How would you do a TV show/ Movie for 2001?

One thing I've wanted to do for many years is create a stop motion for 2001, although it may never come to pass I've always liked planning out how I'd do it. However one thing I struggle with is deciding where the focus should be. Takua has always been the main character of the first 3 years in my view, so I had tinkered with the idea of having the show focus more on him. The problem with this approach is it would mostly be a retread of MNOG but in third person. So then I thought of having the stories of the Toa and Takua running in tandem similar to how lord of the rings does it, however with so many things happening in 2001 it could become overstuffed, so I thought of setting it out more like a TV show such as Game of Thrones. This is currently how I'm trying to devise the story, with each episode being about 10-20 minutes and having about 6-10 episodes. But I do often flip-flop between how I think it should be handled.

How would you guys want to portray 2001? Would it be stronger focusing more on a character like Takua and having the Toa remain mysterious through dialogue and brief appearances like MNOG? How much of your own material would you add or would you remain completely faithful to the comics and games?

• Upvote 1

I used to do BIONICLE stop motion. I even did a full demo animation of Hewkii and Gadunka's fight from Downfall. It's pretty bad. I could never figure out how to get their feet off the floor without them falling over.

Anyway, for 2001, I think a Clone Wars style narrative would be best, since there was so much going on at once. Instead of having the entire series focus on a small group of main characters, episodes would alternate between the Toa and Matoran. Maybe have the first six episodes focus on Takua in an adaptation of Tales of the Tohunga, then alternate between episodes focusing in the Toa Mata, both alone and in groups, looking for the Masks (based on the comics and Tale of the Toa, and making up new stories to cover the masks that weren't detailed in either), and episodes based on MNOLG focusing on Takua. If filler was needed, throw in an episode based on the Challenge of the Rahi comic. The big question is how to do the climax: which version of the Manas fight to use? And how should the battles with the Shadow Toa and Teridax himself be handled? They're both canon, but the media we've seen uses either one or the other.

• Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

I think I'd actually start it right after tales of the tohunga, I see that story as more of a hobbit story in comparison to the rest of the year being more of a lord of the rings. I think it would be weird for Takua to lose his memory halfway through a series. I also think it's best discovering the world much the same way that the Toa and Takua are. I'dways stick to the MNOG depiction of the Makuta and Manas encounter but I don't mind either way when it comes to the shadow toa.

Edited by ToaFred
  • Upvote 1

Honestly? I wouldn't.

Make an open-world RPG with today's technology, spanning 2001-2003. Interactive media has been a core part of how Bionicle was shown to the fans from day 1, just think about how iconic MNOG is. A hands-off animation wouldn't have had that kind of power back then, nor would any other passive media have comparable power today.

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

That's very true, I feel the greatest tragedy in Bionicle was LOMN being cancelled. An open world Mata Nui would be amazing. But would you play as Toa or Takua? How would it work? I feel that collecting all 36 Kanohi (or 72 depending on your point of view) by swapping between Toa could work, each mask would be a mission only certain Toa could enter.

I would actually prefer animation to be done with 100% set accuracy, so either stop motion with actual sets or Ghost-style CGI (and this is coming from me, one of the most die-hard defenders of traditional animation).

I would also support a huge, all-encompassing 2001-2003 Mata Nui video game. Something like Sonic Adventure (separate selectable characters with their own individual, but connected, stories) but with more combat. All Toa Mata/Nuva playable, plus Takanuva, and maybe some key Matoran as DLC or something. They could remake Takua’s quests in Tales of the Tohunga and MNOLG, maybe Hahli’s MNOLGII adventure, and have Kolhii matches, all in full 3D. And have a playable version of Jaller and Takua’s search for Takanuva. Or maybe it would be better to have Takua and Takanuva be part of a single storyline. (Oh, and mask collecting should include Noble as well as Great, and there should also be a Makoki Stone collecting subplot, just to add to the immersive experience). With all the Kanohi, Makoki Stones, Krana and Kanohi Nuva, I guess it would be a huge collectathon, a genre that has gone somewhat out of favor, but again, there would be other gameplay aspects to give it some variety.

Anyway, this has gotten a bit off topic.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 2

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water