You think the fan base is strong?

Lenny7092

Hi, guys. Like the title, do you think the fan base is strong? Well, Bionicle may be second rate in terms of popularity, but Lego doesn’t seem to forget about it. It ran and may have cancelled twice, but it is well remembered. I mean, how well is Bionicle to you? You think that fans are still having faith in and are dedicated to Bionicle (and keep on wishing that it can come back somehow)? I’m just asking. It’s like how people remember and praise fondly on Batman from DC Comics and Spider-Man from Marvel (including their movies). For me, I am still a fan for Bionicle, and I always put my faith and dedication on it. I kept asking Lego if they can do anything for it. That “3IO” stuff that we have recently sure seems promising. That is what a fan would optimistically think. Call me “Captain Bionicle” if you will. Lol (think Captain America from Marvel for how he is dedicated for his country).:)

What about you guys?

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

That title reads an awful lot like a challenge.

Hah! You think the fanbase is strong? It cannot hope to stand before my powers of underfunded marketing and mediocre multimedia support! 

:kakama: 

• Upvote 5

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

That title reads an awful lot like a challenge.

Hah! You think the fanbase is strong? It cannot hope to stand before my powers of underfunded marketing and mediocre multimedia support! 

:kakama:

Pohaturon is right about the challenge part.

I'm not optimistic about the "31O" stuff, but it would be interesting if it actually meant anything.

Does anybody here still play with their sets?

• Upvote 1
RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu

I think there is quality rather than quantity. I forgot about Bionicle for about 9 years from being a MASSIVE fan. Only recently now, in my mid-to-late twenties, I have started collecting sets from 2001-2004 purely out of nostalgia. I wouldn’t say I play with them, but I display them with a kind of “sigh of contentment”, try to complete small collections (currently making the Toa Nuva as turaga out of 3D printed parts which is a hobby that’s bringing me a lot of joy), logged onto BZP for the first time in 10 years a few months back, and here I am.

Bionicle has a hold on people, and it doesn’t seem to be breaking in the big picture. Maybe there aren’t the numbers there used to be, but a lot of those early numbers were kids also playing with He-Man and Digimon and PS2 with the same level of passion as, or with more than the passion of, Bionicle.

The ones still here had Bionicle as a real “main thing” growing up, and it kind of “grows up” with you as you get older. That’s what I’ve found anyway. It takes on a different meaning as I get older and I can’t wait to pass it on (if I can) to my son.

Is the fan base growing? No, I don’t think so, maybe even shrinking slightly. Do I think the fan base is strong? If you mean what I think you mean, I think yes!

Edited by msw41
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bionicle as a franchise is convoluted and suffered from "going wide" on its marketing. However, as the once-premier LEGO "action figure" line, it remains something incredible and holds a special place in our hearts. It still keeps its not-so-cult following among generalists and purists alike. The simple fact is, there is nothing else quite like it. Brands come and go, but a construction system like Bionicle has yet to be truly replicated. Bionicle practically established the archetype within the market and is still very much the golden standard for action figure construction systems.

So yes, the fan base is strong and steady. Bionicle is not going away any time soon and neither are we. While the future of a "Gen-3" release is up for debate, without a current LEGO action figure construction system in continuation, something is bound to come along soon enough, whether that is Bionicle, Hero factory or a new brand entirely. You can be sure that we'll still be around to see it hit the shelves when it does.

whether that is Bionicle, Hero factory or a new brand entirely. You can be sure that we'll still be around to see it hit the shelves when it does.

And you can also be sure that people will complain about it not being G1 a whole lot. :v

Yes. A reboot would be a good idea, but you saw how they complained about G2 because of that.

whether that is Bionicle, Hero factory or a new brand entirely. You can be sure that we'll still be around to see it hit the shelves when it does.

And you can also be sure that people will complain about it not being G1 a whole lot. :v

Yes. A reboot would be a good idea, but you saw how they complained about G2 because of that.

Did they? I thought many of us were glad G1 was left where it was.

And I expect the number of people who do want it to continue will drop as we move further from it.

And I expect the number of people who do want it to continue will drop as we move further from it.

I just want to know the fate of Pohatu and Kopaka.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Its one of those situations where there will be complaining about it being/not being from both ends of the scale.

• Upvote 1

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

Its one of those situations where there will be complaining about it being/not being from both ends of the scale.

Let's say Bionicle doesn't come back until 2039. How many then will still want G1 to carry on?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I’m just asking if you guys have faith in Bionicle, including it coming back, and how much faith you put in it. I mean, we’re fans, so I ask how much of a fan are you to Bionicle nowadays.

I don't really want for it to come back. To be honest, Gen 2 felt like a halfhearted attempt in retrospect, and I don't think that Lego will be in a position where it would want to revive Bionicle with the same fervor that it had when they first created it 18 years ago. 

To be fair, I'm just looking for some more fan additions to the Gen 1 story. The open-endedness of 2010's conclusion, as well as the vastness of the MU's history (although 100,000 years is too much in my opinion, I just pretend that every number for year measurements is divided by 10) provide for a lot of opportunities to fill in the gaps with fan projects (examples such as Nick's comics and the Brotherhood of Makuta community MOC project come to mind). What I would really like is to see somebody or a group of people put a bunch of time and energy into making one gigantic "bugfix" for Bionicle lore, where all of the weird and controversial parts of the story are ironed out in a way that's logical and satisfies different parts of the fanbase, and for a bunch of new characters, places, and stories are put into the gaps to make the world feel more lifelike. Perhaps the community doesn't have the willpower to do something like that, or if it did then it wouldn't have the enthusiasm to promote it.

But one of the reasons why Gen 2 had so much hype, in my opinion, is that it was developing before our eyes. I first became interested in Bionicle in 2007, and I was fortunate enough to have an older friend from my church donate all of his Bionicle books to me so that I could catch up on the lore up until that point (the retrospective video only came out in 2008, so I was kind of lost for the first few months of my involvement). But I can only imagine how exciting it would've been to be there from the very beginning, at the very first MNOG update, and to have seen the story grow and evolve over time, as well as participating in the once-vibrant community that accompanied it. Maybe if the fans got together and were cohesively invested in a single project, a similar atmosphere of interest could be kindled. It would be a very difficult task considering the dreary state of the fans these days, but I think if there's a will then there's a way.

But I can only imagine how exciting it would've been to be there from the very beginning, at the very first MNOG update, and to have seen the story grow and evolve over time, as well as participating in the once-vibrant community that accompanied it.

It was definitely exciting for the first four years, but it got less so once the story got a lot more complicated and there wasn't as much canon media available to follow it with.

But I can only imagine how exciting it would've been to be there from the very beginning, at the very first MNOG update, and to have seen the story grow and evolve over time, as well as participating in the once-vibrant community that accompanied it.

It was definitely exciting for the first four years, but it got less so once the story got a lot more complicated and there wasn't as much canon media available to follow it with.

I think it would be the first 5 years, because 2005 didn't complicate things too much, and there was that Rahi guide...

I think it would be the first 5 years, because 2005 didn't complicate things too much, and there was that Rahi guide...

2005 wasn't very exciting because we already knew what would happen thanks to the 2004 movie giving away the ending.

You could say the same thing about 2004 because we already knew that the Matoran would be forced to leave Metru Nui along with the Toa Metru/Turaga.

But we had absolutely no idea how or why that would happen, then the 2004 movie mostly told us...but then 2005 expected us to still be interested after that.

Plus there were the new characters Dume, Lhikan, Nidhiki and Krekka and we didn't know what would happen to them. I guess 2005 did have the Rahaga and Keetongu, but they weren't as prominent in the story.

Edited by Sir Kohran

If you're asking about physical strength, I'm not sure what percentage of the fanbase lifts...oh not that kind of strength...

I think there's a chance it'll return in the future. From '04-'08 and '15, I took a great interest in Bionicle. I still have so many of my old pieces and sets, but I never use them anymore. I do still play the 2003 gamecube game every-so-often. I can start and beat that game in an afternoon at this point, but it's still a great source of nostalgia for me. I love that game! I hope in the future, if we get Bionicle again, we get an actual dedicated console game, not just a bunch of gimmicky mobile game.

In short, I think there's still a strong fanbase for Bionicle, but like others have said: quality vs quantity.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

• 1 month later...

Let's say Bionicle doesn't come back until 2039. How many then will still want G1 to carry on?

I'll carry the torch to my grave

cringe