So, this appears to depict a Toa canister drifting to shore....

Okay I've remained silent and skeptical about this so far, but good gracious it's hard to not be excited to see what this all is about!

Definitely pulls on the nostalgia strings seeing another canister floating towards land. Ah well, I guess only time will tell if the hints and glimpses are what we think they are! 

tumblr_ndaeyecdlv1sm52ano1_640.gif

:infected:   :biorules:

• Upvote 1

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

You guys noticed the description?
“You have been dreaming for an eternity. Amazing stories of light and darkness. Shaping your mind like a stream carves the rock. You know all and nothing. The moment before waking”

Now look at Kopaka's dialogue from the first Issue of the Comics:

"I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakaned. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the darkness cannot stand before me."

Isn't this strikingly similar? Not to mention the Toa Canister drifting around what looks like Ko-Wahi. 

“You have been dreaming for an eternity. Amazing stories of light and darkness. Shaping your mind like a stream carves the rock. You know all and nothing. The moment before waking”

"I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakaned. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the darkness cannot stand before me."

Isn't this strikingly similar?

Darth Jaller already pointed this out on the previous page.

Isn't this strikingly similar? Not to mention the Toa Canister drifting around what looks like Ko-Wahi. 

This makes me think that this project will tie into G1 somehow. Not a direct continuation, that's both unlikely and a generally bad idea; but maybe we're the ones who "know all and nothing." The "amazing stories of light and darkness" are, well, Bionicle, and we're about to see some metafictional take on the "real" story. Curious to see what that would entail if it's really the case.

• Upvote 2

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Don't start getting your hopes up until we know more of what its about, because if this turns out to be something completely unrelated you're all going to be massively disappointed.

I mean, it's Bionicle. There's literally nothing else it could be at this point, and it's obviously real. Even if very little comes of it, we'll probably get something.

• Upvote 1

If it is something else, it will still be Bionicle in all but name. The issue here is it getting off the ground. I get the impression that he's going to crowdfund whatever this is, and I'm not too concerned about it reaching whatever goal unless it's absurdly high, but the management of Rebel Nature leaves me concerned for how focused he'll be on this. I hope that he has talented and competent people working on this with him.

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey
  • Upvote 3

This makes me think that this project will tie into G1 somehow. Not a direct continuation, that's both unlikely and a generally bad idea; but maybe we're the ones who "know all and nothing." The "amazing stories of light and darkness" are, well, Bionicle, and we're about to see some metafictional take on the "real" story. Curious to see what that would entail if it's really the case.

I think a retelling of G1 would be nice. Just add some new things but keep the structure intact. 

I think a retelling of G1 would be nice. Just add some new things but keep the structure intact. 

I mean, why bring it back just to tell more or less the same story again? I can feel similar but it should also stand out and improve upon what came before.

To go on a bit of a tangent, the landscape looks like Ko-Wahi.

It does, but did Ko-Wahi have a huge volcano sticking up over it?

While Ko-Wahi itself does not have a volcano, the Mangai Volcano borders Ko-Wahi. Though there is the question of being able to see it over the Ko-Wahi mountains from Kopaka's landing point, it stands to reason that the volcano may be sufficiently massive as to be seen from the shore.

There is a river heading inland between Ko-Wahi and Le-Wahi, but that would likely have more foliage. Approaching from the border between Po-Wahi and Ko- Wahi would have a similar effect. Abandoning the main Ko-Wahi area entirely, Naho Bay or the Hura-Mafa river border a small area of Ko-Wahi. The volcano would likely be visible.

Trying to consider landing spots in Okoto... I actually gave up very quickly, as no volcano has the potential to be seen outside of the Region of Fire.

It just occurred to me that a reboot would probably have a different map. Oh well...

• Upvote 1

:smilematoro:

Definitely a reboot. It'll surely start with the same "6 heroes, one destiny" shtick, but where that goes--or whether it's even gonna be the OGs and not totally new Toa--is up in the air. Part of me kinda wants to see new characters join the roster just to see what would happen and how they'd tie the original Toa into the lore and story.

If it's anything, I hope it's a reboot. A G1 continuation is unrealistic. I'm still not getting my hopes up about any of this thing, because if I do, they could be crushed at any time.
RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu

I mean, why bring it back just to tell more or less the same story again? I can feel similar but it should also stand out and improve upon what came before.

Well, they do this all the time with Transformers. They have been telling the same Story (Decepticon x Autobot war) for over 35 years.

• Upvote 1

Well, they do this all the time with Transformers. They have been telling the same Story (Decepticon x Autobot war) for over 35 years.

They keep the basic premise the same, but the story's been given new variables and ideas over the years. TFA stands out in particular because it changed up the character dynamics so much, and that's the ideal kind of change: tell a story that's based on the same idea, but isn't the exact same. Even the Aligned continuity manages to distinguish itself from G1, and Primus only knows what the new cinematic universe has in store.

That's not to say it's been perfect. I'm not a TF buff, but I will say that if it's ever just done the same story with the same characters going through the same premise, then that's not good. Just because it's been done doesn't make it ideal. With Bionicle, G2 at least manage to find ways to differentiate itself from G1. Those differences never got a chance to really shine, but with the proper worldbuilding and storytelling, it could have done a lot more than it did.

• Upvote 1

Ideally, I'd like a story that's vaguely in the same universe as G1 but doesn't attempt to touch all those messy loose ends at all. Set it eons in the future, Agori and Matoran have merged into a single race, the old Mata Nui robot is grown over and merely a part of the landscape, etc. A fresh start, but with a touch of uncanny mystery if the characters ever go underground and find the ruined, eons-dead cities in the domes... 

If you wanna bring back the original six Toa, make them either reincarnations of some kind, or hint at the idea that they've been in the wild elements doing their own thing for thousands of years. I don't imagine Christian Faber has any interest in getting tied up in whatever happened to Lewa after he got captured by those Jungle Agori in 2011.

• Upvote 5

The more Faber posts about this the more curious I get. I say curious because I can feel myself getting kind of excited and I don't want to set myself up for disappointment so I'm trying to suppress that just a little. The latest picture really evokes Bionicle to me, more so than most of G2 (parts of G2's aesthetic were great but I feel that others are really generic and uninspired).

Anyway, today is the 14th so I'm wondering it you all think we might see something new today or get a full announcement/clarification. I don't know what the significance of the 14 is #14B2020 is but like most other people I've been assuming it's a date. If not, what could it be? A countdown?

It's puzzling, but strangely fitting of Bionicle. The hints, misdirects, ominousness... it feels very in-character.

Edited by Banana Gunz

Definitely a reboot. It'll surely start with the same "6 heroes, one destiny" shtick, but where that goes--or whether it's even gonna be the OGs and not totally new Toa--is up in the air. Part of me kinda wants to see new characters join the roster just to see what would happen and how they'd tie the original Toa into the lore and story.

I don't know. Something is telling me that it would be something of a direct continuation. It could be a reboot.  But if it is a continuation, and I'm kinda hoping it would be, it wouldn't emphasise too much on the past G1 story. It would be something completely new. Something that we haven't particularly seen. I think Faber might be going for an angle like in the X-Men comics, where the story lines in these comics in the 90s have different continuations. Or even perhaps something like in the film Days of Future Past where the story itself reboots its history. Or its timeline. 

I honestly love the idea of old and new protagonists together as a new Toa Team for a reboot. Between a team of Toa Mata, and another group of Toa coming together as one, singular Toa Team.

The Toa in the BIONICLE Universe are basically members of an expendable superhero team, the Avengers.

I really do hope they bring back some of the old G1 Toa. Those Toa (from 2001) are somewhat iconic to me. It just wouldn't feel "BIONICLE" without Tahu, Gali, Pohatu etc.

All in all, I am so excited for what Faber has in store for us!

Edited by bohrokmaster
  • Upvote 1

I don't know. Something is telling me that it would be something of a direct continuation.

That makes no sense from what we've seen. This is starting the same way G1 started, which doesn't make sense if it's just a follow-up.

Edited by Sir Keksalot

I know a lot of fans would disagree but personally I think I'd really like to see a brand new toa team. I think there's a lot of opportunity to construct a new team dynamic and to see some new ideas. As great as the Mata/Nuva are I really feel that we've gotten enough of them and that at their core they are somewhat generic. Malleable, sure, but very privy to elemental stereotypes.

Seeing the canister in the picture Faber posted recently gives me the impression that it absolutely will be the Mata. However, I still do trust Faber's imagination and there is plenty of interesting stuff to do with the Mata, however I think there needs to be some base line re conceptualization. Small things like the elements and their personalities could use some reworking, though even details like that can be overlooked if the overall concept is interesting.

• Upvote 3

The only real narrative weakness the Mata have as characters is that you're essentially juggling six protagonists. Each of them has to be able to stand on their own in the prologue, and has to be able to operate as a unit for the rest of the story, which only really affords the most basic and uninteresting character drama lest the theme of unity be betrayed. A group like the Metru has a more clearly defined protagonist in Vakama, with whom conflict could be made regarding his teammates. The same goes for the Inika/Mahri, except they were written as a more Mata-esque team, barring a few exceptions. Just about the only thing Hero Factory had over Bionicle in storytelling potential is that it wasn't bound to such rules and, had the characters been well written (actually, scratch that--) had the characters been written, it could've led to interesting situations and interpersonal conflict that didn't need to be resolved in a short span of time. If Faber intends to reboot this with a similar framework as the original Bionicle, phasing out the Mata after a while would be the right choice if it intends to go for the long haul.

• Upvote 4

That new post has me worried. He name-dropped Cryoshell's new album, which as far as we knew tied into his Rebel Nature thing, but this doesn't really look the same style as that. Also those "typos". If they mean something or it's just his keyboard messing with him, I don't know. The description also seems more real-world historical this time, and we know Rebel Nature is set "in a near-future world where technology and nature has joined forces and humanity has become the endangered species…"

Could this be closer to his current project than we thought? Is Cryoshell involved in it? What is Mr. Faber's great vision? Questions abound...

I'm loving all this uncertainty!

• Upvote 1

I'm Vrokdann in Skyrise: Ascent, and Luntep in the BZPRPG.

[sigfig in tunnel]

My profile pic's a cool little thing I made called Bettani. That thing up there's just a me inside a tunnel.

That new post has me worried. He name-dropped Cryoshell's new album, which as far as we knew tied into his Rebel Nature thing, but this doesn't really look the same style as that. Also those "typos". If they mean something or it's just his keyboard messing with him, I don't know. The description also seems more real-world historical this time, and we know Rebel Nature is set "in a near-future world where technology and nature has joined forces and humanity has become the endangered species…"

Could this be closer to his current project than we thought? Is Cryoshell involved in it? What is Mr. Faber's great vision? Questions abound...

I'm loving all this uncertainty!

What? I don’t see anything relating to Cryoshell. All I see is cryptic stuff, the G1-G2-mixed background, and the HF-styled mechanical symbol in the Instagram post. FF sure is up to something.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

What? I don’t see anything relating to Cryoshell.

Cryoshell's upcoming second album is called Next To Machines. He uses it as a hashtag in this post, right before the #14B2020.

Also I went to check the post and he corrected the typos...

I'm Vrokdann in Skyrise: Ascent, and Luntep in the BZPRPG.

[sigfig in tunnel]

My profile pic's a cool little thing I made called Bettani. That thing up there's just a me inside a tunnel.

He literally said this isn't an official Bionicle project and Lego isn't involved. It's fan art or a Cryoshell thing, nothing more.

:kakama:

Where? Seeing as everyone in the Instagram comments is going crazy about Bionicle coming back (again).

xh-Tb-ZVU4-ZUs.jpg

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwX6EVBnKnk/

so this came up. I think G3 is coming. 

"First came the #mythology. Then the struggle for survival in the middle ages and thereafter the age of discovery when present meets future. Is 3 going to B? When hindsight shifts to foresight. Mind of machines #nexttomachines #14b2020"

I think he's name-dropping Cryoshell because he intends to use music for their next album for something. "Is 3 going to B?" probably refers to the question of whether or not G3 will ever truly happen--that is, "is G3 going to be." Lego's not involved, but Faber's hyping this up as having something to do with Bionicle's future in a big way, so I can't even think of what could be going on here. Suffice to say, nobody should be placing bets on what this is all about.

So, what now? What do you think is going to happen? It looks like G3, but what FF said sure is confusing. Is he helping Cryoshell with an album cover or just writing a story for Bionicle (retelling and re-continuing Bionicle G1 or G2 or both or a crossover story with them and Hero Factory). I am certainly not sure.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)