LEGO Reveals Overwatch Sets at BlizzCon

LEGO_Overwatch_Reveal_teaser.jpg

BlizzCon has kicked off at the Anaheim Convention Center in California, and as I'm posting this a LEGO Overwatch panel is getting underway there. Set designer Woon Tze Chee is revealing six new models and likely talking about the design process used to bring them to life. Additionally, the sets should also be available for preorder starting right now before they release officially on January 1, 2019. Fortunately for all of us who can't be at BlizzCon, LEGO has shared set images and details with BZPower! Read on to check them out and start deciding which (if any) are going on your LEGO wishlist!

View the full article

Missed the hype by like two years, but they actually look pretty nice. Might get some of them.

You could say the same thing about Minecraft when it first debuted (and in fact, many people did). And yet it went on to be a highly successful theme that has lasted over five years.

Modern video games tend to be a very different beast than movies when it comes to licensing, with the biggest success stories not always that predictable prior to release but often having a long "tail" (the persistence of a game's popularity after release), ESPECIALLY for games like Minecraft and Overwatch with both a robust multiplayer scene and a steady stream of new content and updates. As such, it's probably a safer strategy for a company like Lego to wait and see which games can maintain their popularity in the long term before jumping into a major licensing partnership.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Missed the hype by like two years, but they actually look pretty nice. Might get some of them.

You could say the same thing about Minecraft when it first debuted (and in fact, many people did). And yet it went on to be a highly successful theme that has lasted over five years.

Modern video games tend to be a very different beast than movies when it comes to licensing, with the biggest success stories not always that predictable prior to release but often having a long "tail" (the persistence of a game's popularity after release), ESPECIALLY for games like Minecraft and Overwatch with both a robust multiplayer scene and a steady stream of new content and updates. As such, it's probably a safer strategy for a company like Lego to wait and see which games can maintain their popularity in the long term before jumping into a major licensing partnership.

I wasn't saying they aren't going to sell well, just that there's not as much hype for them.

The sets themselves look meh. They capture some nice parts of some of the features of the in-game maps or cut scenes, but nothing I would personally buy myself. I relly love the Minifigures. Those look amazing. I think I'll just bricklink them all.