Could G3 be coming soon?

After reading all the posts here, I would agree with those saying G3 is a definitive possibility for the future, but not now.

However, I honestly hope for special 20th anniversary sets in 2021 if there is no G3 at that time.

Same here (I would also like to think about Bionicle having its own “Legacy” sets, like Ninjago, where the sea are modernized versions of the past sets extremely accurately) or a re-continuation of G1 (for a year or a half of the year) and/or a re-continuation of G2 (for a year) to finally finish their stories would be super-nice (or at least the stories somehow. I can’t stand unresolved stuff and cliffhangers). Seriously. It’s best to do those before doing a new story. Look at how Samurai Jack and Hey Arnold happened. That could be possible if you know what I mean. You can’t leave stories unfinished forever. I emailed Lego about my ideas. They haven’t said anything for two weeks.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Assuming such a thing were possible, I wouldn't trust them with Bionicle again after how badly they squandered G2 and beat the brand further into the ground. 

Unless, however, the original minds behind (and/or fans of) G1 were to come back with a genuine idea and passion. That could be something. 

I'm sure the team behind G2 just LOVE being told constantly by people who had absolutely nothing to do with its creation that their """lack of passion for it""" was the reason it failed.

The community doesn't deserve a G3 after how its treated the G2 team.

• Upvote 1

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

Assuming such a thing were possible, I wouldn't trust them with Bionicle again after how badly they squandered G2 and beat the brand further into the ground. 

Unless, however, the original minds behind (and/or fans of) G1 were to come back with a genuine idea and passion. That could be something. 

I'm sure the team behind G2 just LOVE being told constantly by people who had absolutely nothing to do with its creation that their """lack of passion for it""" was the reason it failed.

The community doesn't deserve a G3 after how its treated the G2 team.

Yes.

RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu

It's extremely disheartening to see this kind of misinformation so prevalent. G2 was definitely a passion project - just look at the artbook - and it selling poorly due to unideal marketing doesn't equal "squandering". 

Absolutely hollering at the idea that somehow the "fans of G1" could do a better job than the professionals who worked on G2. The state of this.

Please no.

Stances like this really miff me. If you don't want G3 but G3 happens, just ignore it. If a chunk of the community does want G3, why wish to deprive them of it simply because of cynicism? I for one hold out a great deal of hope that Bionicle isn't finished and it will come back sometime in the future. 

:kakama: 

• Upvote 3

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

ooooooooor maybe we should give them the benefit of the doubt until they PROVE they can't do Bionicle justice? They screwed up G2 bad but that wasn't for lack of trying, it was a matter of poor resource allocation, which some speculate was caused by having to un-cancel Ninjago at the last minute.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

In one hand, we have the 20th years of Bionicle, a unique opportunity to make a pretty nice collection with the most popular bionicle sets, or an the conclution of G1. But un the other hand, lego had the option to launch a G3, and probably make angry some fans forever

In one hand, we have the 20th years of Bionicle, a unique opportunity to make a pretty nice collection with the most popular bionicle sets, or an the conclution of G1. But un the other hand, lego had the option to launch a G3, and probably make angry some fans forever

I assure you, if they do G3 right and promote it well, the angry fans will be a minority. And a G1 continuation would never work unless it was set looooong after the line's original ending so it could effectively act as a fresh start.

• Upvote 1

I assure you, if they do G3 right and promote it well, the angry fans will be a minority. And a G1 continuation would never work unless it was set looooong after the line's original ending so it could effectively act as a fresh start.

Maybe a retelling of the stuff that got unresolved and then resolved them. That could work, wouldn’t it? It worked on Hey Arnold in 2017 after years of absence.:)

Maybe a retelling of the stuff that got unresolved and then resolved them. That could work, wouldn’t it? It worked on Hey Arnold in 2017 after years of absence. :)

Not sure what you mean, but anything that leans on the existing lore and story as much as resolving the loose ends of G1 is a big no-no. The line needs to feel like it's starting from the beginning, and it shouldn't have an encyclopedia's worth of lore when it's only just starting out. Any references to unfinished arcs should just be something in passing--characters who were there and make a cameo or act as supporting characters mention "that one time when" and how that all got sorted out; or it's referenced as a minor plot point. Nothing that would necessitate understanding so much of G1 to understand. Something like NickOnAquaMagna's Nova Orbis series (NICK, IF YOU'RE READING THIS, I WILL SACRIFICE MY FIRSTBORN IF YOU'LL FINISH IT) is a good example--it can stand on its own and doesn't require G1's lore to be comprehended, but it also calls back to stuff long-time fans will be familiar with and know more about.

• Upvote 1

Maybe a retelling of the stuff that got unresolved and then resolved them. That could work, wouldn’t it? It worked on Hey Arnold in 2017 after years of absence. :)

Not sure what you mean, but anything that leans on the existing lore and story as much as resolving the loose ends of G1 is a big no-no. The line needs to feel like it's starting from the beginning, and it shouldn't have an encyclopedia's worth of lore when it's only just starting out. Any references to unfinished arcs should just be something in passing--characters who were there and make a cameo or act as supporting characters mention "that one time when" and how that all got sorted out; or it's referenced as a minor plot point. Nothing that would necessitate understanding so much of G1 to understand. Something like NickOnAquaMagna's Nova Orbis series (NICK, IF YOU'RE READING THIS, I WILL SACRIFICE MY FIRSTBORN IF YOU'LL FINISH IT) is a good example--it can stand on its own and doesn't require G1's lore to be comprehended, but it also calls back to stuff long-time fans will be familiar with and know more about.

Let me clarify: In Hey Arnold, which is a TV show, it ended with a cliffhanger with the unresolved stuff in 2004. In 2017, the show continued and probably concluded with a TV movie called Hey Arnold: The Jungle Movie, where the stuff are resolved finally. This is a conclusion that fans wanted for years. If you look at Samurai Jack, same scenario, but with a Season 5 in 2017, where the story is finally finished as well. However, unlike the The Jungle Movie, which just shows achieved footages of the past Hey Arnold seasons, Samurai Jack’s Season 5 is a loose continuation that started with Jack being an armored warrior rather than a robed Samurai with a sword. Then, in the middle of the season, there are remastered versions of scenes from the show’s past seasons. People loved how these things happened, so if Bionicle G1 were to continue and have a conclusion that we always wanted for years. It’s gotta first talk about Spherus Magna’s history with the Shattering, The Matoran Universe’s Creation, and Mata Nui repairing the planet and then have people from both worlds live together in peace and look for the Great Beings. That’s the premise, and then it would retell the unfinished serials’ stories and then continue on from there and put some surprises before finishing the story finally to get things over with. It would be sort of like Ninjago’s Rebooted Season for how it started as a loose continuation. You could say the same to the Ghostbusters movie series’ third film coming soon. We had the Bionicle G2, but it can be set aside, in other words. Ghostbusters never gave a sequel to the 2016 reboot because it’s inferior to the original series, so it’s necessary to do a loose continuation on the G1 to start with a loose continuation. I am sure fans would love to look at that. You get what I’m talking about. I’m saying it possible. I would at least have Bionicle G1’s story being continued in at least in an online story or two, like the serials, for eveybody’s convenience.

Let me clarify: In Hey Arnold, which is a TV show, it ended with a cliffhanger with the unresolved stuff in 2004. In 2017, the show continued and probably concluded with a TV movie called Hey Arnold: The Jungle Movie, where the stuff are resolved finally. This is a conclusion that fans wanted for years. If you look at Samurai Jack, same scenario, but with a Season 5 in 2017, where the story is finally finished as well. However, unlike the The Jungle Movie, which just shows achieved footages of the past Hey Arnold seasons, Samurai Jack’s Season 5 is a loose continuation that started with Jack being an armored warrior rather than a robed Samurai with a sword. Then, in the middle of the season, there are remastered versions of scenes from the show’s past seasons. People loved how these things happened, so if Bionicle G1 were to continue and have a conclusion that we always wanted for years. It’s gotta first talk about Spherus Magna’s history with the Shattering, The Matoran Universe’s Creation, and Mata Nui repairing the planet and then have people from both worlds live together in peace and look for the Great Beings. That’s the premise, and then it would retell the unfinished serials’ stories and then continue on from there and put some surprises before finishing the story finally to get things over with. It would be sort of like Ninjago’s Rebooted Season for how it started as a loose continuation. You could say the same to the Ghostbusters movie series’ third film coming soon. We had the Bionicle G2, but it can be set aside, in other words. Ghostbusters never gave a sequel to the 2016 reboot because it’s inferior to the original series, so it’s necessary to do a loose continuation on the G1 to start with a loose continuation. I am sure fans would love to look at that. You get what I’m talking about. I’m saying it possible. I would at least have Bionicle G1’s story being continued in at least in an online story or two, like the serials, for eveybody’s convenience.

1. Hey Arnold and Samurai Jack didn't need an encyclopedia after only 5 years of lore and story, and an update to that after 2 more years. You don't need a bloody degree to understand everything that happened, and their stories weren't delivered primarily through supplementary material. What works for those cartoons could never work for G1, just picking up where they left off.

2. So, yeah, you're pretty much saying to do what I'm saying is a horrible idea: making G3 an immediate continuation of G1 that starts off tying up loose ends. That'll never work because new fans will have to read a crapton of lore and history just to get a sense of what's going on, and they'll have to keep that in their head going forward. Finishing up the online serials with supplementary stuff for veteran fans is one thing, but to devote the main storyline of G3 to continuing G1 in that way would just kill Bionicle all over again. You're right--I would love to see G1's many holes, open ends, and conundrums resolved. But I'm not Lego's target audience. To stay afloat, Bionicle needs new converts, and for that, it needs a fresh start. Let G1 be ancient history. Let its many plot threads and characters be supplementary lore for fans who are really interested, and let the basic synopsis be G3's equivalent of the Mata Nui creation myth. Maybe even release some "legacy" sets and stories down the line to ease fans into the notion that there's actually a lot to the lore if they're interested. But designing it around G1 is a path to destruction.

G1 needs to be left alone. There may be unresolved plotthreads but at this point too much time has passed and there is too much baggage. Trying to emulate something that worked over 10 years ago rarely works currently. I'm holding out hope for G3 but I sure hope it will be a separate continuity with nods to the originals. Keep the elements, keep the names (of the Toa at least), keep masks being a central element, but everything else can be new and different. 

:kakama: 

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Technically, I believe that Lego could do this: It would let new fans see G3 as sets and it’s own universe that captures G1 likeness and nostalgia while the old fans see G1’s and G2’s stories through online only and have them finished (get them over with in a few months. Seriously. I wanna see Velika and other bad guys stopped and and the mystery of the G1 Vahi be revealed). That there is a compromise. No new fan would get confused. Sometimes, I believe new fans don’t understand how to read online stories nowadays, anyway. Sounds like a good idea? It worked for Samurai Jack and Hey Arnold, as they were continued and conclude in their channels’ late night blocks. SJ was continued and finished in Cartoon Network’s late night black called Adult Swim to please old fans because new fans wouldn’t understand what’s going on in the past if Season 5 were to be played on CN itself in mornings. Same goes to Hey Arnold, as its TV Movie was played in Nickelodeon’s late night block called Nick at Nite to please old fans because new fans would probably get confused if the TV movie were to be in Nick itself during a morning. Lego should really consider this. We all need that magic back while new fans can be interested in the new stories to stabilize and keep Bionicle famous and its legacy. Bionicle should have this kind of respect, like Transformers, Batman, and Spider-Man.

Edited by Lenny7092

This popped up on Christian Faber's instagram. Granted, it could be an April Fool's joke, but I'll post it anyways.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvuSFY2Hr1_/

This was also posted on his instagram on New Years:

https://i.redd.it/2etto4l31sp21.jpg

The top one looks like a mix of Bionicle, Hero Factory, RoboRiders, and Slizers/Throwbots. I hope it’s a continuation of all of the G1s’ stories, which are all unfinished, and it may look like their cinematic universe together if you know what I mean. I hope this isn’t a reboot or a new theme because I want the original stories to be finished before we could move on. Well, I did say to Lego through the email that they should consider these ideas for the sake of us. Plus, it says 2020. Usually, upcoming sets appear in pictures in the summer, but I hope this isn’t an April Fools joke. I need at least Bionicle G1’s continuation and the revival of constraction in my life. I don’t wanna get my hopes too high, though. Edited by Lenny7092

This popped up on Christian Faber's instagram. Granted, it could be an April Fool's joke, but I'll post it anyways.

Anything posted on April 1st is probably not legit. The only way it would be is if it was a devious attempt to mask a real leak as a joke to build hype when it turns out to be real, but that doesn't sound like an effective strategy. Sabaton waited until today to announce their new concept album for this reason.

Anything posted on April 1st is probably not legit. The only way it would be is if it was a devious attempt to mask a real leak as a joke to build hype when it turns out to be real, but that doesn't sound like an effective strategy.

He's just posted another part of the same image. Given that April 1st was now days ago, this has to be real, whatever it is.

Edited by Sir Kohran

Anything posted on April 1st is probably not legit. The only way it would be is if it was a devious attempt to mask a real leak as a joke to build hype when it turns out to be real, but that doesn't sound like an effective strategy.

He's just posted another part of the same image. Given that April 1st was now days ago, this has to be real, whatever it is.

Yeah, the discussion in the "310" thread led me to think that something deeper might be going on. Faber says he did it on that day so he could claim it was a joke if he got a negative response; but he didn't, so now he's going to make some sort of move. What that entails is unclear, but we'll probably see within the next couple of weeks or so.

Yeah, the discussion in the "310" thread led me to think that something deeper might be going on. Faber says he did it on that day so he could claim it was a joke if he got a negative response; but he didn't, so now he's going to make some sort of move. What that entails is unclear, but we'll probably see within the next couple of weeks or so.

Well, he did put a picture that says “ON”. Quite suspicious, don’t you this?

Not to mention his comments accompanying the pics: 

with the "3IO" pic he said "What if there is an undiscovered way back?. A secret path to reset destiny. How many of you would join? #14B2020 The wave of inspiration from one single post is totally amazing. You are the best! This is all the fuel anybody could wish for!!!"

with the "ON" he put "Amazing!!! There is only one thing to do after that responce. This project is “ON” from my side and now comes the hard part and the leap of faith and airtime untill it takes the right shape. #14b2020"

Those comments are also suspect with their wording, the hashtag is curious...

Edited by Ameritius
  • Upvote 1

That's exactly what Kohran said. I was responding to that.

Not to mention his comments accompanying the pics: 

with the "3IO" pic he said "What if there is an undiscovered way back?. A secret path to reset destiny. How many of you would join? #14B2020 The wave of inspiration from one single post is totally amazing. You are the best! This is all the fuel anybody could wish for!!!"

with the "ON" he put "Amazing!!! There is only one thing to do after that responce. This project is “ON” from my side and now comes the hard part and the leap of faith and airtime untill it takes the right shape. #14b2020"

Those comments are also suspect with their wording, the hashtag is curious...

Amazing!!! There is only one thing to do after that responce. This project is “ON” from my side and now comes the hard part and the leap of faith and airtime untill it takes the right shape. #14b2020

It's possible that Faber plans some kind of spinoff of G1 where the timeline is literally reset in some way. If it is, that could be some plot twist for late in the story, a la "God was a giant robot and also the universe the whole time."

They should bring G1 back.

Agreed. Lego and FF should consider that. I emailed Lego about it. I mean, G2 is less great. Too short, too. G1 is much better, and its story has to be finished finally (at least in online for the sake of G1 fans). Fortunately, Hey Arnold and Samurai Jack got their stories finished in 2017 after 13 years of absence, and the original Ghostbusters movie series is getting a third movie rather than letting the reboot get a sequel for now, so I believe that could be possible. Classics are better, too.

As much as it was liked, Bionicle G1 was a stroke of luck with good sets, lot of books and mass marketing when kids were reading books. This new age main audience of kids are video games and social media.

It will be hard to get people to notice Bionicle as a big player in toy industry compared to star wars pokemon and other toys.

qs3135.jpg

They should bring G1 back.

1. The story was largely finished so it can't be easily continued.

2. If Lego wanted to continue it they probably would've done years ago.

3. Adding new story to a story that was already complicated will make the complication problem even worse.

4. Today's kids weren't even alive for it so for them it wouldn't be a 'return' as they wouldn't recognise it.

5. The people who would recognise it are now adults who mostly aren't interested in Lego toys anymore.

Let it rest.

• Upvote 5

Adapt G1 as a highly profitable story-driven gacha game to run alongside a critically-acclaimed TV series adapting G2 and Faber spitballing G3 ideas on instagram alongside food pics and increasingly bizarre Rebel Nature teasers.

Really curious whether Rebel Nature is just going to be stuck in development hel forever. There was a mobile game that was supposed to come out like 3 years ago.

Edited by electrodude

It's all ogre now

G2 could actually be continued pretty well, but would have to raise the level of story complexity quite a bit and would probably involve the Shadow dimension and various other unexplained lose ends such as the Vahi, and key words in sentences that suggested something much larger was planned for the story before it was ended prematurely (notice how Makuta referenced gods in a manner indicating they existed somehow in JTO? Or the unexplained temple of light? What happened to the Okotans that were transported to the shadow realm with the city? Does the Vahi have any connections to G1, where did it come from and how did Ekimu get it? What else is in the shadow realm? Is there a temple of shadow? Since there’s also the temple of time, are there other temples for other things, and do the “gods” have anything to do with this? The list goes on.). Also, the G2 art book is an absolute goldmine for story concepts that would be pretty awesome.

Edited by bizfig