The BZPower Fanfic Exchange 2018

Tufi Piyufi

Sometimes, it's easier to do things for others than it is to do them for yourself. You might have a thousand ideas bouncing around in your head that you'll "eventually" get around to writing, but if somebody gives you a prompt? Now we're cooking. And when the gifts are flying all over the place, it feels even better. That's the BZPower Fanfic Exchange 2018.

It's the same idea as last time:

Half the fun is in the surprise, so don't reveal who you're writing for until the end! Another part of the fun is in the constraction set you get for completing your end of the deal. We'll have more details on that closer to the end.

You'll have until November 30 to sign up, guaranteeing you will have absolutely no new writing obligations until November ends. I'll match you up by December 7 (if I don't finish before then), and no matter what, you'll have all the way until January 20 to write. Starting on January 21 and going for the whole week, you can start posting your stories for all to see! IF you have any concerns that you might not make it for the week of January 21, please let me know as soon as possible so I know you'll be a bit late.

The following members currently owe stories to their 2017 recipients and cannot participate in this exchange:

• Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva)
  • A*Person
  • AZBlue
  • Rove Random
So come on and sign up - join the party!

Rules

1) All stories must follow the BZPower Rules & Guidelines.. Inappropriate or offensive stories will be reprimanded.

2) Bionicle stories and prompts only, please - remember, they're the greatest gift of all! Though this topic is in Short Stories, they can be for any of the subforums (though if you're wild enough to write a full-blown epic, please see rule 5.)

3) If, for whatever reason, you think you might be late or unable to submit a gift, let me know! We can sort through just about anything as long as I know you need a little help. Just leaving your giftee hanging, however, is inadvisable and will carry consequences for you.

4) When posting your story, don't forget to say who it's for! Detective work is not a traditional element of the fanfic exchange.

5) Please don't overextend yourself; a nice short story is fine. At the same time, please make sure your gift is more than a couple of paragraphs. If a prompt really calls to you and you won't be satisfied until you write a whole epic from it, please have at least a first chapter ready to go for January 21st. You'll be able to post the rest at your own pace after that.

Schedule

You will have from now November 30 to sign up for the exchange.

Matches will be sent out December 7.

You will have from December 7 to January 20 to write and finish your stories.

Midpoint check-in is December 29; let me know what you're writing, or if you need help.

After January 21, post your stories! Please try to have them posted between January 21 and January 28, or let me know if you won't be able to get on BZP during that time. In that case, I'll send your story to your giftee so they'll be able to read their gift along with everybody else. (You'll have to send your story to me to make sure that happens, though.)

Prizes

Successfully fulfilling your part of the exchange means you get a select constraction set of your choice. More details will be available in January. Thanks to LEGO for the vast bounty of sets!

Exchange Runner

Tufi Piyufi

Go on and have fun!

• Upvote 4
Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

I'm interested, but it's been far too long since I last wrote seriously in the Bionicle fandom - I wouldn't even know where to begin. Still... it might be good to stretch my writing muscles in a bit more unusual of a direction, to challenge myself.

I'm gonna give it some more thought before I commit.

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

I did it.  My submission form was kinda simple, so whoever gets to write for me, go nuts.

In the meantime, I'll just warm up my writing muscles.

I haven’t written anything Bionicle in at least two years, maybe even longer, but I’ve been feeling nostalgic recently and I’ve been in a writing mood. I can’t promise I will produce anything of decent quality, but I will do my best.

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

Submitted my form yesterday.

I don't remember too much of what I filled in last year, but I want to try writing something different from what I ended up doing then. Either way, I hope I can make something special for my match!

- Bionicle Fan since 2002

- Former Lego Universe Alpha/Beta Tester

- Owner of The AGL Group

Hey, so I finally submitted my entry.

I admit I was somewhat hesitant at first, I mean this is my first time entering a contest like this both on BZP and in real life. I’m not even much of an experienced writer.

Nevertheless, I’ll try to give this my best shot!

Edited*

Edited by Glimmer

And I just joined up, after all. Short Stories aren't really a medium I have much experience with, but I'm prepared to do the best I can ^^

What's the approximate recommended length for one of these, by the way? I tend to get long in my writing, whether I want to or not; so I guess what I'm asking is, how long would be 'too long' for it to count as a short story? Thanks in advance ^^

For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Awsome! time to sign up again! hopefully I actually receive my fan-fiction gift this time XD

Here's hoping...

I was wondering what was going to happen with participants that didn't hold up their end of the exchange, and I think they've handled it (and the handful of other tweaks from last year, such as giving a more convenient time-frame for writing and submitting) pretty well.

I have a feeling that this year's exchange will go really well!

• Upvote 1

- Bionicle Fan since 2002

- Former Lego Universe Alpha/Beta Tester

- Owner of The AGL Group

I think I submitted my entry, but my WiFi has been an absolute mess as of late. Is there a way to confirm that I am in?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

And I just joined up, after all. Short Stories aren't really a medium I have much experience with, but I'm prepared to do the best I can ^^

What's the approximate recommended length for one of these, by the way? I tend to get long in my writing, whether I want to or not; so I guess what I'm asking is, how long would be 'too long' for it to count as a short story? Thanks in advance ^^

Honestly, it's whatever you feel confident you can have finished by the time the stories get posted. If you do find yourself racking up the words with no end in sight but a looming deadline, then go ahead and post a Part 1 for the reveal.

Awsome! time to sign up again! hopefully I actually receive my fan-fiction gift this time XD

Here's hoping...

I was wondering what was going to happen with participants that didn't hold up their end of the exchange, and I think they've handled it (and the handful of other tweaks from last year, such as giving a more convenient time-frame for writing and submitting) pretty well.

I have a feeling that this year's exchange will go really well!

I'm thinking about some ways to get the people who missed out on their stories last time caught up, though that probably won't be announced until late in the exchange (don't want to distract anyone from their assignments for this year, of course).

I think I submitted my entry, but my WiFi has been an absolute mess as of late. Is there a way to confirm that I am in?

You're in!
  • Upvote 1
Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

• 2 weeks later...

I... have another question. (Thanks for the reply on the previous one, by the way! ^^)

What if, once the fic is written and posted, the recipient doesn't actually like it? Would the gifter have to take it back and make a different one in replacement?

Edited by Darth Jaller

For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

I... have another question. (Thanks for the reply on the previous one, by the way! ^^)

What if, once the fic is written and posted, the recipient doesn't actually like it? Would the gifter have to take it back and make a different one in replacement?

I've never heard of any fanfic exchanges requiring rewrites for recipients who didn't like their gift. "It's the thought that counts" and all that.

• Upvote 1

Stories I wrote

Parts of a Whole Series: An Alternate Ending

Part 1: Fight for Freedom                        Wisps of Memory

Part 2: Army of One (In Progress)

Short Stories:
The Great Takara          
Tale of the Toa Stones          Masks

I've never heard of any fanfic exchanges requiring rewrites for recipients who didn't like their gift. "It's the thought that counts" and all that.

Okay, that makes sense! This is just my first time taking part in one of these; so I wanted to make sure.

Thanks! ^^

For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

shouldn't the matches have been sent out today?

They will probably go out within 24 hours. Tufi is probably just busy with holidays.

It's been 48 hours now, I think it's time to RIOT

Shut down the factories! The Turaga have kept us in the dark about our matches!

Until then, no one is doing any more work. Metru Nui was in ruins for a thousand years... another thousand won't hurt.

/s I'm just really excited, I know what it's like to have a busy holiday leadup.

Edited by ArchAngelleofJustice
  • Upvote 2

Stories I wrote

Short Stories:
The Great Takara          

Shut down the factories! The Turaga have kept us in the dark about our matches!

Until then, no one is doing any more work. Metru Nui was in ruins for a thousand years...another thousand won't hurt.

/s I'm just really excited, I know what it's like to have a busy holiday leadup.

Haha, just take it easy, tiger.

I was waiting for my new computer to arrive anyway, I wouldn't mind waiting a little longer.

Oh wow, I love the prompt I've received... I wasn't sure what to expect, going into this, but the one I got feels like such a perfect one for me :D It'll take a few days for me to start, just because I've got another (non-BZP) project part that I need to finish that's due much sooner; but I'm definitely looking forward to working on this!

For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

I've got mine. Desperately trying to come up with a good idea I think my giftee will like.

Stories I wrote

Short Stories:
The Great Takara          

Well my prompt is very open ended but at the same time is on a topic I’m not familiar with, so looks like I need to get some research done tomorrow

I've got mine. Desperately trying to come up with a good idea I think my giftee will like.

I'm in a very similar situation. Obviously my giftee knows a lot more about the lore than I do XD

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClo2J14RKmVtcnoJTv7g6PA , Bionicle films coming soon!

I've got mine. Definitely was not what I was expecting, but it will challenge me in a good way. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?