Official My Little Pony topic

~Allegretto~

Equestria Girls 2 confirmed! (Kind of)

I saw that.

Not sure if yay or nay, though.

-TNTOS-

I like the idea, personally. The franchise hasn't been able to explore the archetypical "let's start a band" storyline with the Mane Six before, and I definitely had it in mind as one of the kinds of stories that would be ideal for the Equestria Girls universe, where the characters have not quite settled into long-term roles the way they have in the pony world and have plenty of room to explore other facets of their identities.

I do not have high hopes for the toy line, though. I've seen some pics of the new "Rainbow Rocks!" toys, and while they definitely have style, they still lack personality, which is one of the things that makes the characters of FiM and Equestria Girls appealing in the first place. Overall, I wonder if the Equestria Girls toys will ever be up to the same caliber as the character designs in the movie itself. A lot of the most show-accurate toys in the regular FiM merchandise portfolio, such as the Toys 'R' Us Favorites Collections and the miniatures sets, seem to be heavily influenced by the popularity of certain characters among bronies. Is that audience significant enough to the Equestria Girls brand for the toy designers to start considering it in their designs? I'm not entirely sure.

Overall, I'd rather see the Equestria Girls brand improve than see it go away.

The one thing that irritates me about EqG is Luna's age. Most people agree that the mane six are around 15-16. Maturity wise, I always though of Celestia as being in her 20s and Luna being more or less 14. Then again, EqG did change the CMC's age. (Unless there's an elementary school attached to Canterlot High.)

The one thing that irritates me about EqG is Luna's age. Most people agree that the mane six are around 15-16. Maturity wise, I always though of Celestia as being in her 20s and Luna being more or less 14. Then again, EqG did change the CMC's age. (Unless there's an elementary school attached to Canterlot High.)

Wait, Luna struck you as younger than the Mane Six? I can understand that impression coming from the pilot, where we barely saw her and what we did see was a pony who had gotten in way over her head. But by the end of Luna Eclipsed she had proven that she was just as mature as Celestia, if less sociable and confident in her actions.

Regarding the CMC's in particular, keep in mind that the comparative age and maturity of ponies and people isn't even close to one-to-one. The Mane Six, who are essentially young adults by pony standards, are still relatively young, especially by human standards. The Canterlot High Mane Six's photo from their freshman year showed them as about the same age as the CMC are at the time of Equestria Girls, which means there's probably still a good three-to-four year age difference between the CMCs and Mane Six, which apart from the lack of aging and the vague passage of time in the main series, could very well be the same in Equestria. Sure, the CMCs seem to be in elementary school, but Twilight's the only one of the Mane Six who has been indicated to have participated in any sort of secondary or post-secondary education (and she is, after all, a prodigy), so Equestria's education system isn't necessarily comparable to that of Earth. What doesn't make sense given this, of course, is Babs Seed being a year AHEAD of the Mane Six in the Equestria Girls comic in the MLP annual, but the comics are of dubious canonicity anyway (they certainly don't take them into account in the scripting of the show, in any case).

Any remaining quibbles can be blamed on cartoon logic and magic. :P

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Wait, Luna struck you as younger than the Mane Six? I can understand that impression coming from the pilot, where we barely saw her and what we did see was a pony who had gotten in way over her head. But by the end of Luna Eclipsed she had proven that she was just as mature as Celestia, if less sociable and confident in her actions.

Regarding the CMC's in particular, keep in mind that the comparative age and maturity of ponies and people isn't even close to one-to-one. The Mane Six, who are essentially young adults by pony standards, are still relatively young, especially by human standards. The Canterlot High Mane Six's photo from their freshman year showed them as about the same age as the CMC are at the time of Equestria Girls, which means there's probably still a good three-to-four year age difference between the CMCs and Mane Six, which apart from the lack of aging and the vague passage of time in the main series, could very well be the same in Equestria. Sure, the CMCs seem to be in elementary school, but Twilight's the only one of the Mane Six who has been indicated to have participated in any sort of secondary or post-secondary education (and she is, after all, a prodigy), so Equestria's education system isn't necessarily comparable to that of Earth. What doesn't make sense given this, of course, is Babs Seed being a year AHEAD of the Mane Six in the Equestria Girls comic in the MLP annual, but the comics are of dubious canonicity anyway (they certainly don't take them into account in the scripting of the show, in any case).

Any remaining quibbles can be blamed on cartoon logic and magic. :P

It is quite confusing, I agree. anyone heard of the utah bronycon? I 4got what it's called.

~UntitledModel_9.png.a8adc254dbd8da1586473030e7c7d30e.png~

(Been kind of behind on my ponies recently, just caught up.)

Not a fan of how the Wonderbolts were portrayed in the latest episode. Especially Spitfire. Oh well, I guess in the end they're still background characters that don't necessarily stay consistent between episodes.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Not a fan of how the Wonderbolts were portrayed in the latest episode. Especially Spitfire. Oh well, I guess in the end they're still background characters that don't necessarily stay consistent between episodes.

Well, Spitfire and Soarin at least (and probably Fleetfoot as well) are secondary characters, not background characters. I don't think that what we've seen of them have been inconsistent between different episodes. We've just been seeing different sides of Spitfire in her appearances. Her first speaking role was in a laid-back social setting, while her second role was a very serious work-related role where she had to maintain a certain amount of professionalism. In this latest episode, we see a role somewhere in between those two roles — an athletic role in which she can afford to be a little bit less uptight, but where she's still incredibly driven to succeed in her career as a Wonderbolt. A drive to achieve and a failure to keep that drive in check can be a dangerous combination.

Something she had in common in both Wonderbolts Academy AND this episode is that despite being Rainbow's role model, she still needed Rainbow to point out to her that she'd made a mistake, after which she recognized the error of her ways and tried to correct for them. Don't forget that she was encouraging Lightning Dust's at-all-costs competitive attitude before Rainbow told her just how high those costs were turning out to be.

I like this little facet of Spitfire's character. Oftentimes the role models of the Mane Six, like Celestia or Spitfire, are placed up on a pedestal, whereas the antagonists of the Mane Six are obvious ###### who you are happy to see dethroned. So it's nice to have instances where the Mane Six come to realize that sometimes even the ponies you look up to are still as flawed as you are, and that just because somepony's a role model doesn't mean you should just embrace everything they say or do. Sometimes you might even have to call them out when you catch them making a big mistake.

It especially makes sense for an athlete character like Rainbow Dash to learn this lesson, because in real life so many professional athletes who serve as role models for up-and-coming athletes end up getting into trouble outside of the competitive arena for one reason or another, and it's important to remember that a person's performance and ability on the field are not necessarily a reflection of their strength of character off the field. Spitfire's not a bad pony, but she's still a pony a lot like Rainbow Dash, and struggles with right or wrong in very similar ways.

EDIT: That filtered word is not a swear or anything, just a minor insult that is frustratingly still filtered.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

I read, ALL OF THAT. I usually just skim on posts.

I liked your input. Now, is anyone else excited about the Weird Al episode? he had cheese on his feet, Classic!

I've been looking forward to Weird Al's episode for a while now. It's supposed to be a musical, isn't it?

As for the most recent episode, Discord was awesome (as usual), Cadence had a really awesome train, and Pinkie was easily distracted by a balloon. Good episode all around.

-TNTOS-

Edited by TNTOS

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

I read, ALL OF THAT. I usually just skim on posts.

I liked your input. Now, is anyone else excited about the Weird Al episode? he had cheese on his feet, Classic!

I've been looking forward to Weird Al's episode for a while now. It's supposed to be a musical, isn't it?

As for the most recent episode, Discord was awesome, as usual, Cadence had a really awesome train, and Pinkie was easily distracted by a balloon. Good episode all around.

-TNTOS-

BEST. SUMMARY. EVER.

~UntitledModel_9.png.a8adc254dbd8da1586473030e7c7d30e.png~

I'm all caught up with ponies! Again!

(Couldn't miss Weird Al episode.)

(It was pretty good and also the one before it, yay Discord.)

Well, Spitfire and Soarin at least (and probably Fleetfoot as well) are secondary characters, not background characters. I don't think that what we've seen of them have been inconsistent between different episodes. We've just been seeing different sides of Spitfire in her appearances. Her first speaking role was in a laid-back social setting, while her second role was a very serious work-related role where she had to maintain a certain amount of professionalism. In this latest episode, we see a role somewhere in between those two roles — an athletic role in which she can afford to be a little bit less uptight, but where she's still incredibly driven to succeed in her career as a Wonderbolt. A drive to achieve and a failure to keep that drive in check can be a dangerous combination.

Something she had in common in both Wonderbolts Academy AND this episode is that despite being Rainbow's role model, she still needed Rainbow to point out to her that she'd made a mistake, after which she recognized the error of her ways and tried to correct for them. Don't forget that she was encouraging Lightning Dust's at-all-costs competitive attitude before Rainbow told her just how high those costs were turning out to be.

I like this little facet of Spitfire's character. Oftentimes the role models of the Mane Six, like Celestia or Spitfire, are placed up on a pedestal, whereas the antagonists of the Mane Six are obvious ###### who you are happy to see dethroned. So it's nice to have instances where the Mane Six come to realize that sometimes even the ponies you look up to are still as flawed as you are, and that just because somepony's a role model doesn't mean you should just embrace everything they say or do. Sometimes you might even have to call them out when you catch them making a big mistake.

It especially makes sense for an athlete character like Rainbow Dash to learn this lesson, because in real life so many professional athletes who serve as role models for up-and-coming athletes end up getting into trouble outside of the competitive arena for one reason or another, and it's important to remember that a person's performance and ability on the field are not necessarily a reflection of their strength of character off the field. Spitfire's not a bad pony, but she's still a pony a lot like Rainbow Dash, and struggles with right or wrong in very similar ways.

EDIT: That filtered word is not a swear or anything, just a minor insult that is frustratingly still filtered.

My interpretation of the Wonderbolts is less analogous to athletes and more of a military flight team, like the Blue Angels or something (they did get sent against mega-Spike that one time). It didn't make sense to see them throw a teammate under the bus so that they could more easily make a goal they already had in the bag. But I suppose that's just one interpretation of their roles. If they are in fact more on the side of competition and athletics than whatever the Equestria equivalent of a military is, I can see their discipline being a little less strict.

(where are my 4DE Fluttershy plushies :[ )

OpAXNpl.jpg

If anyone here is interested, I recently started writing my own My Little Pony fanfiction over on FiMFiction.net. Considering the focus of this forum, I'm sure a lot of you may find it interesting.

LEGO Equestria Girls

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/166077/lego-equestria-girls

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

If anyone here is interested, I recently started writing my own My Little Pony fanfiction over on FiMFiction.net. Considering the focus of this forum, I'm sure a lot of you may find it interesting.

LEGO Equestria Girls

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/166077/lego-equestria-girls

I just finished all you have up so far. I didn't realize the fake crown was a LEGO part until your notice told me ... I feel stupid now. Anyway, the prologue was very well-written. I didn't find any spelling or grammar errors. You stay true to the actual film enough while adding interesting little bits, like at the end, that keep it interesting for people who've already seen it. I would have liked the prose to be used to reveal more that the film didn't, but then, it's just a prologue, so it's not a major problem. I did notice that the ponies are surprised when they learn the Elements of Harmony only work in complete unison, but they already knew that from the Discord episodes. Just a little nitpick, really. The other two chapters were excellent. You capture both the styles of LEGO and MLP. I also noticed the Clutch Powers influence very early on, it's well done.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I'm all caught up with ponies! Again!

(Couldn't miss Weird Al episode.)

(It was pretty good and also the one before it, yay Discord.)

My interpretation of the Wonderbolts is less analogous to athletes and more of a military flight team, like the Blue Angels or something (they did get sent against mega-Spike that one time). It didn't make sense to see them throw a teammate under the bus so that they could more easily make a goal they already had in the bag. But I suppose that's just one interpretation of their roles. If they are in fact more on the side of competition and athletics than whatever the Equestria equivalent of a military is, I can see their discipline being a little less strict.

(where are my 4DE Fluttershy plushies :[ )

I think they fill both roles. When you don't need a vehicle to fly, the line between "flight team" and "athlete" gets blurred. Even more so when you live in a fantasy world with little military activity (occasional incidents occur, but there's no outright warfare between nations). The Wonderbolts Derby from Sweet and Elite already suggested that the Wonderbolts were involved in sport as well as official events.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

It looks like it could be pretty awesome. I'm interested in how they're going to integrate Twilight Sparkle, since I'm thinking it's probably going to be the Equestria Girls universe's own Twilight Sparkle this time.

The song in the teaser seems a bit lacking in substance, but then again all we got to hear was the chorus. Hope there are lots of songs, and hope they are used to great storytelling effect.

so how about that

Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks teaser?

Like I said earlier, not sure if yay or nay. I don't want to judge it yet until we get more information or more substantial clips.

-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

A corrupted king.

An immortal sorceress, erased from history.

A queen avenging her own death.

A princess who wants nothing more than peace for her empire.

A war beyond anything their land has ever seen.

If any of this sounds interesting, I can give more details.

Edited by Cupcake Killer

Sounds like a mature Zelda.

.....wait, why I'm here?

I've never seen you before. What do you mean by a mature Zelda? :)

By that I mean a mature Zelda game.

You never saw me here because I mainly go to Games & trivia. Sometimes in storyline & theories.

Looks like it's the end of the line for 21.