Official My Little Pony topic

~Allegretto~

For anyone who hasn't heard yet, the Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks movie will start showing in certain theaters in late September, and will become available on DVD in late October just one month later. I personally don't go to theaters to watch anything (except the LEGO Movie), but at least it's nice to know that we don't have to wait much longer now.

September 27, to be exact.

Looks like it's the end of the line for 21.

they+havent+washed+their+pits+in+a+while

what were the animators thinking?

That Hasbro are going to pay them so much for this? I have absolutely no interest in EQG, so I can't work out what's good or bad at this point.

In other news, has anyone seen the official 3D printing project for fan-created models? Looks interesting, I just hope Hasbro gives a good portion of the high price points to the creators of the models. Link is here: http://www.superfanart.com/

what were the animators thinking?

I'm not sure what you mean at all, but I haven't watched that clip since I don't want any parts of the actual movie spoiled if I can avoid it. I enjoyed the original movie and the eight mini-movies leading up to the new one, though, and the character designs from the new movie look pretty good, so I have high hopes for Rainbow Rocks itself! Edited by Aanchir

So anyone else planning to attend BronyCon? I'll be there during the day on Saturday, taking the train up to Baltimore from BrickFair. It'd be awesome if I saw other BZPowerites there!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

So anyone else planning to attend BronyCon? I'll be there during the day on Saturday, taking the train up to Baltimore from BrickFair. It'd be awesome if I saw other BZPowerites there!

Don't know about BronyCon, but I'll be at GalaCon over here in Europe. :-)

Lucky you! I couldn't make it this year. :o

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Don't know about BronyCon, but I'll be at GalaCon over here in Europe. :-)

Lucky you! I couldn't make it this year. :o

There's always next year! ;-)

Anyway, I just got home from Ludwigsburg. It was awesome, dare I say so. I got some amazing swag, chatted with M.A. Larson and Nicole Oliver signed a print of mine with "To my faithful Student, (name)"! :-D Definitely worth all the traveling hassle and expenses.

• Upvote 1

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

Just came back from Bronycon yesterday! I handed out CDs of mt new EP (I ran out the first day!), hung out with many of my amazing musician friends and made some new friends along the way, and got my arm signed by 30 people (mostly the friends I've met and made), and got some awesome stuff at the vendor hall!

My only regret is not inquiring about a custom OC plush but luckily I ran into a guy in a hotel lobby who does that very thing so I'll contact him and see how that goes.

It was a VERY fun weekend for me and an amazing experience and I'll try to go next year if I can.

G A Y   A S   H E C K

Isn't MLP somewhat off topic, or is the excuse about why this topic is being discussed that Nokama did the voice(s) of characters in MPL?

There's a reason this topic is in the Completely Off Topic subforum. ^_^

I'm pretty bummed I couldn't make it to BronyCon this year due to BrickFair, but it sounds like next year they finally don't conflict! BrickFair VA 2015 takes place from July 29th - August 2nd, while BronyCon is the following weekend from August 7-9! If it's within my power (and vacation hours from work), you can bet your apples I'll be attending both.

I haven't been to a pony con since the fairly small and informal, but super fun Midwestria convention a few years back, so I'm pretty excited.

~ (A VTOAHMKEARH)

• Upvote 1

Just came back from Bronycon yesterday! I handed out CDs of mt new EP (I ran out the first day!), hung out with many of my amazing musician friends and made some new friends along the way, and got my arm signed by 30 people (mostly the friends I've met and made), and got some awesome stuff at the vendor hall!

My only regret is not inquiring about a custom OC plush but luckily I ran into a guy in a hotel lobby who does that very thing so I'll contact him and see how that goes.

It was a VERY fun weekend for me and an amazing experience and I'll try to go next year if I can.

I wish I had known what you'd looked like so I could greet you! I Streetpassed you on Saturday but I couldn't track you or anyone else I knew during my day there. I tweeted you to see if we could get in touch, but you probably didn't even know who I was so it probably just seemed creepy and awkward. It was pretty disappointed overall, since I didn't manage to attend a single panel due to misunderstandings and poor planning. I probably would've been better off staying at BrickFair all weekend, although at the very least I did leave with some cool merch.

Isn't MLP somewhat off topic, or is the excuse about why this topic is being discussed that Nokama did the voice(s) of characters in MPL?

There's a reason this topic is in the Completely Off Topic subforum. ^_^

I'm pretty bummed I couldn't make it to BronyCon this year due to BrickFair, but it sounds like next year they finally don't conflict! BrickFair VA 2015 takes place from July 29th - August 2nd, while BronyCon is the following weekend from August 7-9! If it's within my power (and vacation hours from work), you can bet your apples I'll be attending both.

I haven't been to a pony con since the fairly small and informal, but super fun Midwestria convention a few years back, so I'm pretty excited.

~ (A VTOAHMKEARH)

YES!!! I'll definitely try to attend both next year, so that I don't miss out on as much as I did this year.

I wish I had known what you'd looked like so I could greet you! I Streetpassed you on Saturday but I couldn't track you or anyone else I knew during my day there. I tweeted you to see if we could get in touch, but you probably didn't even know who I was so it probably just seemed creepy and awkward. It was pretty disappointed overall, since I didn't manage to attend a single panel due to misunderstandings and poor planning. I probably would've been better off staying at BrickFair all weekend, although at the very least I did leave with some cool merch.

I saw that you tweeted me but I didn't have much control over my own twitter since it was my boyfriend's phone. Besides, I was drifting around a lot with different groups of friends and was a bit hard to meet up with.

G A Y   A S   H E C K

I just now saw the "Battle of the Bands" short. I literally thought the Dazzlings were Monster High characters when I saw the thumbnail. Other than that, probably my favorite short, given the parallelism to "Helping Twilight Win the Crown." I feel like Hitler could have marched into that cafeteria and started singing, and everybody would go along with it.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

• 2 weeks later...

Back in February of this year, I had mentioned that I had started writing a MLP fanfiction of my own that I thought some people here might find interesting. Now, about eight months later, I am finally finished. For those of you who don't want to bother looking back a few pages to find the link I had posted, I'll just post it right here again.

LEGO Equestria Girls

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/166077/lego-equestria-girls

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

Back in February of this year, I had mentioned that I had started writing a MLP fanfiction of my own that I thought some people here might find interesting. Now, about eight months later, I am finally finished. For those of you who don't want to bother looking back a few pages to find the link I had posted, I'll just post it right here again.

LEGO Equestria Girls

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/166077/lego-equestria-girls

I look forward to reading it, from the description, it sounds like a good read. especially for MLP and LEGO lovers.

~UntitledModel_9.png.a8adc254dbd8da1586473030e7c7d30e.png~

I just now saw the "Battle of the Bands" short. I literally thought the Dazzlings were Monster High characters when I saw the thumbnail. Other than that, probably my favorite short, given the parallelism to "Helping Twilight Win the Crown." I feel like Hitler could have marched into that cafeteria and started singing, and everybody would go along with it.

don't give Hasbro ideas...

seriously, it's the wort thing you can do, seeing as they'll most likely take someone else's idea and reuse it as their own without giving credit,

kinda like they've been doing for the past almost-4 years now....

Edited by teslakana

seriously, it's the wort thing you can do, seeing as they'll most likely take someone else's idea and reuse it as their own without giving credit,

Errmmmm... examples? Because I think that's a pretty ridiculous claim. They've been inspired by the fandom in lots and lots of ways, but as far as I know none of the ideas they've used actually belonged to the fans, and none of them were ideas that could or should be credited to individuals.

It'd be like saying that the LEGO Group "stole" the ideas of LEGO Star Wars and LEGO Super Heroes because fans happened to make Star Wars and Super Hero MOCs and minifigures before they became official themes.

• Upvote 1

Errmmmm... examples? Because I think that's a pretty ridiculous claim. They've been inspired by the fandom in lots and lots of ways, but as far as I know none of the ideas they've used actually belonged to the fans, and none of them were ideas that could or should be credited to individuals.

It'd be like saying that the LEGO Group "stole" the ideas of LEGO Star Wars and LEGO Super Heroes because fans happened to make Star Wars and Super Hero MOCs and minifigures before they became official themes.

arrogance thy name is America...

What does that even mean...?

• Upvote 1

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

Excuse me, but arrogance is OUR word, thank you very much.

In all seriousness, you're being very vague. If you mean to say they're taking ideas from the fan community, the fact is that the community is so monumentally huge, it would be hard NOT to run across similar ideas while planning out canon.

If you mean they're taking ideas from other toy lines, they're likely to be purposefully doing that to match the competition.

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

well excuse me for liking other genres/series' that have even the slightest amounts of originality to them...

Dude, are you reading the same replies we are? We're not judging you or what you like, we're just trying to figure out what you're talking about. The only answers you've given to questions have been incredibly vague. So far, you've only told us:

1: You think Hasbro is taking ideas from other people. However, you haven't told us any actual examples of this, which makes it somewhat difficult to take your claim seriously.

2: You believe we're judging you for what you like. However, seeing as you haven't even told us any examples of WHAT you like, that idea is not even remotely possible. In addition, the only things we've asked or said have been for clarification on your original post.

Edited by Kung Fu Pyro

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

• 4 weeks later...

Just one week left to go before Rainbow Rocks arrives.

I've watched every sneak peek clip that has been released over the past month, and I have to say that I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie (despite the fact that I'll be waiting a little while for it to be available online, after it's done playing in theaters).

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

Anybody buy the new glitter blind bag ponies? I have Princess Twilight Sparkle, Diamong Mint, Junebug, Lotus Blossom (best background pony), and Flower Wishes.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Hello everyone. Just wanted to say hi to the local herd.

Oh, and also to shamelessly plug my crossover fanfic [link]. Just started it, but I won't bother continuing if nobody cares.

The reaction has been tepid so far, maybe you guys are a better audience for it.

See you guys around!

BZPRPG Profile: Vesun.

Subtlety is more powerful than strength.

Alright I'm legitimately looking forward to Rainbow Rocks, but I have to wait for the DVD release to see it...

It's weird, the first EqG movie was pretty bad, I'm not really that into ponies anymore, but... I still really want to see this movie. Like, I haven't been this stoked for anything pony since season two.

I just hope it isn't a musical.. Even though I'm pretty sure it is.

*pops in* Oh hi, didn't expect to be back.

I'll keep this short. I hopped on the Pony Train in 2011 and my favorite pony is Twilight (as if my picture didn't give it away). Thought the first Equestria Girls was meh, so I'm hoping DHX stepped up their game for Rainbow Rocks. Thought Season 3 was meh but I wanna rewatch it sometime to make sure that opinion didn't get tainted by the haters. That said, I'll keep in touch.

qs74.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Master Inika Presents: The Battle of Ponyville! The Equestrian Revolutionary Liberation Front mounts a daring offensive on the Princess Cadence's fortified capital while the Princess and her loyalists quickly muster their defenses.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

While I was at NYCC a couple weeks ago, the Daring Do Adventure Collection arrived at home, together with some other books I had preordered earlier in the year. Yesterday I finally managed to finish reading all three books! I'm going to write a spoiler-free review.

Presentation-wise, the box set is fantastic. The box itself is shaped like a treasure chest, and has elegantly tapered sides, ornate decorations, and a sturdy design with two ribbons to keep it from opening too wide. It holds the three books and the "false book" from the episode "Daring Don't" very securely. If future Daring Do books are released, it looks like the false book could be swapped out with up to two additional books. The bottom of the box (and instances throughout) identify the books as the three newest Daring Do books, published after those mentioned in the episodes "Read It and Weep" and "Daring Don't".

The "false book" is a fantastic replica of its appearance in the show, even if its perfectly flat spine makes it hard to confuse with a real book. It has a glossy finish on the outside. The Daring Do idol figurine is just an unprinted recolor of the Daring Do figurine from the My Little Pony miniatures collections and blind bags, but it still looks very nice. It is held in a small blister pack on a dark red backing card, ensuring that it stays fixed in the center of the box, and the blister pack hinges open so there's no need to deface it to access the figurine. The box is a bit big for a single figurine, so a more cynical person might see the mostly-empty "false book" as an excuse to make the box set appear to include more than it really does. But you could easily use it to hold other My Little Pony miniatures, or other treasures of your own.

The books themselves are also elegant as far as presentation is concerned. The box set includes three books: Daring Do and the Marked Thief of Marapore, Daring Do and the Eternal Flower, and Daring Do and the Forbidden City of Clouds. Herein lies my first real criticism — there is no obvious hint on the book covers to tell you which book to read first. The order does matter, since each book references the ones before it. Thankfully, inside each book is a list of "Other books by A.K. Yearling" which lists seven unpublished books and the three in this box set, in sequential order. But people not looking for this clue might end up reading the books out-of-order without realizing it.

The books are sturdily-bound hardcovers around 200 pages long. Each book has a differently-colored cover. The front cover features a full-color illustration mimicking the design of the Daring Do books in the show. The spine features the book title and printed clasps (I don't know if this is a proper bookbinding term) featuring Daring Do's cutie mark. The back cover features a description of the book, as you'd expect from a book of this sort. There is no dust jacket, but that's just as well because the covers are elegant enough without them.

Inside the cover of each book are some lovely endpapers featuring Daring's cutie mark, followed by yet another full-color illustration depicting a scene from the story. All the illustrations for these books (drawn by Franco Spagnolo, a professional illustrator and character designer) are extremely elegant and accurate to the visual style of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. My second criticism is that the beauty of these illustrations left me wanting more. Two illustrations per book, however elegant, felt like a bit of a tease! The illustrations are not 100% accurate to the text as far as certain colors are concerned, but they're still beautiful, and accurate to the spirit of the characters and stories, if not to all the details.

The pages themselves are decorated with motifs that suit the Daring Do adventure series, such as squiggly dotted lines and Daring's compass rose cutie mark on most of the pages, carvings like those on the edges of the "treasure chest" box at the beginning of each chapter, and Daring's face by each chapter header. The text is large enough that kids should be able to read it with ease, but the text itself is not at all "dumbed down" to cater to kids. Two pages into the first book, I came across the word "inimitable", and the same book is peppered with other complex vocabulary like "decennially", "pedagogue", and "somnambular". This means the books will also be a great learning experience for young and old readers alike, not just a fun series of stories.

In the back of each book, there is a glossary of characters, plants, artifacts, and miscellanea specific to the Daring Do stories. The back of the first book also features ten pages for the reader to make field notes and sketches from their own adventures. Like a lot of the activity pages in G.M. Berrow's other My Little Pony chapter books, I will not likely be making use of these. It pains me to mark a book that is not strictly an activity book in any way, and those times I have done so in the past have usually been followed by regret. But perhaps to others these pages won't feel quite so superfluous.

The stories are full of world-building for the universe of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and details on Daring Do's friends, foes, and previous adventures. They are not the easiest reads, due to all the lore and vocabulary, but they are exciting enough to make it worthwhile. Daring is well-written: definitely not a carbon copy of Rainbow Dash, but still a character Rainbow Dash could identify with and admire. Popular culture references (especially to the Indiana Jones franchise) and horse puns are of course present, but not so much that they become distracting or overwhelming. Best of all, the final book seems to set up for many future Daring Do adventures, which hopefully G.M. Berrow and "A.K. Yearling" will be bringing to us in the future!

Overall, I'm very glad that Little, Brown and Company has been such a fantastic partner to Hasbro. Every My Little Pony book they've published has been extremely elegant in terms of presentation, and this box set turns that elegance up to eleven. The quality of the stories is also fantastic. I thoroughly recommend this set to any fans of the My Little Pony franchise, particularly its adventure stories.

The biggest drawback is the price tag. The box set's RRP is $75 USD, an extraordinary sum for three adventures less than twenty chapters long — even in hardcover. That elegant presentation certainly isn't included for free. Thankfully, Barnes and Noble still has it on a considerable markdown, just as they did when I preordered it (the link at the top of this post goes to this site). If you still can't afford it now even at the discounted price, perhaps you might wait and see if the books are published individually or in paperback form in the future, or see if used copies become available at a lower price.

• Upvote 1

While I was at NYCC a couple weeks ago, the Daring Do Adventure Collection arrived at home, together with some other books I had preordered earlier in the year. Yesterday I finally managed to finish reading all three books! I'm going to write a spoiler-free review.

*SNIP*

Yeah, I've been meaning to get that. Maybe next month I'll get it from B&N since it's still considerably marked down. I looked at an unboxing real quick and the presentation on this set looks remarkable, just like the Elements of Harmony and Journal of the Two Sisters books (which is the reason I have those two physically while I got the other G.M. Barrow books off Google Play).

qs74.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched My Little Pony Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks yesterday. It was amazing! It started off at a brisk pace, not letting the exposition bog it down. The music was beautiful, the characterization was on point, the visuals were stunning, and there was no shortage of fun and excitement. The movie itself leaves me craving more adventures in the Equestria Girls universe, especially with the stinger at the end showing that there are still surprises in store that DON'T come from Equestria!

I got the soundtrack as soon as I finished watching it. I've been wanting to add new music to my iTunes library for a while, and this was a perfect opportunity.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, not a lot of activity in here...

So yeah. As Aanchir said, we got the Rainbow Rocks DVD, and a little over two weeks on it's still amazing. I liked the first Equestria Girls movie a lot, but it didn't leave me wanting more the way this one did. I hope they can tie things up nicely with a third movie next year, and then maybe transition into a full series? I certainly wouldn't mind if they could manage something ongoing that could help fill the gaps between seasons of regular pony.

Also, related to the above: I made a thing.

• Upvote 1