Tuhinga, Toa Cordak of Stone

I teamed up with a few other builders to create the unseen and unnamed members of the Toa Cordak, and I chose to build the Toa of Stone. 

tuhinga2.png

You can find links to the other creations on the photo I posted to Flickr

On an unrelated note, this is my 1000th post on BZP! 

:kakama:

• Upvote 2

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

The beige, brown, and silver all fit a Toa of Stone. Nice work!

PS: Is the thing is his right hand a scythe? That is how I have always used Matoro Mahri Blades.

Thanks! It's more of an axe, really.

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

• 3 weeks later...

The blends of tans and browns in this MOC are awesome. The asymmetric silver/gunmetal armor give the character a savage, jarring look which entirely befits a Toa of Stone. It reminds me of the Bandos armor from RuneScape, actually. The flail accentuates the effect, with its jagged edges and wild, inconsistent fighting style. Dual weilding with different weapons reinforces the asymmetry of the model, making the character feel more grounded in its primitive roots. The chain on the right arm and the left knee armor (unmatched on their opposed sides, I might add) enhances the effect. You don't even match the hands! Gorgeous.

The axe helps to contribute to the elemental association of the MOC, being associated with Tolkein-esque dwarves (repopularized in the contemporary imagination by D&D/Stranger Things) and with Viking raiders. The Hau contributes to this barbaric warrior feel too. Its proportions feel like a human head and the cheek slits invoke a medieval knight's helmet. It, like the feet and chest, are areas of symmetry that balance out the model. Not having everything be mismatched further accentuates those points that are.

My one complaint is the chest. I like the robe thing (what is that cloth piece from?) but I feel like its main purpose here is to hide the fact that the upper chest isn't filled out all that well. The chest sort of thins out at what in a human would be about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the rib cage. It looks kind of like you really wanted to use that one hero factory chest piece and tried to work around it when you found it to be too short for your purposes.

Overall great model. I wish you'd include more pictures from different angles.

EDIT: Also the Hero Factory armor really looks great when layered on top of the Toa Mata feet.

Edited by Nujanii: Kanohi Master
  • Upvote 2

The blends of tans and browns in this MOC are awesome. The asymmetric silver/gunmetal armor give the character a savage, jarring look which entirely befits a Toa of Stone. It reminds me of the Bandos armor from RuneScape, actually. The flail accentuates the effect, with its jagged edges and wild, inconsistent fighting style. Dual weilding with different weapons reinforces the asymmetry of the model, making the character feel more grounded in its primitive roots. The chain on the right arm and the left knee armor (unmatched on their opposed sides, I might add) enhances the effect. You don't even match the hands! Gorgeous.

The axe helps to contribute to the elemental association of the MOC, being associated with Tolkein-esque dwarves (repopularized in the contemporary imagination by D&D/Stranger Things) and with Viking raiders. The Hau contributes to this barbaric warrior feel too. Its proportions feel like a human head and the cheek slits invoke a medieval knight's helmet. It, like the feet and chest, are areas of symmetry that balance out the model. Not having everything be mismatched further accentuates those points that are.

My one complaint is the chest. I like the robe thing (what is that cloth piece from?) but I feel like its main purpose here is to hide the fact that the upper chest isn't filled out all that well. The chest sort of thins out at what in a human would be about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the rib cage. It looks kind of like you really wanted to use that one hero factory chest piece and tried to work around it when you found it to be too short for your purposes.

Overall great model. I wish you'd include more pictures from different angles.

EDIT: Also the Hero Factory armor really looks great when layered on top of the Toa Mata feet.

Thank you for the in-depth feedback and the praise! I'm happy that you spotted all those asymmetric details.

The torso is definitely the part of this MOC I'm least happy with, and it went through several iterations while building. The cloth piece is from the TFA Rey buildable figure. 

Proof that brown can still be an appealing color if used right. Lego, you don't know the magnitude of your mistakes...

Since when was brown not an appealing color?  :???:  Is that why they removed it in late 2006?

Brown sets consistently sold the worst out of every wave. My point is that you can still have a good brown set, you just need to use it right. OP proves this with this MOC. The tan and Mata brown, normally dull colors on their own, are used here with metallic highlights and arranged such that they generate a warm color scheme despite having no red or yellow and just a teeny bit or orange. Brown is a neutral color, so brown and tan aren't technically analogous colors because they're not on the color wheel; but the effect produced is the same here. The darker parts pop really nicely, though I feel like there should be something around this guy's abs to balance him out more around his middle.

By contrast, Onua Metru looks like a poop golem. I know we have a "no potty humor" rule, but...come on, how else can I describe it? Pohatu Mata's better about it, but the orientation of his torso coupled with the somewhat restrictive color schemes of the Mata still leaves him looking similarly fecal, if not nearly as ugly. Metallic armor remedies this, but it can't truly make it go away. The best way to handle it is to use multiple, well-balanced shades of brown, ideally coupled with some other color to break it up. Though he could have more brown on him, Master Pohatu handles this pretty nicely, and I'd say he's the most visually appealing brown set to date (Vorox probs comes in second). By contrast, though not nearly as turd-like, Uniter Pohatu looks the most boring hallucination ever because he's just 14 million poorly-arranged shades of brown with some silver. Lego finally had it, and then they lost it for reasons I cannot begin to comprehend.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Proof that brown can still be an appealing color if used right. Lego, you don't know the magnitude of your mistakes...

Since when was brown not an appealing color?  :???:  Is that why they removed it in late 2006?

Brown sets consistently sold the worst out of every wave. My point is that you can still have a good brown set, you just need to use it right. OP proves this with this MOC. The tan and Mata brown, normally dull colors on their own, are used here with metallic highlights and arranged such that they generate a warm color scheme despite having no red or yellow and just a teeny bit or orange. Brown is a neutral color, so brown and tan aren't technically analogous colors because they're not on the color wheel; but the effect produced is the same here. The darker parts pop really nicely, though I feel like there should be something around this guy's abs to balance him out more around his middle.

By contrast, Onua Metru looks like a poop golem. I know we have a "no potty humor" rule, but...come on, how else can I describe it? Pohatu Mata's better about it, but the orientation of his torso coupled with the somewhat restrictive color schemes of the Mata still leaves him looking similarly fecal, if not nearly as ugly. Metallic armor remedies this, but it can't truly make it go away. The best way to handle it is to use multiple, well-balanced shades of brown, ideally coupled with some other color to break it up. Though he could have more brown on him, Master Pohatu handles this pretty nicely, and I'd say he's the most visually appealing brown set to date (Vorox probs comes in second). By contrast, though not nearly as turd-like, Uniter Pohatu looks the most boring hallucination ever because he's just 14 million poorly-arranged shades of brown with some silver. Lego finally had it, and then they lost it for reasons I cannot begin to comprehend.

Four things:

1. By Onua Metru, don't you mean Onewa Metru?

2. Why does he look like a "poop golem" to you?

3. Uniter Pohatu looks fine, but maybe I just have different color scheme preferences.

4. The only time I think that Uniter Pohatu looks strange is when he's wearing his Gold Mask of Unity.

RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu

Four things:

3. Uniter Pohatu looks fine, but maybe I just have different color scheme preferences.

4. The only time I think that Uniter Pohatu looks strange is when he's wearing his Gold Mask of Unity.

No, I mean the 2004 release of Onua Metru, who was inexplicably rendered in brown that year. /s

He's a monochrome pile of brown with some grey thrown in. I look at that color scheme and I can only imagine a pile of something brown arranged in a humanoid shape. There are few other associations to make from there.

Uniter Pohatu is, objectively, highly incongruous. It's like Lego couldn't decide what they wanted his color scheme to be, with the dark brown and the orange-brown and the dark tan all awkwardly and unevenly cobbled together.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Four things:

No, I mean the 2004 release of Onua Metru, who was inexplicably rendered in brown that year. /s

He's a monochrome pile of brown with some grey thrown in. I look at that color scheme and I can only imagine a pile of something brown arranged in a humanoid shape. There are few other associations to make from there.

Uniter Pohatu is, objectively, highly incongruous. It's like Lego couldn't decide what they wanted his color scheme to be, with the dark brown and the orange-brown and the dark tan all awkwardly and unevenly cobbled together.

You do mean Onewa Metru, right? There was no Onua set released in 2004.

RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu