Silver Pieces in Voya Nui Matoran

Illuminatus

Hello, everyone.

Up until recently I was under the impression that the Voya Nui Matoran sets all came with pearl light gray weapons instead of flat silver ones, but after looking closely at my own sets and sets my friends have owned, the colors appear to be a bit irregular.

For one thing, one Balta set has flat silver weapons and one Garan set appears to have come with one weapon in each color.

Can anyone (preferably in Europe) check their original sets to see if there are any such irregularities?

Thanks! :)

They're not on hand, but as I recall they were in production during the time Lego was shifting over from flat silver to pearl silver. Some units were packed with the flat silver bits while others with the pearl silver bits, depending on how early or late in production they were. Really, it's just a similar situation as the anomalous switch from flat gold to pearl gold producing the rear pearl gold Krahkaans in late 2005.

:kakama: 

• Upvote 2

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

This may have started in 2003, because my Panrahk has a staff/spear tip in each shade of silver.

Did you get the Panrahk second hand? If so, it may have been built with parts not originally from a Panrahk canister. The Rahkshi spear tip pieces were often used later on, so it is possible that the spear tip came from a later set, such as a late production Pouks, it would explain the colour difference. In 2003, they didn't yet begin changing the colouration.

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I bought my Piruk, Garan, Dalu and Kazi brand new back in 2006. All of them have Flat Silver weapons. But I have Velika whose I bought used and he has Pearl Light Gray weapons. Same thing with Axonn sets - I had 3 or 4 of them and some had Pearl Light Gray parts, some had Flat Silver. So it seems to be the same situation as with Pearl Gold and Flat Dark Gold Kraahkan in Tower of Toa sets, but seems that Lego changed silver colour a little bit later than gold.

This may have started in 2003, because my Panrahk has a staff/spear tip in each shade of silver.

Did you get the Panrahk second hand? If so, it may have been built with parts not originally from a Panrahk canister. The Rahkshi spear tip pieces were often used later on, so it is possible that the spear tip came from a later set, such as a late production Pouks, it would explain the colour difference. In 2003, they didn't yet begin changing the colouration.

I believe it was.

RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu