Old Bionicle fan looking for mask collecting advice

Leflin

So I’ve been a fan of Bionicle ever since it was released in 2001, and throughout the years as a child, I’d save up some Christmas, birthday, etc etc money here and there to buy me a new Bionicle set whenever I could, and I followed the story and comics wholeheartedly and nearly had every comic memorized word to word. Within the 9 years it was going strong, I obtained quite a few sets, all of which I’ve still got safely stored away in a giant bin in my closet until I someday can make a decent display area for them all. Due to not having the funds at the time as I was only 7 when Bionicle first came out, I missed out on all the special promotions, masks, etc as I was just wanting to get the new heroes at the time. Looking back on it, I’ve been searching far and wide for rare and semi rare Bionicle masks, items, etc with not much luck. Whenever I google the best place to look for said items, I always get sent here to bzpower, so I thought it best to join and ask all the good folks here, on some advice on where to start. Many thanks in advance

The BST forum has the best deals (and the best people :) ), although it has slowed down a lot over the past several months. I think there are a couple of people actively selling their collections right now though, so you should check it out. You tend to find rarer/more interesting items there.

BrickLink is also very good. A lot of sellers who post here also have a BrickLink store.

Even eBay has some good deals from time to time, so do keep an eye out, but generally you can do much better on BrickLink and BZP. The prices on eBay can be... silly.

From my experience, Bricklink is the better option for specific sets and parts, however financially, Ebay is definitely the way to go. Unlike Bricklinkers, Ebayers are generally not AFOLs and are not sure how to price Bionicle sets, so you can grab some brilliant bargains if you're patient. Of course everything on Bricklink is 'Buy it Now' as well, whereas Ebay auctions offer chances to buy sets at stupidly low prices (I bagged a sealed Vezon and Kardas for £50 on Ebay).

Don't forget there is a buy/sell/trade section right here on BZPower, so be sure to check that from time to time. There are plenty of Bionicle collectors on here with cool stuff they're willing to part with.

As for actually displaying, I have my sets in cabinets with glass doors and lights, which makes them look nice and keeps the dust off of them. You do need quite a bit of space, and it generally looks best if you separate sets out into different years, for example, have one shelf dedicated to 2001, another 2002, etc. If you don't have much space, it's a good idea to just display your favourite/most beloved sets. Try not to overcrowd your shelves though as it will start to look like storage not display. And of course, displaying sets preserves them much better, so they will not break down like they would in a bin/box.

Of course its all well and good advising you on the best possible display, but if you're not willing to spend ludicrous amounts, you could be better off investing in some basic shelving units, perhaps with a light strip running along the back, to display your favourites, whether it be the Toa Mata or Rahkshi or whatever.

Hope this helps  :)

Awesome. Any suggestions are definitely welcome. I’ll defintely keep checking out EBay then for good deals and I’ll be sure and keep on eye on Brinklink as well. Never actually used that site before, so it’ll take some getting used to lol. All my sealed set purchases I’ve found on EBay though. I somehow managed to snag a sealed Tahnok a couple years ago for about $14. The canister is a little damaged unfortunately, but still unopened luckily lol. Also got a few Glatorian sets I thankfully had the foresight to buy a couple duplicates of and keep sealed. As of right now though, I’ve been focusing on the smaller and older items such as the sealed Kanohi and Krana mask packs, etc. But hey, if I come across a once in a lifetime deal somewhere, I’m not one to pass it up too often lol

I don't really know how feasible of a suggestion this would be for you, but I've found a lot of stuff at reasonable prices at conventions such as Brickfair. There's a good mix of people who aren't into Bionicle letting it go for cheap and fans with rarer collectibles looking to sell. 

I've also gotten quite a few of my rarer masks and such from raffles here on BZP.