Official BBC Contest #77: Concept Convention Contest!

Official BBC Contest #77: Concept Convention Contest!

It's the classic story of "oh, what could have been." For every final product we see, there's countless concepts that led up to it, or could have been there instead, or very nearly made it to shelves too. There's something about concept art that stirs the imagination.

And most of the time, that's where it has to stop: the imagination. For better or for worse, these are the designs that didn't make it to the end. Why not do something about that? For this contest, build a MOC based on Lego's concept art. Here's some sources to get you started:(Other sources are fine, as long as you link to them.)

Plus, if you'll take a look at the calendar, you'll see it's that time of year again: Brickfair contest time! The final round of voting will take place both on BZP and at Brickfair Virginia, where we will also display the finalists!

There's no time like the present to dive into the past - get building!

-------------------------

You have from now until Saturday, June 29th at 11:59 P.M. Eastern to submit your entries. To submit your entries, just use this handy form. Only one entry per person, please.

Voting:

Preliminary Voting begins June 30th and ends July 3rd at 11:59 P.M. EST.
Final Voting begins August 3rd and ends August 4th at 11:59 P.M. EST.
The contest winner and final voting results will be posted in a separate thread on August 6th.

Rules:

1) Entries may not have been posted on BZPower prior to the start of the contest. It can be posted anywhere else before the contest, but it must never have been seen before on BZPower. Once entered, entries cannot be modified: you're committed to what you've entered. If you withdraw your entry, you cannot enter again that contest. If your entry is disqualified, you cannot enter again that contest.

2) Painted parts, non-LEGO parts, and parts edited in Photoshop are not permitted and will disqualify you. All other LEGO pieces are permitted, but the entry must be at least 75% Bionicle/Hero Factory/Technic.

3) Keep it clean, keep it civil. No flaming, no whining. Unsporting conduct will just get you disqualified.

4) Campaigning for votes (mass-PMing, etc), using multiple accounts to skew voting, and sundry other methods of cheating are only going to end in tears for you. Trust us: we'll know when you're doing it.

---------------------------------------

Prizes:

The first-place winner will receive a 71309 Onua - Uniter of Earth and a 71304 Terak - Creature of Earth. The second-place winner will receive a 71305 Lewa - Uniter of Jungle and a 71300 Uxar - Creature of Jungle. The third-place winner will receive a 71313 Lava Beast. All entrants will be placed into a random draw for a 71312 Ekimu the Mask Maker. Thanks to LEGO for the prizes!

---------------------------------------

Contest Hosts:

Tufi Piyufi
Black Six

Well, what are you waiting for? Get building!
  • Upvote 1
Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

I also wanted to inquire about that rule. Do the MOCs have to be sent out to Brickfair if they make it past the preliminary voting to be considered? I'm based in the UK so for practicality reasons this might not even be possible for me.

:tohu:

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

Cool contest idea! Here are a few more resources that may be helpful:

Good luck everyone! Edited by Infrared
  • Upvote 1

I have one question,

did you say that we have to bring our mocs to brickfair?

I also wanted to inquire about that rule. Do the MOCs have to be sent out to Brickfair if they make it past the preliminary voting to be considered? I'm based in the UK so for practicality reasons this might not even be possible for me.

As we've done many times in the past, yes, the final round of voting will be at BrickFair Virginia. Everyone, however, is welcome and encouraged to send their entry (and other MOCs) on the BZPower Convention Circuit if they cannot attend BrickFair in person. We've been running the circuit for years now with no major issues.

In addition to the perks you would get for sending a MOC on the convention circuit, anyone who sends or brings their BBC Contest #77 entry to BrickFair Virginia will get their choice of 75535 Han Solo or 75537 Darth Maul. That's in addition to the Ekimu raffle and the prizes for the top three. You don't even need to be a finalist!

My suggestion, if you're interested and able, would be to ship your MOC as soon as you've finished building it and taking pictures. You're guaranteed a free set plus the circuit perks, even if you don't make the finals.

I have one question,

As we've done many times in the past, yes, the final round of voting will be at BrickFair Virginia. Everyone, however, is welcome and encouraged to send their entry (and other MOCs) on the BZPower Convention Circuit if they cannot attend BrickFair in person. We've been running the circuit for years now with no major issues.

In addition to the perks you would get for sending a MOC on the convention circuit, anyone who sends or brings their BBC Contest #77 entry to BrickFair Virginia will get their choice of 75535 Han Solo or 75537 Darth Maul. That's in addition to the Ekimu raffle and the prizes for the top three. You don't even need to be a finalist!

My suggestion, if you're interested and able, would be to ship your MOC as soon as you've finished building it and taking pictures. You're guaranteed a free set plus the circuit perks, even if you don't make the finals.

sweet

Hey! I'm Ivan and I love Bionicle, but I am sure yall do too. :P

http://www.moc-pages.com/home.php/128635

Just putting this out there, but I feel like Lava Beast should've been 1st place price than 3rd, sense the last wave of G2 sets are more impossible to get in the 3rd market than the wave before it. Just saying, it feels like the person in 3rd place would get more than the 1st place winner.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Are prototypes of sets that look nothing like the final design allowed as inspiration? I'd argue that falls under "these are the designs that didn't make it to the end." But all links to examples showed drawings and 2D art. These first came to mind, along with prototype Kanohi, when I read the topic:

prototypeskanokaclub.jpg_thumb.jpg

-CF

Edited by ChocolateFrogs

nexo_shields_9.jpg

Are prototypes of sets that look nothing like the final design allowed as inspiration? I'd argue that falls under "these are the designs that didn't make it to the end." But all links to examples showed drawings and 2D art. These first came to mind, along with prototype Kanohi, when I read the topic:

prototypeskanokaclub.jpg_thumb.jpg

-CF

Yes, they are.
Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

I have one question,

So even if I don't make it to that round I can just send it to you and still gain a prize?

So even if I don't make it to that round I can just send it to you and still gain a prize?

Correct. We know shipping your MOC can be a big deal, so we're thanking everyone who sends their entry to BrickFair with a free set.

Sweet! ok I might as well send it to you once I am finished.