The phrase "Biological Chronicle" does not appear to be copyrighted. Although I would miss sets, I would love for the story to stand on it's own. Many times, the story had to accommodate the sets. If the story were to stand on its own...

… I don't know what I would do. To me, sets are an important part of Bionicle.

• Upvote 1
RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu

The sets drew my interest and brought me here. The story and discussion of it is why I have stayed.

I think the same is true for most fans. We haven't gotten any sets since 2016, and we haven't gotten any good sets since 2009. Yet the fandom lives on, far more active that most fandoms of dead franchises. I'd be just fine with a BIONICLE reboot that was story-only — I might even prefer it that way, since I can only fit so many shelves in my apartment, and the franchise not living and dying by toy sales would probably be good for it.

• Upvote 1

1554824458_Signature1.thumb.png.b92b35987fd64998219a7750ccf7f46f.png134107221_Signature2.thumb.png.4cbc1d79cb2860c534af37071132810a.png

The sets drew my interest and brought me here. The story and discussion of it is why I have stayed.

We haven't gotten any sets since 2016, and we haven't gotten any good sets since 2009. 

Speak for yourself. G2 had superior set design to G1 in every technical sense, and the sets looked mighty fine too, thank you very much. 

:kakama: 

• Upvote 4

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I agree with Pohaturon. The 2015 set designs were very nice. The 2016 sets though... I feel less strongly about those. The Unity Piece play feature removed any potential of gear functions.

As much as I want to collect older Bionicle figures, that's really all I would want to do: collect them. I probably wouldn't take them out as much as my 2015 sets.

Honestly, I just wish 2015 had collectables of some kind. Even if I wouldn't have got them all, just having them there to think about would have been fun. Not to mention extra money in Lego's pockets because of my attempts.

:smilematoro:

To add to the discussion: Lego does not own the names of most early G1 characters, certainly not the original versions. They tended to be derived from foreign languages, most notably Maori, like with Tahu, Lewa, Kopaka, and Pohatu. However, if Faber just uses those exact characters and designs without Lego's permission, he can probably only get away with it if he's not making money on it in any capacity. Otherwise, Lego will have grounds to sue for sure. Even if he changes the designs and powers, it might be too close to Bionicle unless he does a lot of overhauling. If Lego doesn't own the name Bionicle (and I'm sure they do), then Faber has to make up new characters for the most part.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

We've got another one.

The first line of the caption really sticks out to me — "B is a mindset." He's referring to the franchise itself as "B." This might shed some light on that hashtag he's been using. #14B2020. Faber could be saying that he's "one for B(IONICLE) 2020."

I made a comment on the post describing the above theory, and Faber responded with, "you are spot on but the name of the project is tbd."

Edited by JSLBrowning
  • Upvote 3

1554824458_Signature1.thumb.png.b92b35987fd64998219a7750ccf7f46f.png134107221_Signature2.thumb.png.4cbc1d79cb2860c534af37071132810a.png

We've got another one.

The first line of the caption really sticks out to me — "B is a mindset." He's referring to the franchise itself as "B." This might shed some light on that hashtag he's been using. #14B2020. Faber could be saying that he's "one for B(IONICLE) 2020."

I made a comment on the post describing the above theory, and Faber responded with, "you are spot on but the name of the project is tbd."

“To be declared”, “The Bionicle Declaration”, “The Bionicle Dedication”, or “The Bionicle Desolation”?

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

We've got another one.

The first line of the caption really sticks out to me — "B is a mindset." He's referring to the franchise itself as "B." This might shed some light on that hashtag he's been using. #14B2020. Faber could be saying that he's "one for B(IONICLE) 2020."

“To be declared”, “The Bionicle Declaration”, “The Bionicle Dedication”, or “The Bionicle Desolation”?

I believe it means "To be Determined."

As a sidenote, I recognize that picture. I think it was previously on Faber Files.

Edited by Downfall

We've got another one.

As a sidenote, I recognize that picture. I think it was previously on Faber Files.

Yeah. That, and that picture reminds me of Ga-Wahi (where Gali probably had washed ashore) or one 2015 picture where the Toa Masters are hanging out in the beach with Easter-Head-like statues in the island of Okoto.

We've got another one.

Yeah. That, and that picture reminds me of Ga-Wahi (where Gali probably had washed ashore) or one 2015 picture where the Toa Masters are hanging out in the beach with Easter-Head-like statues in the island of Okoto.

It could actually be anywhere on the island. They all have beaches. I agree that it could be Ga-Wahi, or it could be... actually, I think that arch of rock could be what the Great Telescope rests on.

Arch formations would probably happen frequently around Po- and Onu- Wahi.

We've got another one.

It could actually be anywhere on the island. They all have beaches. I agree that it could be Ga-Wahi, or it could be... actually, I think that arch of rock could be what the Great Telescope rests on.

It looks like Po-Wahi.

We've got another one.

It looks like Po-Wahi.

Quite true. But isn't Po-Wahi known for its bronze colored rock formations further inland? Looking at a map of Mata Nui, Onu-Wahi is shown to have many juts of rock just like these, termed the Papu-Nihu Reef.

I'd be really excited if this is a spiritual successor. As cool as the name 'Bionicle' is I think it would be so much more interesting to see what the imaginations of Faber and their team could come up with using the look and feel of the series as a jumping off point. I can see how some might feel that it's deceptive to make such a strong appeal to Bionicle fans if they can't offer something under that exact name but again I think it's the promise of them coming up with something similar to fulfill the role of a G3 that really matters.

Given what they said about funding I imagine that as they continue to flesh out this idea that they'll make a Kick Starter to get it to become a real thing--though doubtfully with LEGO. I don't know how large their aspirations are but given that they're working on this now and seem to be setting 2020 as a checkpoint in development to begin getting actual funding I think this is pretty promising as an original project.

I'm still curious as to what's going on with Rebel Nature since I've also been really looking forward to seeing where that would go but I'm wondering if it's possible that parts of that project are being integrated into whatever this is instead.

• Upvote 2

We've got another one.

The first line of the caption really sticks out to me — "B is a mindset." He's referring to the franchise itself as "B." This might shed some light on that hashtag he's been using. #14B2020. Faber could be saying that he's "one for B(IONICLE) 2020."

One for Bionicle, and Bionicle for all? Anyway, "B is a mindset" tells me he's not literally doing anything named "Bionicle" or anything which is literally an adaptation of it. It may be Bionicle in everything but name, it may be thematically the same with different characters, or whatever. I'm just happy that Lego's not going to force it to have to coincide with a toyline, freeing up Faber and co. to do what they want. Hopefully, they're the right hands for this project; if so, I'll gladly accept this as G3 if it's a big enough project.

• Upvote 1

We've got another one.

One for Bionicle, and Bionicle for all? Anyway, "B is a mindset" tells me he's not literally doing anything named "Bionicle" or anything which is literally an adaptation of it. It may be Bionicle in everything but name, it may be thematically the same with different characters, or whatever. I'm just happy that Lego's not going to force it to have to coincide with a toyline, freeing up Faber and co. to do what they want. Hopefully, they're the right hands for this project; if so, I'll gladly accept this as G3 if it's a big enough project.
Even so, Lego sets for it would be welcome.

IMO the sets ALWAYS got in the way of the story. Like you have this stupid trend of 6 big sets, 6 small every wave, and I think this limits too much of the potential. I remember Greg saying he wanted to kill off some characters, but like TLG didn't let him do it because this characters's set was still avaible. 

I would very much like this is a Comic Series or something like that. 

Isn't faber legally allowed to do Fanfiction and Fanart of Bionicle? This would solve things.

• Upvote 2

We haven't gotten any sets since 2016, and we haven't gotten any good sets since 2009.
Speak for yourself. G2 had superior set design to G1 in every technical sense, and the sets looked mighty fine too, thank you very much.

G2’s poseability was inferior to late G1, honestly, which is important to me. I can hardly move a G2 Toa’s head without removing their mask. Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

IMO the sets ALWAYS got in the way of the story. Like you have this stupid trend of 6 big sets, 6 small every wave, and I think this limits too much of the potential. I remember Greg saying he wanted to kill off some characters, but like TLG didn't let him do it because this characters's set was still avaible. 

Isn't faber legally allowed to do Fanfiction and Fanart of Bionicle? This would solve things.

I never got that, even as a kid. Always 6 villains, always with colors corresponding to the good guys. The '09 arc at least tried to mix it up by messing with the good guy:bad guy ratio.

G2’s poseability was inferior to late G1, honestly, which is important to me. I can hardly move a G2 Toa’s head without removing their mask.

I don't know how anyone has this problem. I just squeeze the head from the front and the back or hold it by the "skull" part, and I can move it just fine. Besides that, there's more articulation in the Uniters than any standard G1 set, with the only issues being pretty easy to mod out.

EDIT: BTW, look at the latest image Faber posted. At the top of the canister, there's a Matoran letter--either E or M, depending on the orientation. Could stand for the occupant's name, which would mean new characters.

Edited by Sir Keksalot
  • Upvote 2

I never got that, even as a kid. Always 6 villains, always with colors corresponding to the good guys. The '09 arc at least tried to mix it up by messing with the good guy:bad guy ratio.

G2’s poseability was inferior to late G1, honestly, which is important to me. I can hardly move a G2 Toa’s head without removing their mask.

I don't know how anyone has this problem. I just squeeze the head from the front and the back or hold it by the "skull" part, and I can move it just fine. Besides that, there's more articulation in the Uniters than any standard G1 set, with the only issues being pretty easy to mod out.

EDIT: BTW, look at the latest image Faber posted. At the top of the canister, there's a Matoran letter--either E or M, depending on the orientation. Could stand for the occupant's name, which would mean new characters.

I don't have that problem with G2 heads. As long as I hold on to more than just the mask, it's perfectly fine.

Or, the letters con stand for “Elemental” or “Matoran” or “Mata”. The Toa Mata are related to those things.

That’s what I’m talking about: the “brain” is meant to be pushed on to knock off the mask. That was my first instinct, as that’s how I always moved the Metru heads, and it always launches the mask of. It’s kind difficult for me to grab the “skull” part without disrupting the “brain” or the mask. I don’t have the best dexterity.

And more points of articulation does not inherently mean better poseability. (Am I spelling that right? Is it even a word?) With the 2015 sets in particular, I felt their armor often got in the way of poses. I only got one Uniter (Gali) and I don’t think I’ve actually opened her yet, so I can’t really speak to them.

I’m particularly partial to the standard introduced with the Toa Inika, and people will probably criticize me on that for various reasons (“2006 was the year it got too dark and edgy!” or “They overused that body type and never did anything new!”). But it worked the best for me.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Gonna take back what I said earlier: the art Faber just posted is from a few years back, so unless he's wanted to do this since then, which isn't likely, the letter at the top is meaningless.

That’s what I’m talking about: the “brain” is meant to be pushed on to knock off the mask. That was my first instinct, as that’s how I always moved the Metru heads, and it always launches the mask of. It’s kind difficult for me to grab the “skull” part without disrupting the “brain” or the mask. I don’t have the best dexterity.

And more points of articulation does not inherently mean better poseability. (Am I spelling that right? Is it even a word?) With the 2015 sets in particular, I felt their armor often got in the way of poses. I only got one Uniter (Gali) and I don’t think I’ve actually opened her yet, so I can’t really speak to them.

I’m particularly partial to the standard introduced with the Toa Inika, and people will probably criticize me on that for various reasons (“2006 was the year it got too dark and edgy!” or “They overused that body type and never did anything new!”). But it worked the best for me.

It varies by Uniter. Lewa and Pohatu have really weirdly-designed shoulders, but the rest are pretty good. The waist hinge, in particular, adds a lot of expression to the poses you can make. I found various ways to mod their shoulders to fix them up pretty nicely, but that took a few generic parts from other sets.

Just slightly off topic, but I just wanted to take a breather from all the speculation and potential hype and say how incredible Faber's art is. Particularly the landscapes around the canisters in both pictures is quite remarkable I dare say. :)

That's all. Back to speculation discussion now :P

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

Just slightly off topic, but I just wanted to take a breather from all the speculation and potential hype and say how incredible Faber's art is. Particularly the landscapes around the canisters in both pictures is quite remarkable I dare say. :)

The art is quite detailed, isn't it?

The art is quite detailed, isn't it?

I quite enjoy Faber's concept art. One of the more detailed ones is the Ga-Kini, or some kind of arena.

Christ, you guys are slow.

More to the point, there's some very interesting details here:

• Faber alludes to evolution, calling it a "game of chance," which it kind of is. This implies that 3IONICLE will address some subject that can only be dealt with by considering deep time, and may deal with themes of existence and a place in the natural world.
  • He also asks if we're "ready for the surface." Surface of what? Is it a physical surface, or a metaphysical one?
  • This canister is stuck in ice, unlike the last one, which washed up on a beach. This could mean that the Toa will spawn from their native elements rather than all coming from the same place.
  • The canister is more detailed and has the current year written beneath Faber's signature, likely signifying that this is the final or near-final design for the canisters.
  • Upvote 1

Maybe we will have a Ko-Toa leading the team this time.

I don’t know. It’s like Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, where Raphael is the leader of the Turtles instead of Leonardo. It doesn’t feel right. Kopaka just has a bad temper. I mean, he is a bit strict. Sometimes snotty.

I don’t know. It’s like Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, where Raphael is the leader of the Turtles instead of Leonardo. It doesn’t feel right. Kopaka just has a bad temper. I mean, he is a bit strict. Sometimes snotty.

At least he's more intelligent than Tahu.

That's not really reasonable to surmise based on the images we have. Kopaka was shown awakening in the comics, so it's far more likely that we'll see him spawn first in this...thing.

But that's not actually true. He's more thoughtful and perceptive, but not necessarily smarter.

That's not really reasonable to surmise based on the images we have. Kopaka was shown awakening in the comics, so it's far more likely that we'll see him spawn first in this...thing.

But that's not actually true. He's more thoughtful and perceptive, but not necessarily smarter.

What I am trying to say is that leaders should act less impulsively. By that measure, Kopaka is better.

What I am trying to say is that leaders should act less impulsively. By that measure, Kopaka is better.

Ok but that's the point of Tahu's character arc. He needs to learn not to be impulsive and work with others. That's the thing.

We wouldn't have had Bionicle to begin with if it wasn't for the sets, and the sets did provide a perfect way to know what the characters looked like, which might've been hard to do otherwise given how different Bionicle people/creatures are to anything in the real world.

The fact that fourteen new sets had to be released and many of them had to be characters every single year did make the cast a bit bigger than it needed to be, though. Characters like the Rahaga and Voya Nui Matoran had almost nothing to do that was vital.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, guys. It’s been some time since we got another Instagram post about 3ION stuff. However, today, I noticed a new pic. It’s just a pic of a canister in an iceberg, but with the 3-shaped B on the top right corner. Check it out in Faber’s Instagram page.