Official My Little Pony topic

~Allegretto~

So any thoughts on if Scoots can walk on clouds? I'm inclined to believe so, since "Sonic Rainboom" implies Twilight's spell for wings and her spell for cloud-walking are totally unrelated.

I didn't have this thought until right now, and it probably won't get used, but who here thinks there could be an episode about Scootaloo becoming Fluttershy's apprentice? Fluttershy doesn't seem to fly that much in daily life.

Come to think of it, did Scootaloo ever go to the flight camp Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash did? Fluttershy's flashbacks of her being bullied imply she was slightly older than Scootaloo is in the present (remembering that Flutters is a year older than Pinkie, whom has Scootaloo's proportions in her flashback). Maybe she can't fly because, for some reason, she never had proper training.

Scoots hung on a cloud for a second in "Sleepless in Ponyville", so I'm pretty sure she can also walk on them.

It has also been clearly implied by Scootaloo in the latest episode that her problem was that her wings just have not grown (yet?) -- but maybe training would still help.

Personally, I like and relate to the idea that Scootaloo might actually be disabled. She might fly one day, just like a dyslexic person can learn to read, but I think it'd be a disservice to that aspect of her character if it just took some training or time to grow to make her into a "normal" pegasus. How would a disabled person who identifies with Scootaloo feel if the "solution" to the disability was presented as "growing up and not being disabled anymore"? Rather, I think it should continue to present a challenge even if she does finally manage to achieve flight.

From what we've seen, Scootaloo's wings are plenty powerful. She just can't get them to provide the right amount of lift. But she can still do amazing things with them, and shouldn't be pushing herself to fly just so she can "fit in".

I don't mean it would fix the problem completely if she went to a camp now. I mean it gets harder to learn the older a pony gets. That might detract from the parallelism to real-world birth disabilities.

Also, ya gotta remember, that you don't need large wings to fly, I mean, LOOK AT SNOWFLAKE! he's HUGE! also, darn the developers for that end cutiemark troll.

~UntitledModel_9.png.a8adc254dbd8da1586473030e7c7d30e.png~

Definetely liked the comic books mentioned in this episode although I have to admit I was goofing off on the Internet as I was listening to it so I don't remember that much. But has anyone picked up the IDW comics yet? Imo, they seem to be better than show.

Attention: Due to some confusion regarding my name, it is meant to be read as d-h-i-k. However, I will not adjust my user name, unless the mods ask me to, because it most likely would be extremely annoying for everyone who had to type it.

Definetely liked the comic books mentioned in this episode although I have to admit I was goofing off on the Internet as I was listening to it so I don't remember that much. But has anyone picked up the IDW comics yet? Imo, they seem to be better than show.

I'm a big fan of the comics. I wouldn't say they're better than the show so much as that they can tell certain types of stories better than the show could. As a print medium, they lack the ability to have pitch-perfect voices for the characters or memorable musical numbers, but the pacing of the comics is more tightly controlled and they have the ability to do different things than the show could, such as a two-parter focused on Big Mac or the Luna arc, which I don't think could be matched in tone or scope with anything less than a movie.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Observations on the new episode, Power Ponies:

1. I love Spike's characterization in this episode. It's consistent with his earlier depiction as associating his intrinsic value to how much he can help others, and also the way Twilight and the others don't seem concerned with it are both not out-of-character and help show a real type of problem when people are uncomfortable with addressing problems with their friends.

2. When Twilight tries to make a plan, but Rainbow decides to fly forward with no premeditation got a giggle at first, until I remembered the exact same joke happens in Daring Don't.

3. I love Fluttershy's expressions and lines in this one. Even though Fluttershy's my favorite pony, I feel like she's best used as a character when she's on the peripheral, or used alongside other characters. I find an oddly high proportion of Fluttershy-centric episodes to fall flat, and even though I like some, I feel her best moments are her cute little one-liners.

4. When Maneiac decides not to use the Hairspray Ray of Doom on Spike/Humdrum, she doesn't repeat to the audience that Humdrum has no powers. I like how this scenes respects the intelligence of the audience and doesn't pound in things we can remember the first time.

5. I find Maneiac to be overall forgettable, but she has her moments ("... freedom in the name of oppression!").

6. Much like in Castle Mane-ia, I felt that the setup was completely forced, but it was worth it for the humor and other narrative aspects. Unlike Castle Mane-ia, which doesn't even try to justify why everyone went to the castle at the exact same time, Power Ponies at least tries to justify it at the very end. It still doesn't feel very natural, but it's done better than in Castle Mane-ia.

Also, it turns out Chiara Zanni, the voice of Hahli in MoL, also voiced Bon Bon and Daring Do.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I liked the new episode but I'm glad it was somewhat of an alternate universe storyline (sort of) as I thought it would be another CMC episode.

Attention: Due to some confusion regarding my name, it is meant to be read as d-h-i-k. However, I will not adjust my user name, unless the mods ask me to, because it most likely would be extremely annoying for everyone who had to type it.

Heh heh, so it seems Weird Al Yankovic will have a guest appearance in episode 11 of the season.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Batpony Fluttershy is just the cutest, I want to hug.

Also, excellent Winter Wrap-Up reference. I chuckled audibly.

e: Oh yeah, the song was much better than the previous one. I like when the duets have a contrast between the singers, like the one from May The Best Pet Win, and this one was even more distinct than that.

edit 1 week later:

Meh, Rarity episode.

Whenever the writers try to portray her as actually being generous it always seems rather out-of-character compared to how she normally is.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

edit 1 week later:

Meh, Rarity episode.

Whenever the writers try to portray her as actually being generous it always seems rather out-of-character compared to how she normally is.

I disagree. I think it was a fantastic episode (like most Rarity episodes) and a great exploration of her character.

I think you underestimate a person's ability to be self-indulgent without being self-centered. Rarity obviously acts really fussy and needy a lot of the time, but she loves sharing gifts of beauty and luxury with others just as much as she enjoys treating herself to those same sorts of gifts. I think it's clear that she would find a life of perfect luxury without other people to share it with incredibly unfulfilling.

You'll notice that in her job as a designer, she never, EVER concerns herself with how profitable any particular job will be. In contrast, she's after appreciation and prestige. She wants to create things that other ponies will admire and be grateful for, and she spares no expense of time or money to achieve that goal — even when it pushes her to the breaking point emotionally. In Suited for Success she even willfully suppresses her own creative instinct and creates a completely new line of elaborate designs that she knows are excessive just to please her friends/clients. Remember that this is not a job she's being paid for, nor a job that she expects to result in a lot of high-society notoriety, nor a job that she was actually asked to do in the first place. And in the meantime, her own gown — the one she imagines will help her dreams come true at the Grand Galloping Gala — remains unfinished.

Even as an amateur artist who has never done a single commission and barely even taken on requests, I really identify with Rarity. She wants to be known, she wants to be appreciated, and she wants to enrich the lives of the ponies around her. For her, the thought of having a bad reputation among those she holds in high regard is enough to drive her, normally a well-mannered lady, to tears. Sometimes she pushes herself too hard to prove herself or to be everything to everypony. But more than anything else, she wants to ensure that other ponies feel like their world is a more beautiful place with her in it.

As for the episode itself, it was interesting to see Rarity's natural generosity challenged to this extent. Never before has she been in a situation where she feels like other ponies are knowingly taking advantage of her. And while she doesn't suffer a mental breakdown like Twilight in Lesson Zero, it's still abundantly clear that when she is not being generous, she is "out of her element". And that peak of her emotional breakdown is expertly delivered. "Congratu-pony-lations, fillies! Sounds like you've all figured out already it's everypony for herself in this town!"

However, when she realizes what she's done, everything else seems less important. She simply walks out on the fashion show where she was so bound and determined to prove herself because she knows that no amount of admiration from high-society Manehattan ponies is ever going to measure up to the level of love and appreciation she gets from her close friends. And I think that says a lot about her priorities.

There's no way she thinks her friends are going to be able to earn her the fame and admiration from all of Equestria that she so craves (though realistically, I think Twilight could pull some strings if Rarity weren't so intent on proving herself to other ponies with her own blood, sweat, and tears). But distant admiration from a nation of ponies is nothing to her compared to the importance of what she means to the ponies who know her firsthand (firsthoof?). The idea that her own friends hate her would overrule any amount of praise that she got from ponies who only know her as a celebrity fashion designer.

Thankfully, everything works out in the end, and we get to witness the consequences of embracing an "everypony for herself" attitude. It almost makes you wonder... was Suri Polomare's first week in Manehattan as hard for her as it was for Rarity? Did she perhaps have her own generosity taken advantage of? And is this what Rarity would have become if she conditioned herself to put aside her generous impulses and adopt a single-minded quest for wide-reaching fame and influence, at the expense of closer and more meaningful friendships?

In the end, even Coco Pommel was rewarded for her virtuous decision to stand up for what was right. I hope we see her again at some point in the future, and get to really see how much better her life has become after getting herself out of the toxic situation of duplicating designs for Suri.

Yeah, and then at the wedding she punches everyone else out of the way to grab the bouquet.

Maybe it's just that Rarity's constant over-dramatization of little things bothers me, but to me she seems to be the least consistent of the main characters.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Yeah, and then at the wedding she punches everyone else out of the way to grab the bouquet.

Maybe it's just that Rarity's constant over-dramatization of little things bothers me, but to me she seems to be the least consistent of the main characters.

I dunno, Rarity's "drama queen" attitude has always seemed funny to me. It never felt contradictory to me, it's just how she is. Sometimes her hammy attitude and mannerisms are used for comic relief (like her trying to get the wedding bouquet, or the various WORST! POSSIBLE! THINGS! in "Lesson Zero", or how she DESPISES CAMPING), while other times they're dramatically appropriate. Traditionally, you're supposed to compete with other girls to try and catch the wedding bouquet, but Rarity takes things that one extra step too far. That's another attribute of her character I didn't touch on — under that proper and ladylike exterior, she has a more brash and spontaneous side, which starts to come out when she's very angry or excited.

One of the best things about the series as a whole is that all of the Mane Six and CMCs have colorful faults, which are exaggerated enough for the audience to laugh at them (this is, after all, a kids' cartoon), but also realistic enough for the audience to relate to them. None of the main characters are reduced to simple one-dimensional comic relief, but rather they can each cover a broad emotional range. Even Pinkie Pie, the wackiest and goofiest of the characters, has this — It's hard not to sympathize with her when she's in a mood.

And I also agree with one common thing I hear people say about Rarity — it's great to have a character like her, prone to mood swings and incredibly concerned with fashion and culture and beauty, as a protagonist. It'd be easy to write a character like her as an antagonist, or at least a disagreeable person. It takes a bit more sensitivity to write her as a good friend or as a character with plenty of real emotions and agency of her own.

I really liked the new episode, apart from the song. The songs have been really forced and uninteresting lately. I wish they didn't feel the need to include them in almost every episode. I've been bingeing on Project Runway recently so that only increased my enjoyment. :P

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

I really liked the new episode, apart from the song. The songs have been really forced and uninteresting lately. I wish they didn't feel the need to include them in almost every episode. I've been bingeing on Project Runway recently so that only increased my enjoyment. :P

Forced and uninteresting? Okay, this one wasn't exceptional (at least in comparison to other Rarity songs, since hers are the best), and Bats was extremely situational like May the Best Pet Win (what I'd give for a good solo song from Fluttershy), but Hearts Strong as Horses is up there with the Smile Song, At the Gala, and the entirety of Magical Mystery Cure. It's the only CMC song that's not either extremely situational or intentionally performed badly, and distills their characters down to their essence as a trio of go-getting young fillies.

The way you put that in a way it sounds like shipping. Just kidding, however I haven't seen the episode yet, but I'm positive I'm going to enjoy it.

Best Regards Iggy                                                                                 Failure to not recognize this user's awesomeness is punishable by Pikachu

"Because some...men just like to watch the world burn"  

Spontaneous Combustions is back, but not in the way you expected.

https://chargeinfinity.wordpress.com/

According to Granny Smith in the new ep, a Ponyville snail can hibernate for up to 48 moons. A real-world snail can hibernate for up to 3 years. Using that logic, the Apple family reunion is roughly once every six years and the portal to the EG universe stays closed for roughly two years.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Today's episode:

• So it's clear that the eventual goal in this season in the Equestrian Games, much like it was the Grand Galloping Gala in season 1.
  • Yay! Big D gets larger an appearance than ever!
  • Has Dr. Whooves had a regeneration? I dunno, the timekeeper is kind of... Doctor-y.
  • The badge is a key too! This whole thing was surely engineered!

~ CHTrilogy

Today's episode:

• So it's clear that the eventual goal in this season in the Equestrian Games, much like it was the Grand Galloping Gala in season 1.
  • Has Dr. Whooves had a regeneration? I dunno, the timekeeper is kind of... Doctor-y.

I believe that that is creacent moon, he is the equivilant to the 11th doctor. time turner was equivilent to 10th. and I hope next season he wears a bowtie or something to an event.

Today's episode:

I believe that that is creacent moon, he is the equivilant to the 11th doctor. time turner was equivilent to 10th. and I hope next season he wears a bowtie or something to an event.

Then what about this guy from "Sweet and Elite"?

A friend of mine just told me recently, that Wierd Al is going to be in one of the episodes. I kinda want to hear some other bronies on this, because I'm not that updated on pony news, and I have a fleeting suspicion that I might me rick-rolled here. 8D

bio_sig02_lores_by_oyee-d77i3td.jpg

New pages are up! Click to see latest! \(°u°)/

Gallery & conceptart topic - Current: Pre-mut & pre-ev Makuta: Krika | Antroz | Vamprah | Miserix | Bitil | .. 

Older pics: Helryx's Fury | Makuta Sethuldur | Order's Call (no necro k? C8)

A friend of mine just told me recently, that Wierd Al is going to be in one of the episodes. I kinda want to hear some other bronies on this, because I'm not that updated on pony news, and I have a fleeting suspicion that I might me rick-rolled here. 8D

Yep, he'll be in the episode that airs on February 1st. I can't wait!

~ (A VTOAHMKEARH)

Yep, he'll be in the episode that airs on February 1st. I can't wait!

~ (A VTOAHMKEARH)

That's... that's two weeks away. Why do I have to wait for everything? XD I really hope it's going to be just as a pleasantly akward episode as I expect it to be.

Gallery & conceptart topic - Current: Pre-mut & pre-ev Makuta: Krika | Antroz | Vamprah | Miserix | Bitil | .. 

what was up with the slendermare hype?

You can see Slendermane in the background in Pinkie Apple Pie.

See, I think the only thing that whatever-it-is has in common with Slenderman (or -mane) is the fact that it's silhouetted. It's not tall (or at least not standing up straight), there's no hint of a suit, and most notably, it seems to actually have knob-like antennae. If that WAS meant to foreshadow or tease something, I'd sooner bet on alien ponies (or maybe Okapi?) than on Slendermane.

I saw "Rainbow Falls." :D Loved it! It really succeeds in avoiding some of the pitfalls other Season 4 episodes have had:

1. It's a full ensemble episode, but nopony feels like they're just awkwardly there. Everypony serves a purpose besides standing around the background.

2. The princesshood of Twilight Sparkle is acknowledged here with her acting as a moral guide for Rainbow.

Other aspects I enjoyed:

3. The return of Derpy. :D I do notice that Hasbro went out of their way to keep her from talking.

4. Griffons at the end. Continuity nods are awesome.

5. The dual meaning of "Rainbow Falls" is genius.

My other notes are:

1. Everypony except Twilight and Rainbow come off as Flanderized to various levels. It's still a step up from having them be there just to have a full ensemble, though.

2. At first, I felt like having Roid Rage/Snowflake/Bulk Biceps was just fandering. But when I realized they had a "misfit team" dynamic, it made sense to me.

3. I'm not sure how the viewer is supposed to view Spitfire. I think the real "antagonist" is the other Wonderbolt, and Spitfire just doesn't realize Rainbow's loyalty to her friends. Seeing as that's the lesson in "Wonderbolt Academy," this episode is somewhat of a rehash of it.

Edit: Added spoilers just in case.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

See, I think the only thing that whatever-it-is has in common with Slenderman (or -mane) is the fact that it's silhouetted. It's not tall (or at least not standing up straight), there's no hint of a suit, and most notably, it seems to actually have knob-like antennae. If that WAS meant to foreshadow or tease something, I'd sooner bet on alien ponies (or maybe Okapi?) than on Slendermane.

A lot of screenshots are incredibly unclear, but the suit and red tie are fairly obvious in animated gifs focusing on that part of the screen. I also have seen no sign of the knob-like antennae you are referring to. In fact, you only even see his ears for a split second because the top of his head is hidden behind a bush. This is one of the smoothest gifs I can find of the scene in question.

It's not a teaser for anything either, considering it wasn't in the script for the episode. It's just a joke on the part of the animators.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

A lot of screenshots are incredibly unclear, but the suit and red tie are fairly obvious in animated gifs focusing on that part of the screen. I also have seen no sign of the knob-like antennae you are referring to. In fact, you only even see his ears for a split second because the top of his head is hidden behind a bush. This is one of the smoothest gifs I can find of the scene in question.

It's not a teaser for anything either, considering it wasn't in the script for the episode. It's just a joke on the part of the animators.

Oh my gosh, that is awesome. they know we are here! now, if only they'd do something with dr whooves.

This is so awesome. I never saw him there, but I've actually rewatched that episode a second time too. :D

Oh, I was seeing it completely wrong. I saw the lapel of the suit as an ear and the tie as an antennae, and missed the shape of the actual pony. Carry on then.

Equestria Girls 2 confirmed! (Kind of)

I saw that.

Not sure if yay or nay, though.

-TNTOS-

Edited by TNTOS

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)