How long can Ga-Matoran hold their breath?

Do we have any canon info that might indicate a time-range?

I'd imagine there'd be a distribution in the times that specific Matoran, not just Ga-Matoran, could hold their breaths for, as evidenced by Taipu being stronger than other Onu-Matoran. Presumably it's variation in organic components which can be trained, and we know that Toa and Matoran have organic lungs so it's plausible.

I also remember reading that someone here got the impression that regular Matoran could hold their breaths for a bit longer than humans. I don't know about those sources per se, but if anyone knows any please let us know.

It seems that the average time a human adult can hold their breath is somewhere between 1-2 minutes (a quick look didn't yield a more specific number, but it's probably out there for anyone who wants to search more). It seems like most people can fairly reliably train to go to like 4-5 minutes, pro divers can usually do like 10, and the current World Record is astonishing 22 minutes and 22 seconds set by German freediver Tom Sietas in 2012.

My current headcanon on time ranges is:

3 min for average Matoran / Toa

15 min for average Ga-Matoran / Ga-Toa

30-40 min for trained Ga-Matoran / Ga-Toa, i.e. fisherwomen etc.

1hr as the extreme pinnacle of what Ga-Matoran / Toa can do.

Obviously all of these times go down if the diver is having to do any form of exercise. 

I'd love to read your thoughts on the matter, and any canon evidence you can bring forward :)

Edited by NuvaTube

In Voyage of Fear, Nokama dives into the water ahead of the Lhikan and her fellow Toa to scout out the way. Nuju was the only one to know she left, and when he's confronted about Nokama's lack of presence, he implies that it's been several minutes. When the narrative catches up with Nokama a bit later, she's still underwater. I'd imagine that, given the length of time it would take for certain discussions to have progressed in a natural manner, it was at least 15 minutes, so I'd say you're not far off. Sadly, I can't think of any other examples outside of someone using a Kaukau. 

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Well, next time someone plays MNOGII we just need to time how long Hahli can stay underwater without the use of an Air Bladder. [...] :P

I haven't played it for a week or so, but I'm very sure she stays there longer with training, further resembling reality and accommodating NuvaTube's suggestions.

I'm Vrokdann in Skyrise: Ascent, and Luntep in the BZPRPG.

[sigfig in tunnel]

My profile pic's a cool little thing I made called Bettani. That thing up there's just a me inside a tunnel.

Well, next time someone plays MNOGII we just need to time how long Hahli can stay underwater without the use of an Air Bladder. [...] :P

I haven't played it for a week or so, but I'm very sure she stays there longer with training, further resembling reality and accommodating NuvaTube's suggestions.

Unless Greg says otherwise, that game is probably the best canon indication we have at this time.

Then again, in the first game, Takua can potentially spend the rest of his life underwater.

• Upvote 2

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water