Skyrise: Ascent - IC Topic

Nato G

IC: Tarutu - Tesara Marketplace, talking with Paju

"If by it, you mean me... pretty sore. But that's my own fault."

No-one had asked her, after all, to paste herself against the robot's leg; but, after living through the thousand-year Makuta Wars, Tarutu's warrior instincts had never quite gone away. While she would certainly not regard herself as foolhardy, even she had to admit that they sometimes drove her to rather reckless actions. Case in point: today... and Tarutu was quite aware that she'd been lucky to emerge from the fight relatively unscathed. Fighting robots and fighting rahi were clearly worlds apart in terms of tactics.

But, that aside... she recognised the fellow Ga-Matoran who had greeted her, didn't she? She was the other one who'd gone charging straight into the fight, seemingly equally heedless of danger; and while Tarutu had lost track of her as soon as the battle had been joined, she certainly hadn't forgotten the other's face.

"I wouldn't have expected most others of our kind to charge into that fight like you did. Respect, my sister."

She held out her fist for the other to bump, if she felt that way inclined.

IC: Kastir - Capstone Bar

It... did seem a little paranoid, if Kastir was honest with herself. The idea that whoever had built their former home robot had some attachment to the idea of threes, she could get behind well enough; but whoever they were, she imagined they were long-gone by now. It certainly seemed a little bit out there to imagine that those same powers had deliberately arranged for the obliteration of a fourth settlement out here in the wastelands, just to keep to their perfect ideal of three... but, at the same time... she also couldn't quite rule it out as out of hand.

And besides, whether or not she quite bought everything Drukann was selling, the fact remained that there was good money involved. Perhaps not as easy as she'd first thought, but still an interesting change of pace from pursuing wanted fugitives far and wide across the desert... and, despite herself, Kastir had to admit she was curious. Even if the skakdi's words were just - her eyes fell, momentarily, on the bottle in his hand - drunken ramblings, there was still enough substance to them to reel her in.

Did that make her gullible? Perhaps.

She'd worry about that later.

"Now, I'm no therapist, don't ask my opinion on that." She kept her tone light, not intending for the words to be taken as an insult.

"But I'd say you've hit on something here. And if you are leading an expedition - and if your money's as good as your ad said it was - then you can count on my services."

Edited by Darth Jaller

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

IC: Porangi - New Atero

"Right, yes!" And so Porangi headed inside.

GM IC: Porangi - The Tower, New Atero.

Upon entering the structure, Porangi would find the 'lobby' area to be quite sparse and unadorned. Staircases spiraled both up towards the higher floors, and down towards a basement, both watched over by guards. There were several desks, each with different signs denoting their purpose. The one Porangi was looking for was clearly marked Bounty Collection/Inquiries, and was manned by a strange being whose very presence seemed to fill the room with an unsettling aura.  

IC: Armani - Problem Sleuth

"You, Commander? But... Why?"

GM IC: Coyle - Residential District, New Atero.

"Because despite what some like to hope," he glowered pointedly in Tuma's direction, "My loyalty is to all of the people in this city, not solely the Skrall population. So when I started hearing rumours of some Skrall planning an uprising, I decided to send some men to look into the most likely suspects." 

IC: Tekmo (Tesara Guardhouse)

"No, actually. I just came to make sure he-" Tekmo gestures towards Akkitu. "-does what he's supposed to do and hands evidence of the crime scene over to the authorities."

GM IC: Guard - Tesara Guardhouse. 

"I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert, but aint you supposed to leave the evidence at the crime scene?"

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Teaser

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

GM IC: Guards - Tesara Guardhouse.

"But aren't there already guys cleaning up and sifting through the evidence at the market?" Another of the guards piped up, "The only reason I'm even out here instead of my usual beat is because the supervisor said we were short-handed." 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

IC: Porangi - The Tower, New Atero

"Er, excuse me. Doctor Cain, I presume?" Porangi said, approaching the desk.

IC: Drukann - Cliffside

Drukann nodded, a faint yet warm smile coming to his features as he looked up at Kastir from his bottle. "Glad to have you onboard. I don't believe you've told me your name."

IC: Mirror - Tesara Guardhouse

"And yet you knowingly brought three deadly machines into the middle of the largest gathering this planet has seen in years, suggesting that if we release you you may very well do it again. That's all the reason I need."

IC: Garuda - Tesara Outskirts

Garuda's face screwed up beneath her helmet as she tried to come up with the best way to put it, but she just pulled herself closer to Tilly and whimpered some more.

IC: Armani - Residential District, New Atero

"But, surely you could conduct your investigations legally and without inviting distrust upon the Guard, sir." Armani glanced over to Tuma, too. "I'm concerned about the repercussions this may have. The people need to be able to trust us for us to protect New Atero effectively. Tuma warned that there were some who may well ignore the agreement made here in favour of acting on their frustration. ... Though, I have the utmost faith in your speech-giving skills, sir so I am sure things will be fine."

She gave him a reassuring, beaming smile, no trace of sarcasm present.

~

IC: Matilda - Aw Babby

Matilda hugged Garuda softly. "Hey, it's all right. You were very brave, and you did the right thing. I think that means you get to choose what we have to eat tonight, huh?"

She finished the sentence with a big grin.

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

IC Keeper - Tesara Outskirts:

The wastes were a dangerous place. This was true for everyone, but especially the being known as Keeper. Vorox, Rahi, and worse made the shifting deserts their home. Many a naive adventurer had met their end in the sands of Spherus Magna. But there was good to he found there. The harshness of the desert was not easy to live in, but life of course found a way to thrive even here. Keeper had lived a long life. To be perfectly honest, they had lived two long lives. And while they did not always remember the particulars of life in the Matoran Universe, they certainly kept the instincts from all their time living there, and such things served them well, even here on this alien world.

They walked with purpose, heading home with arms full of desert plants that were good to eat. Roots mostly, and the odd chunk of cactus. In one arm they carried the body of a small animal of some kind. They had done this often enough to learn the Vorox territory, and their firework revolvers with their shriek had chased off the brutal creatures more than once. They kept out of each other's paths now, though there were days that large groups or a young individual would take chase of the insectoid being. Some days Keeper would fight them off, and some days they would have to leave their bounty and flee. Such was the way of life here.

Today had been a good day. No Vorox came to take their food, and they had managed to kill a creature for meat. Their path home was all that remained between them and the taste of nutrient rich flesh.

It was something of a surprise to see another being here. The Zesk were a regular occurrence, and Keeper kept a distance between themselves and the small creatures, but the being they saw... They did not seem to be so cautious. They adjusted their hat to get a better look, a few of the trinkets dangling from it clinking gently. The being looked like one of those... Gladitoran? They weren't entirely sure on that, they hadn't really taken the time to learn the names of the sapient species in this world. What they did know is that it was very strange that this being was interacting so closely with the Zesk. They did not speak, but did slow down slightly to observe as they walked. Subconsciously, they pulled their lower arms closer to their body.

Edited by The UltimoScorp

"Er, excuse me. Doctor Cain, I presume?" Porangi said, approaching the desk.

GM IC: Doctor K - The Tower, New Atero.

"No?" The creature peered up at Porangi, inquisitive multi-faceted eyes glinting violet behind its strange Kanohi as it looked him over, "You are a... curious specimen. How can I help you today?"

"And yet you knowingly brought three deadly machines into the middle of the largest gathering this planet has seen in years, suggesting that if we release you you may very well do it again. That's all the reason I need."

GM IC: Silvana - Tesara Guardhouse.

"Hey, I didn't knowingly bring anything anywhere. I arrived in town yesterday for the big market day today. It wasn't until I'd been at the markets for a while that I noticed those guys in the crowd following me around." 

"But, surely you could conduct your investigations legally and without inviting distrust upon the Guard, sir." Armani glanced over to Tuma, too. "I'm concerned about the repercussions this may have. The people need to be able to trust us for us to protect New Atero effectively. Tuma warned that there were some who may well ignore the agreement made here in favour of acting on their frustration. ... Though, I have the utmost faith in your speech-giving skills, sir so I am sure things will be fine."

"And how exactly would I be expected to 'legally' spy on my citizens?" Coyle retorted, "I considered the repercussions when I decided on this course of action, and I stand by my decision. This public embarrassment might very well work in our favour."

"I would imagine the best way to legally spy on citizens would be to not spy on them at all," Armani said thoughtfully. "I imagine a search warrant would have- hm? How would this work in our favour, if I may ask, Commander? I am glad if it does, mind you. I would hate for the citizens to be unable to trust their own Guard."

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

"This poor chap here was a certain someone by the name of Barton... or was it Barlow? No, I think it was Barton. I think I recall a t in there now that I think about it... But yeah, I hear you guys were looking for him, offering a substantial reward for any information about his whereabouts? Well, I have his head here, and I know where the rest of his body is. Though to clarify, I didn't kill him, I just found his dead body, impaled by a spear and left broken to rot." Porangi helpfully showed Doctor K the severed head with his singular arm, the notice still hanging from underneath, pinned between the hand and the head. "Oh, what do you know, his name was Barlow. Speaking of names, I'm Porangi."

Garuda sniffled and looked up, tears just about dried up. "Like, even if I ask for berry pie?"

"Ultimately it'll be up to the Captain and the Council's discretion. But that is my recommendation." Without another word Mirror exited the Guardhouse, sighed, and started on his way back to the medical tent to find the Captain.

IC: Tekmo (Tesara Guardhouse)

Tekmo sees Mirror leave the Guardhouse and finds it a convenient exit out of this awkward conversation.

"Ah, Mirror." He says, attempting to walk alongside the much larger being with longer legs and thus a faster walk. "Did our 'guest' tell us anything of importance?"

"I would imagine the best way to legally spy on citizens would be to not spy on them at all," Armani said thoughtfully. "I imagine a search warrant would have- hm? How would this work in our favour, if I may ask, Commander? I am glad if it does, mind you. I would hate for the citizens to be unable to trust their own Guard."

GM IC: Coyle/Hakkzan - Residential District, New Atero.

"We can't exactly execute search warrants without just cause and provocation," Coyle sighed, "All we had was suspicion."

"And history." Hakkzan growled, glowering at Tuma, who was conversing with a few of the lingering Skrall, "As far as I'm concerned, any extreme is justified when it comes to him."

"For better or worse, if it weren't for him, I wouldn't be here, and a lot of people would still be suffering and dying in the mines of Fe." Coyle replied, before turning to Armani, "In answer to your question, it shows that I'm not putting the Skrall above everyone else in this city. There were a lot of citizens who objected to another Skrall being appointed military Commander after what Tuma and the others did to orchestrate the war with Fe. Now they know I don't play favourites, even with my own people."  

IC- Akkitu: Guardhouse

Akkitu frowned. "I was one of the ones cleaning up when I found this thing." He handed the rocket shell over to the first guard.

GM IC: Guards - Tesara Guardhouse.

Reluctantly, the lead guard takes the fragment from Akkitu, before promptly handing it over to one of his underlings, "Take this back to the market and put it where it belongs, with the rest of the evidence." 

Grumbling under their breath, the guard wanders off to do exactly that.

"Thank you for your assistance, citizen." The lead guard says, without the barest hint of emotion or enthusiasm, "Have a good day."

"This poor chap here was a certain someone by the name of Barton... or was it Barlow? No, I think it was Barton. I think I recall a t in there now that I think about it... But yeah, I hear you guys were looking for him, offering a substantial reward for any information about his whereabouts? Well, I have his head here, and I know where the rest of his body is. Though to clarify, I didn't kill him, I just found his dead body, impaled by a spear and left broken to rot." Porangi helpfully showed Doctor K the severed head with his singular arm, the notice still hanging from underneath, pinned between the hand and the head. "Oh, what do you know, his name was Barlow. Speaking of names, I'm Porangi."

GM IC: Doctor K - The Tower.

"Delightful!" The doctor seized the head, eagerly turning it over in their hands, inspecting it from every angle, "Looks like he hasn't been dead for too long. Facial expression would suggest that he died screaming. Skull feels... fractured. Cuts to the neck look to have been delivered post-mortem, I assume that was you?" 

Edited by Nato the Traveler

"Oh yes, quite a nasty piece of work that. Had to really put my whole body into it, you know? Not really used to beheading a corpse... not that I intend to get into the habit of it. Unless you guys specifically pay for such jobs?"

IC: Taurek - Combat with a sociopath

My first thought as I saw the spinner launch from the axe was that I really should have seen that coming. 

It was far too fast for me to actually dodge out of the way. The flying projectile blasted into my leg as I tried to jump out of the way. There was a brief moment where nothing happened.

Then, pain. Intense, pure and scorching agony flowing through my leg and quickly through the rest of my body. I couldn't get up. I couldn't even think about getting up. My vision flashed purple and black. I was probably yelling. I wasn't paying attention.

I laid on the ground, begging for the pain to stop. 

IC: Tacitus - Tesara

Tacitus walked next to Taurek and placed the razor sharp blade of his axe up to the Steltan Brute's neck so that while it wouldn't cut him in his thrashing, when the rhotuka finally wore off, he'd have the Steltan Brute pinned right where he wanted him. "Lets try that again, shall we?"

IC: Taurek - Refusing to give answers

The moment I opened my eyes when the pain subsided, a blade was at my throat. He was questioning me, again.

A little known fact about me. I don't respond well to torture. Not at all. It stems mostly from my time as a slave. You spend a few years getting poked in the back with cattle prods and you start to get really vengeful. Ask that piece of Muaka dung buried in Cliffside what happens when I get vengeful. 

So, when Tacitus leveled his weapon at my throat, my first thought wasn't to give up. No, I spoke my first thought right as it came to my head.

"Eat ." 

And then, I fired my already loaded weapon at the Skrall's body. 

"I'm afraid not." He replied, scraping some of the dirt off the back of the head and sprinkling it into his mouth, "Tastes faintly of sediment native to the Black Spike Mountains. Is that where you found him?"

GM IC: Guards - Tesara Streets.

After the attack of the marketplace, the guards of Tesara were out in force, and on high alert, so the sight of a heavily armoured Skrall waving a crackling axe around had not gone unnoticed. As soon as Tacitus fired the first shot, a quartet of nearby guards converged on him and Taurek, leveling their weapons at the two combatants. "Weapons down, boys!" A towering Steltian elite bellowed, "There's been enough carnage in Tesara today. If you've got a problem, you take it to the skies."

"Wait, you keep taste profiles of different sediment types memorised?"

IC: Tacitus - Tesara

The recoil from the metal sphere impacting against his grieves knocked Tacitus away, leading to him to quickly raising his weapon again to prepare for a proper fight against the Steltan Brute... only for guards to interfere. Perfect. "Officers. This individual may have knowledge relating to the market attack." Tacitus lowered his axe and rested the butt of the shaft on the ground, taking on a more relaxed stance.

Edited by Onaku

"It's rude to answer a question with a question." The Kestora chided, depositing the head on the desk, "Or so I've been told. But yes, I've cataloged a plethora of samples from all across the Great Barren. Even the most obscure fragments of information can be of use."

IC: Matilda - Pie For All

Well, the payment from her last job was pretty good, and she was pretty sure the bakery would be open. She gave Garuda a smile and a boop on the nose. "Rules are rules. Berry pie it is."

She noted the Zesk were getting fidgety, looking off at something. She looked, too, and saw... she wasn't sure, but they were staring this way. She guessed. It was hard to tell with the compound eyes. She turned, grunting in the Vorox language for the Zesk to settle as she did. She looked to the stranger. "... Hey there... buddy."

~

IC: Armani - We Can't Break Laws About Search Warrants But We Sure Can Break Ones About Illegally Entering People's Homes

Armani glanced to Hakkzan. Normally, she'd agree that one needed to be careful around Tuma- not to the extent he was suggesting, but she was aware that Tuma may not have taken prior events as well as he let on, not to mention his deception of Hakkzan- but something felt very wrong about all of this.

"My main concern, Commander," she said to Coyle, "is that perhaps this may be taken the other way. Instead of offering Skrall equal treatment, singling them out as suspects. I must ask, where did this rumour come from? If it was not enough to legally execute a search, but enough to convince you that it was a cause for suspicion..."

She was already attempting to plot out how best to word this news to Tuma. She'd promised him answers, but she hadn't imagined them to be this... anticlimactic. Or this difficult to express without causing a whole host of problems.

They stopped as the Gladitoran spoke, presumably to them. Their fingers clasped tighter to their collected foodstuffs as they came to a stop, and spoke with a voice that seemed to vibrate their entire body.

"Many greetingzz. Are you in duresszz?"

It seemed unlikely with the familiarity the Gladitoran showed with the Zesk but Keeper could not be too sure of anything in the desert. Even so close to home.

"Intriguing..." Porangi was deep in thought on the benefits of having a taste profile of various dirt samples from throughout the wastes, when the words Doctor K had first spoken in response slammed into his conscious. "Oh, right, sorry, yes. I did indeed find this unfortunate man in... the Black Spike Mountains. It was... somewhat poetic, one could say, pierced through the heart by a black spike in the Black Spike Mountains. Do you read poetry? I haven't, but I hear it's quite a fascinating subject..."

"The rumours came from friends in the Skrall community. People I knew during our time in Fe. People I trust, implicitly." 

"I see," he chittered, prying a slip of parchment out from a drawer in front of him and checking it, "It looks like I'm meant to ask for specifics, and background. Where in the Black Mountains did you find him, exactly? Do you recall any landmarks? Could you place it on a map? What were you doing there?"

“No, this is Tesara... kind of...” Garuda squirmed in her sister’s arms, trying to make herself smaller.

IC: Mirror - Tesara

Mirror looked down to see a fellow Guardsman. “Nothing that we couldn’t guess. She...” he trailed off, looking around and lowering his voice. “She’s a bounty hunter. Didn’t realize she was being followed until just about the time of the attack.”

Edited by Click

"Right, it was those ruins of Fe in the mountains. I was there scrounging for any scraps or resources left behind, but I guess scavengers have picked the place clean by now..." Porangi scratched the back of his head awkwardly. "I hid the rest of his body under some rubble, hid it pretty well, but I could show you guys where it is if you're interested in it?"

IC: Tekmo (Tesara)

"I see." He says, lowering his voice as well. "I found something that might be related to this attack. A message on the community noticeboard: 'Iron Never Dies'. And our assailants were Maxilos droids..."

Tekmo's voice lowers to almost a whisper. "Xaril, I think. Or another vengeful Fe remnant."

IC: Taurek - Being assaulted

I almost frantically tried to load the weapon again, but noticed the guards beside us. 

And then, Tacitus snitched. I almost laughed. He was snitching. Oh, this would be good.

"I don't know anything, officer. He questioned me and I didn't give an answer he liked so he hit me with his weapon." I explained, standing up.

GM IC: Guards - Tesara Streets.

"Okay, big guy." The lead guard stepped towards Tacitus, "I think everyone here would appreciate it if you put down the axe. No matter how you try to justify it, attacking other people in the street, unprovoked, doesn't fly in Tesara."

___________________________________________________________________________________

"We've already got a small garrison stationed in the Mountains. I'll have someone send them a message to find the body in the Fe crater." The Kestora set aside his sheet of paper and stared at the head for a few more moments, "From what I hear, the folks upstairs really wanted him alive... but there's no denying that you've provided valuable information. Shall we talk payment?"

IC: Armani - Well Alright

"I trust your judgement, Commander. I apologise for the questioning. Though, I am left with the issue of how to explain this to Tuma. I would assume that telling him he and his allies are under suspicion of an uprising would not be all that wise."

~

IC: Matilda - Bug Friend Bug Friend

"Oh, no, Garuda, they said 'duress'," Matilda explained to the tiny orb of Garuda in her arms. "Like, being forced to do something."

To the stranger, she said, "No one here is under duress. Unless you are. In which case, I guess, you're the one under duress. What are you doing out here? It's dangerous in the sands."

Edited by ZippyWharrgarbl

IC Temujin - New Atero Tower Exterior:

By twist of fate, the plan to go through the residential area to save time ended up taking more time in the long run. Mostly on account of Temujin taking a wrong turn one too many times. but eventually the unlikely duo reached the tower, and Temujin gave a polite wave to the cloaked being as the pair approached the tower's doors.

"zzSandszz, dangerouszz, yeszz. I hunt them for food. zzSafer than the zzstrangenesszz of the zzcity. I could aszzk the zzsame of you, who are zzso familar with the zzZeszzk. "

Edited by The UltimoScorp

IC: Matilda - Zesk Buddies

"I lived with a pack," Matilda said slowly. It seemed like this person wasn't familiar with her. "I still visit from time to time."

Well that only provided more questions. What circumstances had led this Gladitoran to living with Zesk? Knowing how long their species lived, how long ago had that been? Why did the Zesk consider them siblings? Who had taught the Zesk to speak the common language of the planet? And why did the others not speak it?

"I...zzsee." they said aloud. They seemed peaceful, truthfully, but the lessons of the desert were not forgiving.

" Will you attack me if I come clozzser?"