Can Ta-Matoran and Su-Matoran survive lava?

As the title said, can Ta-Matoran and Su-Matoran survive lava? It may be a silly question, as I apologize for if need be, but those Matoran types can resist to heat, so that’s why I asked. Plus, Jaller once said in a comic book with the Toa Inika fighting Vezon that he could jump into the lava to get the Mask of Life, as if it is like a swimming pool to him.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Matoran, maybe... while they do have a higher resistance to extreme temperatures, I imagine there's a limit to just how long that resistance can hold out before it starts affecting their bodies. After all, resistance doesn't always mean they'd be completely impervious to it, much like how we keep going in lower or higher temperatures for a while before it starts taking a toll our bodies.

As for what Jaller said, I'd say that's because Toa are more likely to be able to do so, what with them having full control over their powers and they likely get a boost to the resistance to their element when they transform. Plus if they have a Hau they could always just shield themselves for added protection. :v

• Upvote 1

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

Given how they seem to avoid touching lava, I don’t think so. They are able to surf on lava using a board, which is already much more than a human is able to do (being even near lava is enough for you to start burning). I kind of doubt the resistance goes much further than that. Maybe touch lava for a few seconds (for example, long enough to paddle a board at the start of surfing). They seemed to be in a big hurry to leave Ta-Koro when it was sinking, too. They took the land route instead of jumping into the lava and swimming to safety, maybe that indicates lava isn’t safe for them, I dunno...

There’s also the simple fact that resistance is not the same thing as immunity. Ga-Matoran can hold their breath a long time compared to other beings, but they can’t breathe water. I think the same applies to Ta-Matoran and their abilities.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

They seemed to be in a big hurry to leave Ta-Koro when it was sinking, too. They took the land route instead of jumping into the lava and swimming to safety, maybe that indicates lava isn’t safe for them, I dunno...

Movement across a solid surface is almost always easier than moving through liquid.

Bridges are there for a reason. :P

Also consider the properties of lava itself. It’s generally thick, so it could cling to a Ta-Matoran’s body and maybe seep into cracks and crevices in their armor. When they get out of the body of lava, any lava left on their person would start cooling and eventually harden, inhibiting movement and adding weight

They seemed to be in a big hurry to leave Ta-Koro when it was sinking, too. They took the land route instead of jumping into the lava and swimming to safety, maybe that indicates lava isn’t safe for them, I dunno...

Movement across a solid surface is almost always easier than moving through liquid.

Bridges are there for a reason. :P

Especially a liquid(?) that's basically just spicy gak.

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

I guess they could handle the temperature aspect well enough. Su-Matoran are even more resistant to heat than Ta-Matoran, they could last longer down there.

That doesn't mean they'll just dive into it, though, for the reasons above. Lava is pretty thick, and it's probably hard to see and maneuver in it. Lavaboards were common for that reason, since they were the safest way to cross it.

As that guy in MNOG put it "lava surfing is dangerous, but fun!"

I'm Vrokdann in Skyrise: Ascent, and Luntep in the BZPRPG.

[sigfig in tunnel]

My profile pic's a cool little thing I made called Bettani. That thing up there's just a me inside a tunnel.

With regards to the Jaller quote you initially mentioned from the fight with Vezon, it's expanded a bit more in the novel Inferno, which might help:

"Jaller, no!" said Hewkii. "You won't last more than ten seconds in that cauldron!"

"That's ten seconds longer than any of the rest of you would," the Toa leader answered. "With my natural resistance to heat and flame, maybe I can buy enough time to retrieve the mask and toss it to you. [...]"

So... their resistance buys them a few seconds over other Toa or Matoran, maximum; but that seems to be the full extent of it.

Edited by Darth Jaller
  • Upvote 2

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

With regards to the Jaller quote you initially mentioned from the fight with Vezon, it's expanded a bit more in the novel Inferno, which might help:

"Jaller, no!" said Hewkii. "You won't last more than ten seconds in that cauldron!"

"That's ten seconds longer than any of the rest of you would," the Toa leader answered. "With my natural resistance to heat and flame, maybe I can buy enough time to retrieve the mask and toss it to you. [...]"

So... their resistance buys them a few seconds over other Toa or Matoran, maximum; but that seems to be the full extent of it.
So, instead of it being him nonchalantly going into the lava, grabbing the mask, and wading back like it was nothing, it would have been heroic self-sacrifice.

If a Toa of Fire (who also had additional powers, since he was a Toa Inika) couldn’t survive in lava for for than (give or take) ten seconds, than it’s logical to assume that neither could a Ta-Matoran, Turaga of Fire or any normal Toa of Fire, and that at least the former two would last an even shorter amount of time. Furthermore, I propose that this also applies to Skakdi of Fire, unless their third ability is specifically “magma immunity” or something.

So...where does that leave Tahnok and Tahnok Va? I can’t recall at the moment if they actually entered lava at any point. And do you think Tahnok-Kal has any heat resistance left?

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 1

Thanks, that's certainly helpful, but do we know whether 'ten seconds' was meant exactly or just as a simple way of saying 'not very long'?

And how did they know how long he'd last? I mean, when was the last time a fire Matoran/Toa had actually been in lava to the point of dying?

Thanks, that's certainly helpful, but do we know whether 'ten seconds' was meant exactly or just as a simple way of saying 'not very long'?

And how did they know how long he'd last? I mean, when was the last time a fire Matoran/Toa had actually been in lava to the point of dying?

Like I said, they seem to avoid it at all costs.

As for Plasma beings, remember that Toa of Plasma Zaktan killed that was implied to have melted?

I'd guess it was meant more figuratively than literally; just a way of saying barely any time at all.

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."