Do the Toa Mata Silver Kanohi have a story?

It's essentially the same thing: when a Great Kanohi isn't being worn, it's silver. But when a Toa puts it on, their elemental energy fills the mask and changes it to their color (when removed, it changes back to silver).

Oh of course! That’s fantastic thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly, back in 2002 we were told that the silver Kanohi represented fusions of three ordinary Kanohi, whereas the golden masks were fusions of six. It wasn't until later that fans started to see the silver masks as not-worn Kanohi. Understandable really, since it makes much more sense that way and we never had any "lesser versions" of the golden Kanohi in story.

• Upvote 1

Interestingly, back in 2002 we were told that the silver Kanohi represented fusions of three ordinary Kanohi, whereas the golden masks were fusions of six. It wasn't until later that fans started to see the silver masks as not-worn Kanohi. Understandable really, since it makes much more sense that way and we never had any "lesser versions" of the golden Kanohi in story.

I've noticed three different possible colors for unworn Kanohi: dark gray (based on the Hau in the Takanuva set), light gray (based on one scene in MNOG), and silver. Worth noting that light gray is also the color of Turaga Nuju's masks.

My understanding was that the original declared purpose of the Silver Kanohi was three-in-one power, but that was basically retconned since they were never actually referenced or used. Wairuha has a silver Miru in MNOG, if that counts for anything.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Really? As early as comic #3, Lewa's Miru turns silver when it's removed.

sigbanner.gif

Really? As early as comic #3, Lewa's Miru turns silver when it's removed.

I think you’re referring to the story included in the Power Pack to explain the chrome Hau (standing in for a Rua). I don’t think silver masks were ever officially meant to be a three-mask fusion, since the Aki (also introduced in 2001) is a three-mask fusion, yet it’s gold.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

From the Greg Q&A Nov 15, 2003:

Q: What are the powers of the Golden and Silver Kanohi? I have
    heard many different answers. I know that the silver Kanohi are
    masks that are powerless or not being worn, but do they have any
    additional powers? And does a Golden Kanohi allow to use multiple
    powers (say, shielding and levitation) at the same time? Some people
    have said that a Golden Kanohi also has the power of Valor, but that
    is Aki.

A: My belief is that the golden Kanohi has three powers and the silver
    has the other three.

Note how Greg seemed to think that the golden Kanohi also only had three powers... that's a weird one.

Q: Can you clear up the silver / gray debate? All of the pictures
    show un-worn Kanohi as silver, and the depleted Kanohi Nuva are
    always silver. We know that unworn Kanohi Nuva are silver, so why
    wouldn’t other masks be too? Where did the “gray” idea come from?

A: I have never thought of unworn Kanohi as silver .. because there
    already are silver Kanohi which are not inactive. I have always seen
    them as gray, myself.

And much later, in Mar 10, 2007:

1. Did the silver Kanohi ever appear in the story-line?
A. No

In summary, Greg never saw the silver Kanohi as representing unworn Kanohi. However, from very early on fans have interpreted them as such, because it makes sense. Just another example of a situation where it's simply better to ignore Greg. But canonically, the silver Kanohi are combinations of three mask powers.

Edited by Toatapio Nuva

From the Greg Q&A Nov 15, 2003:

Q: What are the powers of the Golden and Silver Kanohi? I have

heard many different answers. I know that the silver Kanohi are

masks that are powerless or not being worn, but do they have any

additional powers? And does a Golden Kanohi allow to use multiple

powers (say, shielding and levitation) at the same time? Some people

have said that a Golden Kanohi also has the power of Valor, but that

is Aki.

A: My belief is that the golden Kanohi has three powers and the silver

has the other three.

Note how Greg seemed to think that the golden Kanohi also only had three powers... that's a weird one.

Q: Can you clear up the silver / gray debate? All of the pictures

show un-worn Kanohi as silver, and the depleted Kanohi Nuva are

always silver. We know that unworn Kanohi Nuva are silver, so why

wouldn’t other masks be too? Where did the “gray” idea come from?

A: I have never thought of unworn Kanohi as silver .. because there

already are silver Kanohi which are not inactive. I have always seen

them as gray, myself.

And much later, in Mar 10, 2007:

1. Did the silver Kanohi ever appear in the story-line?

A. No

In summary, Greg never saw the silver Kanohi as representing unworn Kanohi. However, from very early on fans have interpreted them as such, because it makes sense. Just another example of a situation where it's simply better to ignore Greg. But canonically, the silver Kanohi are combinations of three mask powers.

I think ge’s said more recently (maybe on the LMB) that the silver Kanohi from the mask packs represent unworn masks (weren’t those a little on the grey side anyway? They were darker than the typical silver color, as I recall).

I think ge’s said more recently (maybe on the LMB) that the silver Kanohi from the mask packs represent unworn masks (weren’t those a little on the grey side anyway? They were darker than the typical silver color, as I recall).

Well, he might've changed his view on them. About time, really.

Well, he might've changed his view on them. About time, really.

Alas, I can’t find a source at the moment.

Is there any official storyline source for what they are at all? Or did LEGO just produce them and for whatever reason never acknowledge them in the story? Not that I'm complaining; they're cool masks just to have.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Is there any official storyline source for what they are at all? Or did LEGO just produce them and for whatever reason never acknowledge them in the story? Not that I'm complaining; they're cool masks just to have.

I don’t think so, no. Could be that LEGO saw that unused masks were dull grey, so they produced dull metallic grey masks to represent them, or maybe silver and gold just go together so stereotypically well that they made silver masks just to complement the gold ones.