Low-budget reboot ideas

Alyska

So, we've all seen Christian Faber's posts and cryptic comments. My interpretation is that he wants to reboot Bionicle, or make a spiritual successor of some kind, and intends to approach Lego with the idea, if he hasn't done so already.

Now, what we might need to consider is that Lego may not want to relaunch Bionicle as a constraction line. So the main product (the sets) may no longer be produced. 

But what if Faber found a way to remake Bionicle (or a spiritual successor) without the original product? Could it be done with a relatively small story/marketing team, and still  be successful? Could it even draw in new fans?

And what sort of medium/format should be used to tell the story in this case?

I'm thinking it ould be largely largely web-based content, using media such as the following.

- Webcomics

- Serialised story Podcast/audiobook

- Serialised fiction, possibly with an interactive component (e.g polls to determine characters' choices)

- Digital stories/picture books with narration

- Online adventure game in the spirit of MNOG

- Character diaries/blogs

-Alternate reality game incorporating hidden clues and codes across multiple websites

- Riddles/puzzles to unlock the next piece of the story (Would unlock when somebody submitted the correct solution)

Admittedly, a lot of these are borrowed from the original G1's marketing, but I think they have the potential to sustain the story on a small scale budget. 

Here's another thought: What if, instead of having a full time marketing team, Faber used the new Bionicle to help kick-start the careers of new artists, animators, web designers and writers? And what if some of those people originated in fandom? Competitions could be held to canonise and publish fans art and stories. As well as showcasing other fandom pastimes such as photography, cosplay sculpture and music.

It's also worth noting that we live in an interesting time for fandom, particularly in Denmark and the rest of Europe, where a new law might soon ban fanwork altogether. So, having a story in which fans were included and respected as influencers and fellow content creators could be a way of both working around that and transforming the broader cultural perception of fandom and fan works.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

I'd be quite interested in a story-only reboot, maybe with comics and a MNOG-style low-production cost point'n'click game, but unless Lego is ready to relinquish the Bionicle trademark (not happening), officially license it to Faber (unlikely) or straight-up rehire Faber for this project (also unlikely imo) it's going to need to change things up to dodge trademark strikes. At that point it would just be that, a spiritual successor with no direct ties to Bionicle.

I'd still be interested, but at that point I'd rather see a wholly original and interesting new IP. It's an all or nothing situation in my mind. Either do Bionicle but then really do Bionicle, or don't, but then don't try to force it into the same mold.

:kakama: 

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki: