Toa Hordika Canisters in the US

Okay, I have another conundrum.

Can anybody in the US (lol) tell me why some of the Toa Hordika appear to have light gray canisters (much like the ones in Europe), while others have darker, more metallic-looking canisters (similar to gunmetal), which stand about a millimeter higher than the other type?

Are the darker variants an earlier production run or is this a matter of different locales? I don't really know if any canisters were produced in the US in 2005.

Thanks.

So I was looking at my canisters and noticed yet ANOTHER discrepancy, lmao (2005 was insane).

As it turns out early US Toa Hordika canisters (both light gray and metallic gunmetal) have a distinct pattern on the bottom as compared to EU releases of the Toa Hordika and Toa Hagah. I have no idea what pattern the US Toa Hagah or late US Toa Hordika have (the release where the instructions advertise the other 2005 sets instead of 2004 sets).

• 3 weeks later...

I’ll take a look at my Hordika canisters and see what I find. My Vakama, Nuju, and Whenua are all from the first third of 2005, and my Nokama’s is probably from the summer (bought it in 2006). We’ll see what I find.

Edit: Okay, my results are pretty weird. All of mine are grey (including Toa Iriuini) EXCEPT Whenua, which is the gunmetal canister. This is especially weird since I got both Whenua and Nuju In April 2005 at the same time.

Edited by Daler99
  • Upvote 1

~Daler

• 2 months later...

Thanks! That's super useful. It looks like your canisters all have the same pattern with only minor differences (like the extra ridge around the edges in Vakama, Nuju and Iruini). And the Visorak canisters appear to have the same US-specific pattern as well; that's definitely new info to me.

Here's what my North American Toa Hordika Vakama canister looks like (note the gunmetal color as well):

toa_hordika_canister_pattern.jpg

This pattern appears on every single European Visorak, Toa Hagah and Toa Hordika release I've ever seen, so it's very odd it's also on a North American release. Perhaps it was Canadian or Mexican?

• Like 1