More LEGO Jurassic World Sets Coming in 2019 with a TV Show

Jurrasic_World_Legend_of_Isla_Nublar_Ann

New York Toy Fair is practically here and LEGO is making a bunch of announcements in advance of the show. Right now they've let us know that their partnership with Universal is continuing, and not only will we be getting more Jurassic World sets, we'll be getting a thirteen episode animated series entitled LEGO Jurassic World: Legends of Isla Nublar, set before the first Jurassic World film. The four sets (and presumably the show) are releasing this fall and feature a plethora of dinosaurs to create your own prehistoric theme park. For the press release, set images and details, read on!

View the full article

Bummer that the Triceratops set looks very juniorized; it's been a while since we got a quadruped herbivore dino. The vehicle builds in the other sets are quite creative, as well as that dino-mech. (Didn't read at first that these would be based off a Lego TV show, thought that the next movie was really jumping the shark by introducing dino-mechs.) Still a bit on the pricy side, but this feels more like a legit Lego dinosaur theme compared to the previous Jurassic World waves, IMO.

:music:

• Upvote 1

Bummer that the Triceratops set looks very juniorized; it's been a while since we got a quadruped herbivore dino. The vehicle builds in the other sets are quite creative, as well as that dino-mech. (Didn't read at first that these would be based off a Lego TV show, thought that the next movie was really jumping the shark by introducing dino-mechs.) Still a bit on the pricy side, but this feels more like a legit Lego dinosaur theme compared to the previous Jurassic World waves, IMO.

The Triceratops appears to be the same as the one from the Dino theme in 2012, just with different colors and printing. I don't really see how it's any more "juniorized" (as in, using big and specialized pieces instead of smaller and more versatile ones) than most of the other molded LEGO dinos, particularly those from 2005 onward.

These look okay, thought they were good until I took a lil peep at the prices.

Yeah, even without a license, big molded dinos like this pretty much invariably drive up the price per piece of a set beyond what you'd typically expect. Believe it or not, the non-licensed Dino theme from 2012 had sets with higher prices per piece than any of the Jurassic World sets to date: 14.7 cents for an average set, with a maximum of a whopping 18.4 cents per piece for 5885!

I suspect the only way LEGO could release minifig-scale dino sets at a more reasonable price per piece and still make money on them would be with more heavily brick-built dinosaurs, like the dragons, dinosaurs, and other big creatures in LEGO Ninjago, LEGO Elves, and LEGO Creator 3-in-1.

Anyway, I don't care at all for the Jurassic World brand or theme, but it's fun to see designs in this theme get a little more wacky and imaginative. I'm sure many AFOLs who have been experience mech fatigue are groaning at the T-Rex mech, but it seems to be a pretty creative and cool-looking build in its own right. It's also amusing to see more stuff focusing on amusement park type kiosks and attractions.

And I'm sure many people will appreciate more variety in dinos, even though they're still hampered by the way the Jurassic Park/Jurassic World movies since the first one have overwhelmingly failed to keep up to date with current science of what real dinosaurs looked like, and the way that's likewise stifled the average person's expectations of how dinosaurs should look in media.

The Triceratops appears to be the same as the one from the Dino theme in 2012, just with different colors and printing. I don't really see how it's any more "juniorized" (as in, using big and specialized pieces instead of smaller and more versatile ones) than most of the other molded LEGO dinos, particularly those from 2005 onward.

I meant the set itself was junior-ized, not the dino-mold, which is the only real appeal to that particular set. It only has a few simplistic builds that remind me of the Juniors set. (Yes, I get there's a interesting turntable ride, but that's still not exactly a complex design.) Meanwhile, the Dilophosaurus has an interesting gift shop / dino mouth design and unconventional vehicle, the jeep/trailer in the Baryonyx set are suitably detailed, and the Dino Mech looks like a nice hefty build. So three of the sets look like they had some design work done, and then the other one looks like they threw in a couple of simple builds around a re-released Triceratops (which everyone, like me, wants.) That's the issue I have with that particular set, not the Triceratops design.

I meant the set itself was junior-ized, not the dino-mold, which is the only real appeal to that particular set. It only has a few simplistic builds that remind me of the Juniors set. (Yes, I get there's a interesting turntable ride, but that's still not exactly a complex design.) Meanwhile, the Dilophosaurus has an interesting gift shop / dino mouth design and unconventional vehicle, the jeep/trailer in the Baryonyx set are suitably detailed, and the Dino Mech looks like a nice hefty build. So three of the sets look like they had some design work done, and then the other one looks like they threw in a couple of simple builds around a re-released Triceratops (which everyone, like me, wants.) That's the issue I have with that particular set, not the Triceratops design.

IDK, the supplemental builds are small but I think they're pretty complex in their own right:

• The spinning eggs ride has some atypical SNOT builds for the egg-shaped seats and uses Technic and the new gear plates together in a way we've never seen in sets before, to create a function we've likewise never seen in sets before. The fences are nothing too elaborate but likewise use parts in some unconventional ways, and certainly ways we don't see in Juniors sets, to allow the right side of the fence to be torn down in a very realistic looking way
  • The quad bike, despite being one of the smallest builds in the set, is way more elaborate than many LEGO Friends or City quad bikes, let alone a Juniors one. Ordinarily you see those types of vehicles use parts like this and this from old LEGO Racers sets, not a combination of parts like 2x4 double inverse slopes, 1x2 curved slopes, and 1x2 and 1x4 plates.
  • Really, the only part uses that I might typically expect to see in a Juniors set is the basic vertical stacking of the 2x2x3 bricks and slopes in the front gate and the 2x4x4 half-cylinders in the egg ride's support columns… but I don't feel like there'd be any benefit to using smaller parts for either of those thing. And it's not uncommon even to see parts like those used similarly in highly advanced builds like the Death Star (with 11 of the 2x2x3 bricks), Haunted House (with 49 of the 2x2x3 slopes), and Taj Mahal (with 32 of the 2x4x4 quarter cylinders).
  • Upvote 1

These look okay, thought they were good until I took a lil peep at the prices.

Yeah, even without a license, big molded dinos like this pretty much invariably drive up the price per piece of a set beyond what you'd typically expect. Believe it or not, the non-licensed Dino theme from 2012 had sets with higher prices per piece than any of the Jurassic World sets to date: 14.7 cents for an average set, with a maximum of a whopping 18.4 cents per piece for 5885!

Wow, that's actually pretty surprising to me. I had no qualms with putting up the dough for that theme back then. Maybe I'm just older now and have to be more frugal, and the the dinosaurs lose some appeal when you already have some.

That said, I have been wanting a triceratops with the new color scheme since the dino theme, so that's good to see. Still I doubt I'll spring for it.