Great Disk Matoran

I was imagining that a couple of weeks ago, funnily enough. Given that most of those Matoran were driven by jealousy of their counterparts who did canonically become Toa Metru, though... all I can imagine them doing is returning to their own Metru to gloat over them, now that they finally had something Vakama and co. didn't. Like, Nuju trying to work in his knowledge tower, and Toa Ehrye just hanging around constantly pestering him like "you never thought I could make it to the top, Nuju? Well, who's superior now? Who?" and his presence just royally annoying not only Nuju but all the other scholars too. And the others doing more or less the same thing, too... Toa Vhisola butting into all Nokama's lessons like "I'm a Toa, now you've got to pay attention to ME all the time forever" and constantly derailing Nokama's classes. Toa Ahkmou putting all his effort into making insanely massive statues for the sole purpose of overshadowing Onewa. Toa Orkahm enforcing overly-strict speed limits in Le-Metru just to antagonise Matau.

And finally, one of the more sensible of the new Toa - possibly Toa Tehutti, who seems to be the only one not to have a stated grudge against his respective canon!Metru - has to be all like "Ah, guys? Don't you think maybe we should think about, I dunno, trying to stop the Morbuakh and save the city?"

And the others just all look at each other and, as one, are like... "Nah. Using out new position to gloat is better."

Edited by Darth Jaller
  • Upvote 1

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Given that they formed the Matoran Nui to help the Toa Metru, I think the five of them would've been decent Toa. Maybe a little more arrogant than the official Metru, but decent in that they would've worked towards helping the Matoran and fighting the Morbuzahk and everything. I'm sure Mata Nui was also playing the long game, because the Toa Metru not only had to be worthy Toa but also able to get over their animal nature as Hordika (which the others, suffering from jealousy and such, might've given in to more) and also prove to be worthy leader as Turaga to lead on the upper island in a tech-less environment. I think they would've done well as Toa (also given that we're told there were a lot of Toa in the Matoran Universe, some who were less skilled than others but still got by) but perhaps they weren't exactly what Mata Nui needed for what turned out to be a long running role.

The one exception is Ahkmou, who would've been a terrible Toa; he was jealous and greedy, quick to betray his teammates, and easy for Makuta (or potentially even Roodaka) to manipulate. The other five may have been able to get by, but Ahkmou's inclusion on the team could've doomed them entirely. (Granted, the revelation that he was cheated out from becoming a Toa certainly turned Ahkmou against the Turaga later, but I'd still chalk that up to him being easily manipulated.)

:music:

Edited by xccj
  • Upvote 2

Yeah, those are all good points... and, I will grant, I was exaggerating somewhat for comedic effect. Even if I do feel like their first impulses would have been to use their new forms for self-serving ends before they all banded together, I also would also agree with you; once they did, they would likely have been capable in their own way, when it came down to it.

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

They absolutely would want to show off first, but every Toa team started out petty and grew out of it through their experiences (except the Inika, who broke the trend by starting as functional adults), and I’d like to think these idiots would get there too.  You know, barring Ahkmou.

If we want to get super technical about how the plot would change if this was the only element altered, then…I predict a 100% chance of Bad Ending.  I think it’d go alright through the whole Great Disks/Morbuzakh thing: these Toa already know where the Great Disks are and can gather them up faster, the only real snag is not having the Matoran Nui to bail them out but if Tehutti knows about that he probably also knows about Toa Kaita.  But Krahka would gain Ahkmou’s memories as soon as she transformed into him and probably tell the others he’s planning to betray them.  Supposing they get through that and back to Dume, he’s probably been getting more information on the team since Ahkmou’s still reporting to Nidhiki (who reports to Dume), and he can manipulate these glory-seekers by just inviting them inside, killing everyone but Ahkmou, and telling the people that with the crisis solved the others have gone to help other islands while Toa Ahkmou remains to keep order here.  Even if it doesn’t go that way, Ahkmou undoubtedly betrays the group here, which means Makuta can’t be sealed away, so either the Toa lose or Makuta and Ahkmou retreat…only to return alongside the Visorak Horde when that all goes down, and, yeah, I don’t see how five extra-vain Hordika are going to come out on top then.

But that’d be depressing!

There are definitely ways to spin this into an interesting story if we take some more liberties.  For starters, I think the team would go and visit Turaga Dume right away so they can get their glory; Ahkmou would get his orders from Nidhiki and/or Makuta, and then the team would be formally tasked with destroying the Morbuzakh.  But, someone requests some Matoran be brought along to chronicle their deeds.  Dume accepts, and the Toa each drag along their respective nemesis to really rub in their faces how great they are now.  This is of course accompanied with some general showing off, though I don’t think it’d be so bad with Orkham (who I think primarily wants order and now, as a Toa, gets to actively keep it) and Tehutti (who just wanted general recognition and immediately has that just by becoming a Toa).  These two picking their respective Matoran might also need some extra justification, but…somehow it gets done.  The hunt for the Great Disks still happens a bit faster than in the original, and while it mainly goes the same, the atmosphere is way, way more hostile due to the new Toa constantly gloating and lording their new power over their rivals’ heads.

But there are moments.  Despite feeling frustrated, Nokama still tries to patiently work with Vhisola, and impress upon her that she needs to think more about others.  Orkham has to, uh, “think fast”, and it causes him and Matau to start developing a certain respect for each other.  Nuju tells Ehrye that even if he’s a Toa now, he’s still the same irresponsible oaf, dulling his enthusiasm but still getting him thinking about changing on a deeper level, and Tehutti begins to feel the same way.  Nuhrii doesn’t get the satisfaction he wants out of Vakama’s inferiority.  Of course, for Ahkmou, having to still endure Onewa’s scorn just makes him more vindictive, but they manage to get the job done and kill the King Root.  The Matoran run in to help the Toa when they get trapped, and in order to save them, they put aside their differences and form Toa Kaita to get them to safety and open the way forward.

The Toa would want to report back to Dume, and they probably let him keep the Great Disks and everyone returns home.  Maybe Tehutti still hears about the leak in the Archives and goes to do something about it, leading to a Krahka arc, and Ahkmou doesn’t get found out somehow and goes on to help the Vahki capture Matoran.  Eventually one of the more responsible Toa realizes something is amiss, possibly at the prompting of a Matoran friend, and the team mobilizes.  Stuff happens, and at the end of the ordeal, Ahkmou either still doesn’t get found out, or says he was getting inside info from Makuta so they could stop him, or says he has a change of heart—whatever the case he plays along with the rest of the team sealing Makuta to stay on the winning side.  Things happen normally until the team become Hordika.  Ahkmou Hordika immediately goes to work with the bad guys, and in the end Makuta is still released, and takes both Roodaka and Ahkmou with him.  Neither is loyal…but both are useful.  The rest of the team are healed and take the Matoran to Mata Nui, though Po-Koro lacks a proper Turaga and one of the Matoran (probably Onewa) gets appointed to the position.  This successfully gets us back to 01, just with a few changes.

Since those are mostly minor changes, I’m not gonna work them all out, aside from the Turaga thing the only other big ones are:

-The Kanohi Vahi never got made, but it didn’t matter in canon anyway so WHO CARES

-Ahkmou will eventually return as a Brotherhood servant during the Ignition Saga.  I doubt the Brotherhood would heal him of his mutation (even supposing they could), but they might find a way to stabilize it so he doesn’t become a complete animal.  Where this goes is…up in the air.  Unless we bring along the Great Disk Turaga then Ahkmou won’t be interacting with anyone he has direct history with, so we’d need to put a lot of thought into what his new arc would be.  Maybe jealousy at seeing the Inika/Mahri/Nuva all get along with each other, and realizing that’s what he could have had?  I don’t see him ever redeeming himself, but there’s definitely some interesting stuff that could be done with him.

(Sorry that’s so long, I’m stopping.)

• Upvote 2

Imagine the team somehow makes it all the through the Toa Metru’s adventures, and ends up on the Mata Nui beach with nearly a thousand Matoran Spheres.

“So, uh, guys...the Matoran can’t be woken up the normal way. D’ya think we should...like...sacrifice our powers to wake ‘em up?”

“Nah, let’s go to some other island and show off to the Matoran there.”

• Upvote 3

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water