Official My Little Pony topic

~Allegretto~

Not going to watch EqG:RR shorts and previews. I'm going to let them surprise me. :)

Updated picture of my pony stuff.

Well the shorts aren't actual movie clips. They're more of unique bonus material created to build hype for the movie, like the LEGO Movie "Behind the Bricks" featurette, so they don't contain actual movie scenes or spoilers. Still, if you want to watch the actual movie first and then watch all eight shorts, go for it!

There's a distinct lack of Apple Fritter in stores where I live, so there ya have it. :)

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Last episode was pretty decent. Everyone got the spotlight at various points.

[FlutterDash intensifies]

I thought it was quite interesting how other ponies can be traded, and now I am curious to how the slave trade market in the pony world works. You'd think there would be rules about that.

I want that rusty old pietin, it seems like it was a great product that turned the tides of the war.

~UntitledModel_9.png.a8adc254dbd8da1586473030e7c7d30e.png~

The new episode was great. A perfect example of a twofold moral: the main moral that Spike learns (true friends can be honest with each other), and a deeper moral (creativities are at their best when limited).

The latter is a lesson George Lucas never learned.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

The new episode was great. A perfect example of a twofold moral: the main moral that Spike learns (true friends can be honest with each other), and a deeper moral (creativities are at their best when limited).

I do think there was a two-part moral but I think the deeper lesson wasn't that creativity is best when limited, but rather that you shouldn't disregard other's opinions and feelings on what you create. It's an important lesson for anyone interested in a creative career: while expressing your own vision is great, you shouldn't do so to the point of ignoring your audience.

You could arguably still make a case that George Lucas had a problem with that; I've seen many people argue that the mediocre acting in the prequels was less because the actors weren't good and more because they were afraid to take their characters into their own hands, even to the point of ignoring or arguing with Lucas' directing, the way Harrison Ford had done in the original trilogy. In fact, you could make a similar case for some of the awful acting in The Last Airbender (particularly Seychelle Gabriel's role as Princess Yue, since she's shown in Legend of Korra that in the hands of competent directors she can do so much better).

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

You could arguably still make a case that George Lucas had a problem with that; I've seen many people argue that the mediocre acting in the prequels was less because the actors weren't good and more because they were afraid to take their characters into their own hands, even to the point of ignoring or arguing with Lucas' directing, the way Harrison Ford had done in the original trilogy. In fact, you could make a similar case for some of the awful acting in The Last Airbender (particularly Seychelle Gabriel's role as Princess Yue, since she's shown in Legend of Korra that in the hands of competent directors she can do so much better).

I would think it's more about the Special Editions of the original trilogy. Each one was more extraneous than the last!

~ CHTrilogy

I do think there was a two-part moral but I think the deeper lesson wasn't that creativity is best when limited, but rather that you shouldn't disregard other's opinions and feelings on what you create. It's an important lesson for anyone interested in a creative career: while expressing your own vision is great, you shouldn't do so to the point of ignoring your audience.

I agree that the moral of audience opinion was present, especially in the context of the puppeteer's wagon. However, according to the RedLetterMedia reviews, the prequels failed, in part, because Lucas was such a celebrity from the originals that the production workers were intimidated by him and never challenged his bad ideas

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Honestly I don't think it has much to do with his creative vision and ideas. The entire Clone Wars series was his idea and that show is fantastic. I think the problem was he isn't very good at directing. Unimaginative cinematography and flat performances from competent actors, not poor creative vision. Also pretty bad dialogue.

More to the point the last two episodes were good in their own right but there is only so much Spike I can handle. Two episodes of Spike is more than that.

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

In that season finale was I the only one that feel like I was watching DragonBall Z (or should I say PonyBall Z) or not because the only thing that was missing was the DragonBall Z music.

If I am correct in my understanding of the length of DragonBall Z fight scenes, the finale was missing a great deal more than just the music. Several episodes more, to be more specific. :P

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Welcome, all....

TO THE HIATUS!

I'm scared.

On the episode, loved it. As Tommy Oliver said, it is much like A Canterlot Wedding in how its grand, epic scale helps distract you from the plot errors. ACW is one of my favorite episodes, despite the errors, and so is this one.

One thing that I did notice immediately was that Celestia's plan seemed not-thought-out. Never mind that she left the stain-glass portrait of Twilight on the wall, but what did she think Tirek would do when he learned what they did? Did she think he'd just give up? He'd have found Twilight eventually even without Discord. It could be argued that she had little time to make a plan, but she sounds confident when she says it. Even one line like, "I know this isn't a permanent solution, but what other choice do we have?" would have helped make her seem more confident, while also boosting the urgency.

I also hate Tirek's design.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

In that season finale was I the only one that feel like I was watching DragonBall Z (or should I say PonyBall Z) or not because the only thing that was missing was the DragonBall Z music.

If I am correct in my understanding of the length of DragonBall Z fight scenes, the finale was missing a great deal more than just the music. Several episodes more, to be more specific. :P
Ya I think we are missing just about I don't know 100 more episodes and I think there already have a longer opening in japan (I think) :P

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Yeah, the finale was brilliant. It was a perfect capstone to what turned out to be a ten-episode story arc this season.

I was kind of surprised to find out that Tirek was the character lurking in the Castle of the Two Sisters at the end of "Castle Mane-ia". I fully expected that to just be a "stinger" that would never actually lead to anything. But as it turns out, Tirek had been on the loose for quite a while, and that was an early cameo appearance. I like this as it helps to tie that episode in with the rest of the story arc (otherwise, its only connections would be that Twilight was at the castle to investigate the chest and that it introduced the Journal of Friendship).

The fight scene was brilliant through and through. The destruction of Twilight's library was a rather daring narrative decision that helped up the emotional impact, especially with Twilight having to rush in to rescue Owlowicious from the same fate. It helped to demonstrate how much was at stake. Also, Twilight's new castle helps to represent a new beginning for her and her friends. I love how it combines design attributes from the Tree of Harmony and the Golden Oaks Library.

I also love the ponies' new Rainbow Power forms! There's a lot of art of them in my deviantART favorites now. It adds another layer to the "magical girl" influences that were already visible in the main series and in Equestria Girls. They now have their own magical forms that they can hopefully call on the next time a major threat emerges (though some rules or drawbacks might need to be introduced so that they don't have to introduce increasingly powerful villains that diminish the magnitude of the battle against Tirek).

Anyway, the seventh Rainbow Rocks short is up! This one focuses on Applejack:

There's one short to go. I have no idea which character it might focus on. Perhaps Twilight, but I somewhat doubt it since they haven't properly reintroduced her to the others in any fashion (and anyway, the "Shake Your Tail" music video might have been meant as her short). Octavia would be cool since she will be showing up in the toyline, but she doesn't have nearly the same notoriety as DJ-Pon3. Sunset Shimmer, perhaps?

Yeah, the finale was brilliant. It was a perfect capstone to what turned out to be a ten-episode story arc this season.

I was kind of surprised to find out that Tirek was the character lurking in the Castle of the Two Sisters at the end of "Castle Mane-ia". I fully expected that to just be a "stinger" that would never actually lead to anything. But as it turns out, Tirek had been on the loose for quite a while, and that was an early cameo appearance./spoiler]

Are we sure that the pony of shadows was actually Tirek? Has it been confirmed just beyond speculation? Because the pony of shadows at the end was literally a shadow with yellow eyes while Tirek seemed like a very physical thing. Also his eyes were different. And it wouldn't be the only episode "stinger" that didn't lead anywhere. This season had several other Chekhov guns which didn't go off (which actually really annoyed me).

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

I was kind of surprised to find out that Tirek was the character lurking in the Castle of the Two Sisters at the end of "Castle Mane-ia". I fully expected that to just be a "stinger" that would never actually lead to anything. But as it turns out, Tirek had been on the loose for quite a while, and that was an early cameo appearance./spoiler]

Are we sure that the pony of shadows was

actually Tirek? Has it been confirmed just beyond speculation? Because the pony of shadows at the end was literally a shadow with yellow eyes while Tirek seemed like a very physical thing. Also his eyes were different. And it wouldn't be the only episode "stinger" that didn't lead anywhere. This season had several other Chekhov guns which didn't go off (which actually really annoyed me).

Not explicitly within the show, but Jayson Thiessen hinted at it on Twitter. Though I had forgotten that the stinger at the end of that episode was just a shadow, so maybe it wasn't him? I'd like to think it was though. As I said, it helps tie that episode in even more strongly with the rest of the story arc. So it's probably going to remain my personal headcanon unless we're told otherwise.

It could always just be a matter of the creators not having decided for certain how they wanted to portray the character, like how Luna had a different appearance between her first appearance in Season One and all subsequent appearances (including flashbacks).

Have the Flim Flam Bros. always had that sickly-green look?

More or less (comparing screenshots from this video to screenshots from MLPFiM episodes they appeared in), though it doesn't look sickly and green to me, really. It's just a very light yellow.

Their outlines are a bit greenish-looking, but those have always been a sort of an olive color (which is what yellow becomes when you make it darker).

With that said, a number of character colors are slightly altered for their human versions. Specifically, many of them tend to be slightly lighter than the pony versions of the characters (MUCH lighter in the cases of dark-colored ponies such as Big Macintosh, Luna, or Cheerilee). I'm not totally fond of this decision — while it doesn't look BAD, it feels a bit like trying to "whitewash" the cast, as though Hasbro doesn't think kids will respond as well to the characters if they have darker skin colors. Of course, it does also help reduce the difference in chromatic value between family members, like Luna and Celestia or members of the Apple family. But if this wasn't a big deal for their coat colors as ponies, is it REALLY a big deal for their skin colors as humans? It gives me pause.

• 4 weeks later...

That fanfiction I've been writing over at FiMFiction.net has been getting rather popular lately. So much that, for a few hours after I add a new chapter, it actually gets featured on the main page! :o B-)

If anyone is interested in reading what I've got so far, I posted the link a few pages back. At the rate I'm going, I hope to have this story completed by the end of August.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

Since my last post, Hasbro rolled out the last two Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks shorts on their "Hasbro Studios Shorts" channel. They're both music videos featuring the Mane Six (including Twilight Sparkle, so it's possible they are non-canon, or that they take place after Rainbow Rocks reintroduces Twilight Sparkle to the storyline).

I was thinking today about how Equestria Girls is rather similar to another story I really like, Neil Gaiman's Marvel 1602. Both stories are "alternate universe" versions of an existing franchise that are instigated when a visitor from the already established universe enters the new one, bringing their universe's magic with them. The chief difference is that Marvel 1602 does this by way of time travel, with characters in the year 1602 echoing characters like the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, and Daredevil from the Marvel universe's "present day".

• 2 weeks later...

So 4DE is promising boatloads of plushies this fall, including Derpy, Luna, Celestia, the Doctor, and Trixie.  Plus others.

But most importantly imma get my Fluttershy.

Let's hope they can make the deadline this time.

I'm still waiting until they put Twilight back in their stock.

I want my Twily. :3

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who hasn't heard yet, the Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks movie will start showing in certain theaters in late September, and will become available on DVD in late October just one month later. I personally don't go to theaters to watch anything (except the LEGO Movie), but at least it's nice to know that we don't have to wait much longer now.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.