Why Greg stopped continuence of G1 storyline?

They've basically hit on the major issues, his daughter and his other commitments at LEGO. I believe he's also the Chief Editor of the LEGO Magazine.

It's important to keep in mind that we weren't entitled to a completed story. Exo-Force (2006-8) ended abruptly with the heroes being ambushed by the robots. The only reason BIONICLE got any semblance of a conclusion was because Greg chose to compress the 2010 and 2011 story arcs into one half-year. Neither choice was going to give us fans everything we wanted, but in hindsight, it was a great concession on his and LEGO's part to do it. We can't really expect him to keep on with a story for free on his own time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

He wasn’t being paid to do the serials, ever. Not even before he knew the franchise was being cancelled. It was all done on his own time. The only reasons he kept doing them after the cancellation were because he was passionate about the story and close with the fanbase.

And TLG didn’t want him working on finishing the serials later when the reboot was announced because it would have distracted from the new story.

• Like 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

He wasn’t being paid to do the serials, ever. Not even before he knew the franchise was being cancelled. It was all done on his own time. The only reasons he kept doing them after the cancellation were because he was passionate about the story and close with the fanbase.

And TLG didn’t want him working on finishing the serials later when the reboot was announced because it would have distracted from the new story.

Well, the reboot is gone now. I bet the serials can be finished during Bionicle G2’s absence somehow. There will be a Ghostbusters 3 movie rather than continuing on with the reboot in 2016, so that could be possible. People prefer G1 over G2. Nowadays, some franchises were demanded by the fans to be finished after a long time, even through petitions. Look at Samurai Jack and Hey Arnold in 2017. They’re finished after 13 years while the fans demanded endings for them.

I don’t know if Greg could continue the serials somehow now that G2 is gone, though. It depends on him and Lego.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Well, the reboot is gone now. I bet the serials can be finished during Bionicle G2’s absence somehow. There will be a Ghostbusters 3 movie rather than continuing on with the reboot in 2016, so that could be possible. People prefer G1 over G2. Nowadays, some franchises were demanded by the fans to be finished after a long time, even through petitions. Look at Samurai Jack and Hey Arnold in 2017. They’re finished after 13 years while the fans demanded endings for them.

I don’t know if Greg could continue the serials somehow now that G2 is gone, though. It depends on him and Lego.

I never even considered G2 being an obstacle to the G1 story continuing, just because I thought of it as a dead issue by that point. We all pretty much knew it was over by 2012, since it had been over a year since we'd had an update by that point.

Nowadays, whenever I get a LEGO or BIONICLE set from the past that I never got as a child, I feel melancholic. Even though I have it now, it still doesn't change that my nostalgia is of a time when I didn't. When the Toa Hordika line was originally released, I bought Vakama, Matau, and Nuju in stores. I got Whenua, Nokama, and Onewa much more recently secondhand. Even though I have them all now, I still draw that mental distinction between what I did have and did not have. I feel like something similar would happen if G1 were to receive any kind of proper ending.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

You can’t really compare Samurai Jack, Hey Arnold! and Ghostbusters to this. Those franchises, as TV shows and movies, are story driven inherently. This depends on toys, and the story is really just a fancy form of advertising.

• Upvote 1

You can’t really compare Samurai Jack, Hey Arnold! and Ghostbusters to this. Those franchises, as TV shows and movies, are story driven inherently. This depends on toys, and the story is really just a fancy form of advertising.

I would argue Transformers was originally a toy-based franchise that later expanded to become primarily story-based.

• Upvote 1

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

I would argue Transformers was originally a toy-based franchise that later expanded to become primarily story-based.

Yes. Both Bionicle and Transformers are known to have stories as the most interested parts of themselves. I mean, we love their stories as much as toys.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Eh, I'd say that's still more about the toys.

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

Yes. Both Bionicle and Transformers are known to have stories as the most interested parts of themselves. I mean, we love their stories as much as toys.

My observation, at least, has been that, before the Michael Bay movies, Transformers was primarily a toy line with an associated story, but I don't remember wanting or seeing advertisements for Michael Bay Transformers toys that much. The advertising and cultural relevance was almost exclusively on the movies. BIONICLE has only existed in the first phase. My hope with this Christian Faber stuff is that it could successfully transition to phase two.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

My observation, at least, has been that, before the Michael Bay movies, Transformers was primarily a toy line with an associated story, but I don't remember wanting or seeing advertisements for Michael Bay Transformers toys that much. The advertising and cultural relevance was almost exclusively on the movies. BIONICLE has only existed in the first phase. My hope with this Christian Faber stuff is that it could successfully transition to phase two.

It's true that Hasbro is a little more involved in the media angle of their brands than Lego is (unlike Lego, they have started their own movie and TV studios to produce content based on their brands), but make no mistake—toys are still their primary business. As someone who has worked there, the toys are a big deal, and like with Bionicle tend to shape the direction and emphasis of the story content.

And honestly, I don't really want to see a Bionicle that's divorced from the toy aspect. As a Lego fan, I doubt a version of Bionicle like that could ever really live up to the Bionicle of my childhood, in which the story and the toys reinforced one another.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I just want to throw this out there: if the BIONICLE name got revived/rebooted independently of toys as a TV show or movie, there’s a good chance there would be toys based on it anyway. A toy-free BIONICLE just seems unrealistic (not to mention unwanted, at least by me).

And don’t a lot of Transformers fans hate those movies anyway?

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese