Official My Little Pony topic

~Allegretto~

• 1 month later...

Three things I would like to mention here...

1: My latest fanfiction, LEGO Equestria Girls 2, is now finished. For anyone interested in reading it, here's the link: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/245599/lego-equestria-girls-2

2: When I saw the Lego Dimensions trailer featuring the names of all the voice actors, I noticed one of the names was Tara Strong, who we know also voices Twilight Sparkle. Does anyone know which Lego character she'll be voicing in the game?

3: I'm surprised no one has commented on this topic in a while, because new episode are already resuming (one last Saturday, and another the week before). In addition to another new episode this coming Saturday, we will also see the third Equestria Girls movie, Friendship Games. I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

Tonight Channel 4 will be showing World of Weird, which features a segment about Bronies. I'm going to watch it and see what comes of it.

I may go and check it out, but I'm honestly not looking forward to it at all. Channel 4 usually isn't too great at these things and the fact they're trying to cover around 6 different subjects in an hour probably means that they'll just rush it and miss out key info. 

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

Twitter Flickr

OKAY so why is nobody here talking about FRIENDSHIP GAMES??? I just finally got around to watching it after recording it last Saturday!

It was good. Really good. I wouldn't put it on the same level as Rainbow Rocks, but that's only because the songs weren't quite as impressive (and there's not really anything they could do about that—the story of Rainbow Rocks just allowed for better music by being a movie with a focus on music itself). All things considered, it was everything I'd hoped for it to be, with a great story arc and excellent worldbuilding and lots and lots of good vibes all around.

Can't wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray release!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Finally got around to watching Horse People 3: Sports People today and generally enjoyed it. Probably not as good as Rainbow Rocks (which had more songs, and I think better ones on average). Still, a very good movie! I look forward to getting the Blu-Ray and seeing what scenes got cut in the American broadcast.

It was great to have a villain who wasn't an interloper from Equestria and wasn't scheming for world domination. It helps reinforce that ordinary selfishness can be just as harmful as megalomania if it gets taken too far. Before this movie, my brother had contemplated that without Celestia as a positive role model, the human Twilight's desire for knowledge could easily be manipulated by a negative role model, and it turns out that's exactly what happened. And I couldn't have asked for a better character than Principal Cinch to fill that role.

At the same time, it was good to have Dean Cadance and Shining Armor to help reinforce that not all Crystal Prep ponies are complete jerks. Just like Canterlot High, the school has good and bad elements. At Canterlot High in the previous movies, characters like Snips, Snails, Trixie, and Sunset Shimmer competed for social standing. At Crystal Prep, the students competed for academic standing, and the movie did a good job showing how that can be just as harmful if it drives a wedge between students.

Twilight herself was a lot more sympathetic than I expected. Just like Twilight at the beginning of MLP:FiM, friendship is the LAST thing on her mind, but unlike that Twilight, she seems to have a better sense that something's missing from her life. Again, this probably stems from her and the other students not having a positive role model like Princess Celestia to keep their thirst for knowledge in check. The human world's Twilight still excels at her studies, but instead of being confident, she's meek and easily intimidated by the other students around her.

It was a lot of fun playing "Where's Waldo" with the Crystal Prep students, since several of them were recognizable as ponies from Equestria like Trenderhoof and Suri Polomare. Admittedly, not quite as fun as it was with the Canterlot High ponies in some of the previous movies, since the non-competing Crystal Prep students all wore identical uniforms. When it comes out on DVD I will have to watch it a bit more carefully and see how many familiar faces I can spot.

The pacing of the movie was good, with the theft of the girls' magic being appropriately spread out so as to build suspense. Spike learning to talk was a nice touch. And Sunset's anger at Twilight for putting her friends in danger felt sincere and in-character. The final act was a lot of fun, with Midnight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer's magical form both seeming a lot more stylish than Sunset Shimmer's demon form from the first movie.

I suppose most future Equestria Girls adventures will focus on the human world's Twilight Sparkle instead of the pony world's Twilight Sparkle, which I'm more than OK with.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today is the 5th anniversary of when the show started, and there was also a new episode on today. In fact, I'd say that this particular episode was an excellent one to show on such a day like this.

Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle finally got their cutie marks!

Today is the 5th anniversary of when the show started, and there was also a new episode on today. In fact, I'd say that this particular episode was an excellent one to show on such a day like this.

Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle finally got their cutie marks!

Your right. That episode left me stupified/awestruck/astounded. (not sure which one I prefer)

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Loved the last episode. Loved it.  When I realized that the episode was a musical one, I kind of figured what would happen, but it was still surprising and emotional when it did. It certainly did not happen in the way I expected.

Good stuff.

I like how it was set up so you don't expect it to end that way. They put 2 special achievements in one episode.

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a horrible realization that I gave Double Rainboom too much credit. It's a disgusting, embarassing mess! Not even the animation can save it!

I think I may have hung out with bronies for too long since I've heard nothing but praise for it. What's wrong with the animation exactly?

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Yeah, that too. Then there's the, ah.... "crossover" part. I could understand if this was a "love letter" to the works of Craig McCracken and Lauren Faust, but that's not what it was advertised as! Just a "love letter" to MLP:FiM, nothing more!

Edited by CHTrilogy

~ CHTrilogy

I've had a horrible realization that I gave Double Rainboom too much credit. It's a disgusting, embarassing mess! Not even the animation can save it!

Well, I for one thought it was funny. Not every fan animation has to be something that takes itself seriously. I mean, it's not like anyone criticizes BZP Bionicle comedies for "flanderizing" Bionicle characters, because that's pretty much the entire point of most of those comedies in the first place.

• Upvote 1

I don't get it: why did they put the Christmas special before the Halloween special??

I only just realized that. Anyways, I really liked this episode.(I didn't know Angel could set up such a series of scary events)

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

I don't get it: why did they put the Christmas special before the Halloween special??

I don't have any idea, to be honest. Maybe so they can have it out on DVD before Christmas or something? I don't really keep track of the DVD releases except for the full season collections.

A similar thing happened in the very first season, with Winter Wrap-Up airing before Fall Weather Friends. That was maybe a bit less egregious since those episodes don't correspond to specific real-world holidays, but they do correspond to specific real-world seasons.

• 3 weeks later...

Finale tomorrow. Should be a good one.

I sure hope so. They've had so many other great episodes this season, I hope the finale is just as good.

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

The season finale was great, but high expectations partway through the episode led to me being mildly disappointed.

In particular, when I saw Twilight and Starlight go into STARLIGHT'S past, I foresaw a much different resolution to the conflict. Starlight had spent the entire episode trying to go back in time to ruin Twilight's friendship, when in fact the time travel spell would have easily allowed her to go back in time to save her OWN friendship. Twilight could have convinced Starlight to help her younger self understand that her friend getting his cutie mark didn't have to mean the end of their friendship, and it would have created much more suspense at the end—instead of going back to the present with the whole world back to normal, Twilight and Starlight would return to a present neither of them had ever known—possibly even a present where Twilight had ALREADY accepted Starlight as her pupil. Instead of Twilight and Starlight just becoming friends (a satisfactory ending, but one we'd seen before with Trixie and Sunset Shimmer among many other characters), it would have been far more interesting if the two discovered a future together where they'd never been enemies. And it would have reinforced the message that every friendship is important—if breaking Twilight's friendship apart had such negative effects on the future, what positive effects might repairing Starlight's friendship have had? Perhaps I should try to write that as a fanfiction...

• 4 weeks later...

Dang, it's been some time since I ever done anything here on BZP and the first thing I feel like talking about is MLP. For some reason EG:FG really got me hyped for season 6 (I just watched it a few days ago) and the fourth Equestria Girls installment. The suspense is killing me.

BTW I just watched Slice of Life and it blew my mind. Doctor Hooves, Derpy, Octavia, Vinyl, Lyra and Bon Non... everything!!! I fanboyed all the way. It's great to see Octavia and Vinyl being roommates canon. The Doctor Who and Back to the Future references completely caught me off guard.

Also, I remember someone here made a fanfic about the Doctor and Derpy over at FIMFiction around a year ago. I can't remember the title and who wrote it plus there's no way I'm going through 184 pages worth of fanfiction. I'm pretty sure Lyichir wrote it but I'm not entirely certain.

Edited by Kranalien

• 1 month later...

A few things I would like to mention here.

First, I've just started writing the latest story in my LEGO Equestria Girls fanfiction series, so here's a link if anyone is interested in reading it: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/313995/lego-equestria-girls-3

Second, a few weeks ago, I came across a fanmade pony video done in the style of a Lego stop-motion video: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2016/01/animation-my-lego-pony-dental-student.html

And finally, I've recently heard that Season 6 will begin sometime this spring, so we won't have to wait very long to see new episodes again.

• 1 month later...

Are there any people here who's going to a convention soon where Lee Tockar is gong to appear? If so, please, for the love of Unity, Duty, Destiny and Friendship, ask him to do the Makuta voice, and record and/or film it. Just... please.... :D

Just a geeky guy trying to learn the craft of writing stories.

• 2 weeks later...

Just so everyone is aware, the premier of season 6 will be on next Saturday on the 26th. Who else here is looking forward to it?

Mememememememememe!!!! Yeah, I'm TOTALLY looking forward to this. Can't wait.

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

I really enjoyed yesterday's premiere!

I definitely relate a lot to Sunburst. I went into my last school with extremely high hopes, but overall it was not a good experience and I left after one year. I feel extremely self-conscious when people I haven't seen in a long time ask me what I've been up to, and while I have enough going on in my life as a LEGO fan that I can sugar-coat things a bit ("Oh, I'm a news reporter for LEGO fansite, and I also write LEGO reviews for a blog, and last year I was invited to a LEGO recruitment workshop!"), I'm still hesitant to disappoint people by telling them I had to drop out of school and have yet to get a steady-paying job except through family connections.

Even Sunburst's somewhat disheveled appearance and disorganized living space hit home, and I'll admit it made me feel a lot better about myself to see an episode that reaffirmed that a person like that who never really did as well as people expected of them can still have a lot to offer. My brother says I should try cosplaying as Sunburst at BronyCon this year, and it is a neat prospect to consider!

Despite the subject of reuniting with old friends having been addressed before in "Amending Fences", a great episode in its own right, that episode didn't really touch on what it's like to have things you're ashamed or embarrassed to admit about your past. So this episode's friendship lesson still felt very novel. I feel like it's a lesson that's important for people of all ages, and I will try to keep it in mind the next time I have to reconnect with an old friend or acquaintance.

I'm still a bit curious how Starlight Glimmer will be able to fit into the existing cast dynamic. She has good on-screen chemistry with Twilight Sparkle, her teacher, and with Spike, for that matter. But we didn't get to see her interact much with the rest of the Mane Six. Ironically, considering the theme of equality that was so important to her in her debut appearance, she's now a decidedly unequal member of their friend group — the only one who hasn't been with them through thick and thin — and it'd be interesting to see how this season utilizes and accommodates for that. Obviously, however her role in the group is handled from here on out, she mustn't become the spotlight of every episode at the expense of the other cast members.

Anyway, those are my thoughts! Very glad My Little Pony is back, and excited for the rest of this season!

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...