, because they really were funny, but by the end of the episode, I was still aware of the sheer implausibility of it. Also, a lot of cool ideas set up in the beginning (Twilight learning more about the box and the six keys, and the Star Spiders) were never mentioned again. This particularly bugs me because, unlike the forced setup, this was easily avoidable; just put the spiders in the background and have Twilight say at the end, "Well, I didn't find out anything more about the box, but ..."

Overall, I'm a fan of Haber. His characterizations are cute, hilarious, and spot-on (except for Pinkie Pie's), and, if he can work out a few plot kinks, he can put out some "The Best Night Ever"-level episodes.

Another thing I notice, which I both like and dislike, is the scene where Fluttershy thinks the pile of rocks is Angel, then freaks out when it gets crushed. That scene was pretty heart-wrenching, especially how she was worrying about him the whole time until that point. It seems to be played for laughs, however, so I wasn't sure how I was supposed to feel. It would have worked better if they just did away with that scene for now, but used it in another, less humor-centric episode, where its full emotional potential could be tapped. That being said, I'm glad Fluttershy wasn't characterized as debilitated by her shyness like she sometimes is. When Rarity wanted to leave, it's Fluttershy who chose to stay and look for Angel. I'm glad Haber acknowledged her motherly care for Angel is just as quintessential to her as her shyness, because it is. However, it also proves to me that he can make the characters as mature and deep as they deserve to be, which makes his caricatured Pinkie Pie that much harder to overlook.

Overall, 8.5/10.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

She can be a bit slow and annoying but I still love Pinkie Pie. She reminds me of Bubbles from PPG. I was hoping the Dark Unicorn thingy would chase them away but I was kinda dissapointed when he turned out to be Pinkie Pie.

I'm still wondering what Princess Luna would look like when she's a fully grown mare.

I'm still wondering what Princess Luna would look like when she's a fully grown mare.

(Spoiler for episode 4.02... just in case people haven't seen it yet.)

Judging from the fact that her appearance during Discord's reign is the same as it is now, I think we can assume she is fully grown.

Actually, now that I'm watching that scene again, I think the two actually look slightly smaller, maybe? Anyone wanna input an opinion here?

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

My headcanon is that being trapped as NMM for so long made her atrophy a bit. It's how I reconcile her appearance in S1E2 with her new look since Luna Eclipsed.

True, she did atrophy, but she's a born alicorn. She'll probably take longer to grow than most mortal ponies. Fanart that shows baby Cadence is really starting to irritate me, now that The Crystal Heart Spell revealed her to be originally a pegasus.

I wonder what Celestia would like like corrupted. A pony of flame?

Hey, did anyone see that iTunes and Google Play have the series' official soundtrack available for download?

It only has songs from seasons 1 and 2, but they sound excellent. I've downloaded Becoming Popular and Love is in Bloom and they both sound fabulous.

-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

I read some great rebuttals to the criticisms of Daring Don't. My own thoughts are that the idea is really out of left field, but I love the Indiana Jones references, fight scenes, character designs, similarity to real-world fandom, and moral enough to call it a good episode. Not as good as Castle Mane-ia, though.

1. How come the Princesses don't know about Ahuizotl? Because, unlike Discord and Sombra, he's not a major threat, since Daring Do can keep him in check.

2. How come there's an Aztec temple in Equestria? Canterlot looks Russian, Cloudsdale looks Greek, and the Crystal Empire looks French, so Equestria's just a big melting pot.

3. How could the rings control the sun when Celestia does? This argument has the most credence to me. The analyst I was watching points out it's not explicitly said to affect the sun, just make it really hot, but it's implied to do it through the sun.

4. Why does Daring Do publish books about her adventures? In case Ahuizotl ever does kill her or take over the world, so that others can reference what she already knows about him. And to make a living.

Also, is there an official time we have to wait to post about new episodes without spoiler tags?

Edited by Master Inika

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

I read some great rebuttals to the criticisms of Daring Don't. My own thoughts are that the idea is really out of left field, but I love the Indiana Jones references, fight scenes, character designs, similarity to real-world fandom, and moral enough to call it a good episode. Not as good as Castle Mane-ia, though.

1. How come the Princesses don't know about Ahuizotl? Because, unlike Discord and Sombra, he's not a major threat, since Daring Do can keep him in check.

2. How come there's an Aztec temple in Equestria? Canterlot looks Russian, Cloudsdale looks Greek, and the Crystal Empire looks French, so Equestria's just a big melting pot.

3. How could the rings control the sun when Celestia does? This argument has the most credence to me. The analyst I was watching points out it's not explicitly said to affect the sun, just make it really hot, but it's implied to do it through the sun.

4. Why does Daring Do publish books about her adventures? In case Ahuizotl ever does kill her or take over the world, so that others can reference what she already knows about him. And to make a living.

Also, is there an official time we have to wait to post about new episodes without spoiler tags?

Canterlot seems more English to me. And if Luna raises the Moon at night in Equestria, shouldn't Celestia raise the Sun on the other side of the world?

I dunno, the frequent use of spoiler tags seems to have become some sort of plague .

There are plenty of ways to create heat that don't involve manipulating the sun itself. Greenhouse gases, for one. Or somehow disrupting the weather that Cloudsdale creates, perhaps breaking up clouds before they can put down rainfall.

Canterlot seems more English to me. And if Luna raises the Moon at night in Equestria, shouldn't Celestia raise the Sun on the other side of the world?

I dunno, the frequent use of spoiler tags seems to have become some sort of plague .

If you do use a spoiler tag you could identify what episode number or numbers you're spoiling. That way people like me can participate in new episode discussion without the risk of accidentally spoiling future episodes for ourselves. ;) Personally I like to give each episode about one and a half to two weeks before discussing without spoilers, but it's up to you.

BZPRPG

So I got the "Songs of Friendship and Magic" album on iTunes.

I really like the piano intro they added to "Love is in Bloom". ^^

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

So I got the "Songs of Friendship and Magic" album on iTunes.

I really like the piano intro they added to "Love is in Bloom". ^^

Was that added for the album? When I heard that, I thought it must have just been covered up by dialogue in the original episode and thus ignored by the people who rip songs from the show for download. But if it was newly added just for the album, that's maybe even cooler.

I think it was added for the album yeah, I'm not entirely sure.

There's also an actual second verse that replaces the dialogue from the show. :)

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

I think it was added for the album yeah, I'm not entirely sure.

There's also an actual second verse that replaces the dialogue from the show. :)

I believe the version with the second verse was also included as a sing-along in the special features of certain DVD sets. Maybe the piano intro was also present in those.

Ahh, very nice. Well, it's on iTunes now. :P

The digital booklet has quite some errors tho, like "This Day Aria" lyrics under the B.B.B.F.F. page etc.

f9Qcky7.png

As much of a bland, flat, one-dimensional, boring, superfluous character Flash Sentry is, I realized there's one thing I liked about him. After the Humane Six defeat Sunset Shimmer, and he asks her to dance, he's biting his lip and looks all nervous. That had a hint of humanness in it. I liked that part.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

So that latest episode, am I right? I think it might be the best episode of this new season so far (and not just because it set such a high bar for this season's songs). I like that it's the first episode to deal directly with Scootaloo's inability to fly, which is one of her primary character traits but has up until now been used largely as a punchline. It did feel a bit formulaic at moments, but the story was good, and the song was good, and the message was good. An all-around awesome episode, if you ask me.

This was just an all-around great episode. Right off the bat, I loved that the CMC are doing something other than stupid, random things in rapid succession. It got old fast. Also, if you remember in "Call of the Cutie," Rainbow Dash was the one who originally told Apple Bloom to do that. Having her be a genuine voice of reason shows great growth in Dashie as a character. Also, she plays off of Harshwinny hilariously. The song was great, as they always are. The reprise was an unexpected surprise. The moral was well-executed and didn't seem forced at all.

If there's one thing I could criticize it about, it's pacing. I don't usually notice pacing, when other bronies say an episode's was good, bad, or otherwise. I often found myself saying, "Huh? We're at [whatever part we're at] already?" But then, pacing is something I'm really bad at appraising, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Overall, 9/10. One of the best.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

So any thoughts on if Scoots can walk on clouds? I'm inclined to believe so, since "Sonic Rainboom" implies Twilight's spell for wings and her spell for cloud-walking are totally unrelated.

I didn't have this thought until right now, and it probably won't get used, but who here thinks there could be an episode about Scootaloo becoming Fluttershy's apprentice? Fluttershy doesn't seem to fly that much in daily life.

Come to think of it, did Scootaloo ever go to the flight camp Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash did? Fluttershy's flashbacks of her being bullied imply she was slightly older than Scootaloo is in the present (remembering that Flutters is a year older than Pinkie, whom has Scootaloo's proportions in her flashback). Maybe she can't fly because, for some reason, she never had proper training.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

So any thoughts on if Scoots can walk on clouds? I'm inclined to believe so, since "Sonic Rainboom" implies Twilight's spell for wings and her spell for cloud-walking are totally unrelated.

I didn't have this thought until right now, and it probably won't get used, but who here thinks there could be an episode about Scootaloo becoming Fluttershy's apprentice? Fluttershy doesn't seem to fly that much in daily life.

Come to think of it, did Scootaloo ever go to the flight camp Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash did? Fluttershy's flashbacks of her being bullied imply she was slightly older than Scootaloo is in the present (remembering that Flutters is a year older than Pinkie, whom has Scootaloo's proportions in her flashback). Maybe she can't fly because, for some reason, she never had proper training.

Scoots hung on a cloud for a second in "Sleepless in Ponyville", so I'm pretty sure she can also walk on them.

It has also been clearly implied by Scootaloo in the latest episode that her problem was that her wings just have not grown (yet?) -- but maybe training would still help.

Scoots hung on a cloud for a second in "Sleepless in Ponyville", so I'm pretty sure she can also walk on them.

It has also been clearly implied by Scootaloo in the latest episode that her problem was that her wings just have not grown (yet?) -- but maybe training would still help.

Personally, I like and relate to the idea that Scootaloo might actually be disabled. She might fly one day, just like a dyslexic person can learn to read, but I think it'd be a disservice to that aspect of her character if it just took some training or time to grow to make her into a "normal" pegasus. How would a disabled person who identifies with Scootaloo feel if the "solution" to the disability was presented as "growing up and not being disabled anymore"? Rather, I think it should continue to present a challenge even if she does finally manage to achieve flight.

From what we've seen, Scootaloo's wings are plenty powerful. She just can't get them to provide the right amount of lift. But she can still do amazing things with them, and shouldn't be pushing herself to fly just so she can "fit in".

Personally, I like and relate to the idea that Scootaloo might actually be disabled. She might fly one day, just like a dyslexic person can learn to read, but I think it'd be a disservice to that aspect of her character if it just took some training or time to grow to make her into a "normal" pegasus. How would a disabled person who identifies with Scootaloo feel if the "solution" to the disability was presented as "growing up and not being disabled anymore"? Rather, I think it should continue to present a challenge even if she does finally manage to achieve flight.

From what we've seen, Scootaloo's wings are plenty powerful. She just can't get them to provide the right amount of lift. But she can still do amazing things with them, and shouldn't be pushing herself to fly just so she can "fit in".

I don't mean it would fix the problem completely if she went to a camp now. I mean it gets harder to learn the older a pony gets. That might detract from the parallelism to real-world birth disabilities.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg